Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: The Battle droid problem...

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by HothHan View Post
    The German army should be portrayed as useless Nazi morons in WWII movies... because the German army was a bunch of useless Nazi morons.
    Actually, forget it.
    Last edited by CellBlock1138; 08-04-2019 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Not worth the time.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by CellBlock1138 View Post
    But, what's the point in that though Max? When you make your antagonists crap, there's no reason to give a damn about anything that happens to the protagonists.



    I thought the design was meh. Too cutesy and with their little voices going "Roger, Roger..." Gawd...



    They're so crap, even an army of Gungans - the dumbest aliens in the Star Wars universe - could stop them with the greatest of ease. So, again, what was the point.

    It's just bad design from beginning to end.

    This is how you do good guy/bad guy robots:





    I've just realised that V.I.N. Cent is probably the inspiration for BB-8.
    Oh no bud, don't get me wrong! I'm with you here all the way! I just kind of like the design is all. You know, one thing I DID always wonder though? Is it just me or do the eyes appear more painted on instead of actual eyes? Now I'm sure that's largely due them ACTUALLY just being painted onto the prop, but I wonder what the in-universe explanation for that is. Sensors I guess? I was alright with the voice, though, in Phantom Menace. The original voice. It sounded more mechanical. But once it hit Revenge of the Sith, the vocals on the Battle droids are AWFUL! Very animated and cartoonish.

    But absolutely, to your next point and perhaps my entire point of the whole post, there are def. ways of still retaining a minion like character that (ultimately) doesn't really accomplish much (particularly over on our main protagonists obviously) but can STILL be threatening! Good examples would be Stormtroopers and perhaps the best usage of minions that are still expendable but def. ooze intimidation are the Uruk Hai and Orcs in LOTR. I don't think that's because they essentually are monsters either, because the Orcs/Goblins in The Hobbit are very far from frightening. It's all in how you do minions, so when you make them a joke like the Battle droids, well...you just lack any tension and the lack of that can really take you out of a film.

    Quote Originally Posted by CellBlock1138 View Post
    Actually, forget it.
    LMFAO! I toooooooooooootally know what you were going to say...because I was going to say it. Then it also dawned on me, know what, it's not worth it. Don't even go there! =P
    Last edited by MysterioMaximus; 08-04-2019 at 05:52 PM.
    'But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Alice remarked. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: ‘We’re all mad here. I’m mad, you’re mad.’ ‘How do you know I’m mad?’ said Alice. ‘You must be,’ said the Cat, ‘or you wouldn’t have come here.’ - Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by MysterioMaximus View Post
    Oh no bud, don't get me wrong! I'm with you here all the way! I just kind of like the design is all. You know, one thing I DID always wonder though? Is it just me or do the eyes appear more painted on instead of actual eyes? Now I'm sure that's largely due them ACTUALLY just being painted onto the prop, but I wonder what the in-universe explanation for that is. Sensors I guess? I was alright with the voice, though, in Phantom Menace. The original voice. It sounded more mechanical. But once it hit Revenge of the Sith, the vocals on the Battle droids are AWFUL! Very animated and cartoonish.
    If you like it, that's perfectly fine. Never let anyone tell you what your entertainment is, and that goes for everyone on here. At the end of the day, it's just a bit of self indulgent rubbish that we use as a pass time.

    Quote Originally Posted by MysterioMaximus View Post
    But absolutely, to your next point and perhaps my entire point of the whole post, there are def. ways of still retaining a minion like character that (ultimately) doesn't really accomplish much (particularly over on our main protagonists obviously) but can STILL be threatening! Good examples would be Stormtroopers and perhaps the best usage of minions that are still expendable but def. ooze intimidation are the Uruk Hai and Orcs in LOTR. I don't think that's because they essentually are monsters either, because the Orcs/Goblins in The Hobbit are very far from frightening. It's all in how you do minions, so when you make them a joke like the Battle droids, well...you just lack any tension and the lack of that can really take you out of a film.
    Well, nobody's designed any real battle droids yet, but I'm sure that those things in the prequels will fail every single requirement there is.

    As for the Uruk Hai (and I'm no Tolkien scholar), but I think that Saruman was desirous of breeding them, because he wanted truly fearsome fighting unts that were completely under his control and they were the ultimate evolution of orcs. Orcs, while menacing, are descended from elves and were deemed useful, but not completely under his will. Goblins, while related to the greenskin peoples were always of a treacherous nature and deemed untrustworthy, but they bolstered armies. But both Orcs and Goblins had existed in Middle Earth alongside the other races for many years, so their neighbours were well used to them. The Uruk Hai (at least Saruman's version of them), on the other hand, were created in Isengard and the other people of Middle Earth had little to no experience of them.

    But, your point stands. Battle Droid threat level = 0. Uruk Hai threat level = 11.

    I would not like to face off against something like that.
    Last edited by CellBlock1138; 08-04-2019 at 06:52 PM.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by CellBlock1138 View Post
    Actually, forget it.
    No...let's hear it.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by HothHan View Post
    No...let's hear it.
    I don't have the time, or inclination.

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by CellBlock1138 View Post
    If you like it, that's perfectly fine. Never let anyone tell you what your entertainment is, and that goes for everyone on here. At the end of the day, it's just a bit of self indulgent rubbish that we use as a pass time.



    Well, nobody's designed any real battle droids yet, but I'm sure that those things in the prequels will fail every single requirement there is.

    As for the Uruk Hai (and I'm no Tolkien scholar), but I think that Saruman was desirous of breeding them, because he wanted truly fearsome fighting unts that were completely under his control and they were the ultimate evolution of orcs. Orcs, while menacing, are descended from elves and were deemed useful, but not completely under his will. Goblins, while related to the greenskin peoples were always of a treacherous nature and deemed untrustworthy, but they bolstered armies. But both Orcs and Goblins had existed in Middle Earth alongside the other races for many years, so their neighbours were well used to them. The Uruk Hai (at least Saruman's version of them), on the other hand, were created in Isengard and the other people of Middle Earth had little to no experience of them.

    But, your point stands. Battle Droid threat level = 0. Uruk Hai threat level = 11.

    I would not like to face off against something like that.
    I want to say Uruk Hai may be the most successful minion type faction in pop culture. While granted, in the film, that made the leader somewhat of an individual character (Lurtz), in the book it's just a nameless horde of them. But they do manage to successful kill a pretty prominent character in Boromir. That's pretty darn rare for subservient grunt type roles.

    I'd say, maybe have the Battle droids, in order to establish they're at least competent and a challenge, maybe have them off a more minor role. Someone like Panaka, where the audience does know who he is, but he's not integral either. That would make them far more menacing. But really, they require much more of a re-write than just that.
    'But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Alice remarked. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: ‘We’re all mad here. I’m mad, you’re mad.’ ‘How do you know I’m mad?’ said Alice. ‘You must be,’ said the Cat, ‘or you wouldn’t have come here.’ - Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by CellBlock1138 View Post
    They're so crap, even an army of Gungans - the dumbest aliens in the Star Wars universe...
    LOL

    Naboo is a world of idiots, sadly. (What do you expect from a people that continuously elect teen girls to rule over them…???) :sigh:

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    LOL

    Naboo is a world of idiots, sadly. (What do you expect from a people that continuously elect teen girls to rule over them…???) :sigh:
    It always makes me laugh when Boss Nass says the surface dwellers "Tink der brains so big..." Really?! They elect children, they allowed a complete invasion because they're so-call peaceful pacifists, but...they have starfighters and eventually fight back? Wha? Their culture is easily one of the most beautiful, but their government is full of utter idiots. I mean they elected Jar Jar. JAR JAR!!!
    'But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Alice remarked. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: ‘We’re all mad here. I’m mad, you’re mad.’ ‘How do you know I’m mad?’ said Alice. ‘You must be,’ said the Cat, ‘or you wouldn’t have come here.’ - Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

  9. #19
    ^^^ It’s SW’s version of dumb and dumber :sigh:

    Boss Nass: The worst designed, CG-rendered, written and performed “character”. Scooby-Doo villains has more nuances to them than this thing. He is literally king of the dipsh*ts.
    Last edited by farmer; 08-06-2019 at 08:04 PM.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    ^^^ It’s SW’s version of dumb and dumber :sigh:

    Boss Nass: The worst designed, CG-rendered, written and performed “character”. Scooby-Doo villains has more nuances to them than this thing. He is literally king of the dipsh*ts.
    Boss Nass is easily among my least favorite SW characters. Firstly, the dude doesn't even look like a gungan. Secondly, even as a stupid teenager who, upon originally seeing enjoyed TPM, I was like "What is UP with the spitting gimmick!?" It's like a cartoon. It's so cringe! Then lastly, he's a complete idiot. For my money, only Dexter Jettster, Holdo, and Rose rival him for the crown of my least favorite SW character.
    'But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Alice remarked. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: ‘We’re all mad here. I’m mad, you’re mad.’ ‘How do you know I’m mad?’ said Alice. ‘You must be,’ said the Cat, ‘or you wouldn’t have come here.’ - Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •