Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The BB-8 controversy....

Quote Originally Posted by HothHan View Post
    I never once saw that lighter thing as anything but a thumbs up. I'm actually surprised that anyone would see that sequence and think "middle finger"
    Yeah, I always assumed it was a thumbs up and never even thought it was anything else.
    Y
    #1 want: Admiral Piett (3.75" TVC line)

I'd like to exercise my right to free speech, but I really don't have anything to say at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by HothHan View Post
    The only middle finger in the Star Wars lexicon is TLJ
    Sounds about right.
    S
    #1 want: Admiral Piett (3.75" TVC line)

I'd like to exercise my right to free speech, but I really don't have anything to say at the moment.

I think Finn giving the thumbs up as well should have made it obvious BB-8 is reciprocating the thumbs up. It's also the first I've heard anyone interpreting it differently.
    Last edited by sharky; 08-12-2019 at 08:08 AM.
    Just like the time I could have met Mr. T at the mall. The entire day, I kept saying, "l'll go a little later, I'll go a littler later..." And when I got there, they told me he just left. And when I asked the mall guy if he'll ever come back again, he said he didn't know. Well, I'm never going to let something like that happen again!

Yeah, it's quite obviously a thumbs up.

This kind of makes me wonder what other, slightly more complex aspects of Star Wars some people may have misunderstood.

Quote Originally Posted by MysterioMaximus View Post
    So I discovered a differing opinion on BB-8 that made me wonder, have I been viewing a scene incorrectly all this time? In The Force Awakens, when Finn reveals to BB-8 what he really is, he then begs the little droid to keep his secret and keep up the act. Don't oust him! Where I am confused is, well, BB-8 responds with his...I guess you'd call it a lighter? This scene always got a big laugh in my audience, but I just recently learned...that there are two interpretations of the scene. I PERSONALLY always saw it as BB-8 giving Finn what's essentially the middle finger, basically solidifying him as a bit snarky and his displeasure at learning Finn is a liar. However, I've now encountered a LOT of people who took it as BB-8 giving Finn a sort of thumbs up. Is this really just a case of up for interpretations, neither right or wrong...just different people will see different interpretations of this scene? Or is there a definitive answer to it being the middle finger or a thumbs up?
    LOL, That's exactly how I saw it as well BB-8 flipping Finn the bird. Finn was pushing BB into something he didn't want to do, so ergo... and it made me chuckle.
    I posed this way back then and almost everyone replied almost as if they were offended by how I could perceive it like that . This was also when fandom wasn't as divided as now.
    Last edited by Oofa; 08-12-2019 at 10:13 AM.
    "Without respect - we reject!"

My custom Hoth Rebel Turret thread

Quote Originally Posted by Oofa View Post
    LOL, That's exactly how I saw it as well BB-8 flipping Finn the bird. Finn was pushing BB into something he didn't want to do, so ergo... and it made me chuckle.
    I posed this way back then and almost everyone replied almost as if they were offended by how I could perceive it like that . This was also when fandom wasn't as divided as now.
    I mean I knew I wasn't alone in my interpretation, but I was starting to think I was alone on Rebelscum. Hah! So glad to see I'm not alone. See for me, I don't really understand how it's that shocking TO interpret it as a middle finger. The context of the scene involves Finn revealing he's been lying. He's selfish! He then has the nerve to ask BB-8 to keep his secret. It's rude! I think BB-8 essentially begrudgingly agreeing but with an added "Screw you!" adds up. Not to mention, it always gets a big laugh. The middle finger is just...well...funnier than a thumbs up, which is more cute than humorous. Just because Finn gives a thumbs up doesn't really mean anything toward the context of his reply. But I mean, if it's confirmed the intent of the scene was a thumbs up, there it is. But I never originally saw it that way.
    Last edited by MysterioMaximus; 08-12-2019 at 11:27 AM.
    'But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Alice remarked. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: ‘We’re all mad here. I’m mad, you’re mad.’ ‘How do you know I’m mad?’ said Alice. ‘You must be,’ said the Cat, ‘or you wouldn’t have come here.’ - Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

Movies can be soooooo confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by lister View Post
    Movies can be soooooo confusing.
    Forums can be soooooo snarky.
    'But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Alice remarked. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: ‘We’re all mad here. I’m mad, you’re mad.’ ‘How do you know I’m mad?’ said Alice. ‘You must be,’ said the Cat, ‘or you wouldn’t have come here.’ - Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

Quote Originally Posted by lister View Post
    ....... makes me wonder what other, slightly more complex aspects of Star Wars some people may have misunderstood.
    'Professional' critics mistakenly thought TLJ was good. There's an example for you.
    May you live in interesting times.

Quote Originally Posted by MysterioMaximus View Post
    Forums can be soooooo snarky.
    You're right. I forgot we were discussing serious business.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast