Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The BB-8 controversy....

The BB-8 controversy....

So I discovered a differing opinion on BB-8 that made me wonder, have I been viewing a scene incorrectly all this time? In The Force Awakens, when Finn reveals to BB-8 what he really is, he then begs the little droid to keep his secret and keep up the act. Don't oust him! Where I am confused is, well, BB-8 responds with his...I guess you'd call it a lighter? This scene always got a big laugh in my audience, but I just recently learned...that there are two interpretations of the scene. I PERSONALLY always saw it as BB-8 giving Finn what's essentially the middle finger, basically solidifying him as a bit snarky and his displeasure at learning Finn is a liar. However, I've now encountered a LOT of people who took it as BB-8 giving Finn a sort of thumbs up. Is this really just a case of up for interpretations, neither right or wrong...just different people will see different interpretations of this scene? Or is there a definitive answer to it being the middle finger or a thumbs up?
    'But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Alice remarked. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: ‘We’re all mad here. I’m mad, you’re mad.’ ‘How do you know I’m mad?’ said Alice. ‘You must be,’ said the Cat, ‘or you wouldn’t have come here.’ - Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

I always thought it was simply "thumbs up"

Quote Originally Posted by MysterioMaximus View Post
    So I discovered a differing opinion on BB-8 that made me wonder, have I been viewing a scene incorrectly all this time? In The Force Awakens, when Finn reveals to BB-8 what he really is, he then begs the little droid to keep his secret and keep up the act. Don't oust him! Where I am confused is, well, BB-8 responds with his...I guess you'd call it a lighter? This scene always got a big laugh in my audience, but I just recently learned...that there are two interpretations of the scene. I PERSONALLY always saw it as BB-8 giving Finn what's essentially the middle finger, basically solidifying him as a bit snarky and his displeasure at learning Finn is a liar. However, I've now encountered a LOT of people who took it as BB-8 giving Finn a sort of thumbs up. Is this really just a case of up for interpretations, neither right or wrong...just different people will see different interpretations of this scene? Or is there a definitive answer to it being the middle finger or a thumbs up?
    It's a thumbs up.

https://www.themarysue.com/bb8-has-no-chill/

Controversies aren't what they used to be.
    Last edited by lister; 08-11-2019 at 06:47 PM.

& I thought this thread would be all about the people he murdered in TLJ
    Last edited by VideoViper; 08-12-2019 at 07:07 AM.
    This post was written is the sarcasm font. It looks like a regular font but contains sarcasm.
    Feedback BST
    I love this Bar! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU3_zzZQzx0

Quote Originally Posted by VideoViper View Post
    & I thought this thread would be able all the people he murdered in TLJ
    I was considering bringing that up actually, how he's basically a freaking superhero now.
    'But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Alice remarked. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: ‘We’re all mad here. I’m mad, you’re mad.’ ‘How do you know I’m mad?’ said Alice. ‘You must be,’ said the Cat, ‘or you wouldn’t have come here.’ - Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

I never once saw that lighter thing as anything but a thumbs up. I'm actually surprised that anyone would see that sequence and think "middle finger"

Quote Originally Posted by HothHan View Post
    I never once saw that lighter thing as anything but a thumbs up. I'm actually surprised that anyone would see that sequence and think "middle finger"
    See maybe it's the pessimist in me, but I saw it as a middle finger because Finn is revealing he's basically, well, a fake, a phony, an *****HOLE! So I thought a middle finger made more sense than a thumbs up.

Chopper maybe. But throughout TFA, we were never lead to believe that BB-8 had that type of personality.
    Looking for:R3-H17, L3-37
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

I think that interpretation says more about you than BB-8, Mysterio!
    Last edited by darthsatan; 08-12-2019 at 02:50 AM.
    May you live in interesting times.

The only middle finger in the Star Wars lexicon is TLJ

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast