Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem

I once had a problem. I, at one time, wanted everything Star Wars. Once I start down a collecting path, I have to buy everything. I am a completest in a lot of ways. I started buying the EU novels and bought everything, even the stinkers and rarer books. I bought a few of the Dark Horse comics and bought and bought and bought until I had them all.

The solution was quite simple: I ask myself before even looking for something to buy: do I have any nostalgia what-so-ever for the item(s) in question? If not, chances are I will not buy it. I buy items I either had as a kid (and have fond memories of playing with or having such items) or wanted as a kid.

Case in point, I've been looking at the Burger King glasses and wanted them all. The Star Wars ones have been climbing in price and was not sure I wanted to spend the money on them. They are not big money, but it is ~$50+ I could spend on something else. I was 3 when Star Wars came out and saw Empire when I was 6 in the theater, but barely remember it. RotJ I have fond memories of seeing at the theater. Growing up, I had some of the ESB and RotJ glasses and they meant something to me (I used the heck out of the Darth and Boba ESB glass!). I recently bought both sets and greatly enjoy having them. I do not even recall the Star Wars glasses and will not pursue them as I have no emotional attachment to them.

I did not have a Tie Fighter (except for the Interceptor) or Darth's Tie as a kid but really, really wanted one. Still looking for nice, mint-as-can-be examples. Have not found either yet. Getting tougher with the original Tie, those stickers are always goofy.

This has really helped my "gotta get them all" mentality.
    Last edited by comicalUser; 09-03-2019 at 08:05 PM.

As others have suggested, you may want to consider considerably downsizing your collection to an amount that you feel comfortable with. I think itís better to have quality stuff that can be displayed and enjoyed on a regular basis. Sometimes less is more.
    Wanted: Jawa sample proofs,a textured cape Leia, and any Boushh proofs. I'm also currently looking for a 21 ESB back Leia Organa proof. I have cash and many great trade items!
    My Feedback:http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1070625/

Quote Originally Posted by comicalUser View Post
    I once had a problem. I, at one time, wanted everything Star Wars. Once I start down a collecting path, I have to buy everything. I am a completest in a lot of ways. I started buying the EU novels and bought everything, even the stinkers and rarer books. I bought a few of the Dark Horse comics and bought and bought and bought until I had them all.

The solution was quite simple: I ask myself before even looking for something to buy: do I have any nostalgia what-so-ever for the items(s) in question? If not, chances are I will not buy it. I buy items I either had as a kid (and have fond memories of playing with or having such items) or wanted as a kid.

Case in point, I've been looking at the Burger King glasses and wanted them all. The Star Wars ones have been climbing in price and was not sure I wanted to spend the money on them. They are not big money, but that it is ~$50+ I could spend on something else. I was 3 when Star Wars came out and saw Empire when I was 6 in the theater, but barely remember it. RotJ I have fond memories of seeing at the theater. Growing up, I had some of the ESB and RotJ glasses and they meant something to me (I used the heck out of the Darth and Boba ESB glass!). I recently bought both sets and greatly enjoy having them. I do not even recall the Star Wars glasses and will not pursue them as I have no emotional attachment to them.

I did not have a Tie Fighter (except for the Interceptor) or Darth's Tie as a kid but really, really wanted one. Still looking for nice, mint-as-can-be examples. Have not found either yet. Getting tougher with the original Tie, those stickers are always goofy.

This has really helped my "gotta get them all" mentality.
    I love these kind of stories.
    Always look on the bright side of life...

WTB: Vintage Collection Hoth AT AT. Either the box on its own or the box with vehicle.

I really haven't thought about parting out or downsizing my collection. If I had to, I guess I would.

I think I would be sorry down the road if I parted with any figures. I think we all can agree that there's a lot of fluff when it comes to the figures. Atleast a third of these were peg warmers or ignored . Now they're considered higher than they used to be so we can complete a full set. Needless to say, it would be hard to pick the figures to keep or sell.

Ships and playsets. Vader's Tie, land of the Jawas, Lukes x wing and speeder were the only ones I had as a child. Now I have all except the A Wing. Don't have the sonic speeder or battle damaged x wing . Nor am I interested. No mini rigs either.

If I did decide on a down size, I would certainly keep my Y wing, and the 4 originals I had as a child. My hoth stuff would have to stay as well. I would be torn on the falcon. The rest is fun but I can probably let them go.

Definitely keeping the large size kenner. No part out for them.

So, I would say for now, it all stays. Spent years building it.
    F.S.C.M.E. Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123