Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: the new droid in Episode IX is pretty much just a hair dryer on a unicycle

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    Thanks Oofa— I read your name as Oola on first glimpse LOOOL

I cannot stress often enough how the principles and concept of form meeting function is applied so masterfully and with such amazing creative restraint in the designs of TPM: It’s such a triumph of film design. The excitement and adoration I have for the designs of TPM can’t be expressed enough in words. It’s a genuine visceral experience that is still as fresh and inspiring to me 20 years later on. I could sit there endlessly listening and watching Doug talk about his design process for this film. The team of Doug, Ian and Trisha are such worthy heirs to Ralph, Joe and John for their work in this film.

I was gutted when George conceded to TPM-bashing and pandered to a campy, kitschy and more accessible sensibility with AOTC. AOTC (and ROTS) look nothing like the meticulously-designed worlds of TPM. Shame.
    I mean, at the end of the day, among the best aspects of the prequels are the designs. I will agree, TPM is light-years ahead of the other two when it comes to them. It's so unique and different even among the other prequels.

I still enjoyed some designs from AOTC's, but some just didn't land with me. I think the best visuals in Clones are on Coruscant. Seeing the seedy underbelly was cool. While I don't particularly like the speeder chase sequence, I ADORE the visuals. It's got a very cyber punk Bladerunner feel. Dexter Jettster and the 50's diner in space is just pure cringe to me. I'm sort of 50/50 on Kamino. I quite like the idea of a water-themed planet, just most of the interiors are very cold and sterile. I suppose that's the point, making it feel somewhat medical, but just didn't overly impress me. So I like Kamino, but it's not a favorite of mine either. The Geonosis stuff sort of delved into 50's sci-fi B-movie styles. I never cared for a LOT of the Separatists themselves as well as their droids and ships. It's not that I think they're too goofy, I can enjoy goofy, it's just the designs were sort of lame IMO. The Geonosians themselves look too, I don't know, cliche Ray Harryhausen bug people. But I will say, I LOVE the arena monsters, even if the Acklay is basically just a bug from Starship Troopers. Fun fact: the audio used for the Acklay actually literally IS the same sound they used for the warrior bugs in Starship Troopers. The film has a lot more recycling or generic designs though. The clone army is, essentially, just a variant on stormtrooper armor. Jango is basically just a pallet swapped Boba Fett with a few new bits added. Dooku, while one of the better characters in the prequels IMO, does admittedly have a rather bland costume. I know the point was to make him appear regal, but it just doesn't pop. The Slave 1 literally is just a color swap. But for me, perhaps laziest of all, is the Jedi starfighter. It's honestly something a kid could have come up with out of Lego. Even the planet Geonosis is somewhat lazy, just very akin to Tatooine. I know it's thematically supposed to be a rock planet, not a desert planet, but it's just very similar. It's a mixed bag when it comes to design work IMO, a far cry from TPM, where I loved practically EVERY design.

But the worst offended, for me, is Revenge of the Sith. None of the new designs stood out to me save MAYBE Grievous himself and the Utapaun leader who's unfortunately on screen for like 30 seconds. It's not that the film is badly designed, it's just I found a lot of them boring. They weren't as eye-catching IMO.
    'But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Alice remarked. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: ‘We’re all mad here. I’m mad, you’re mad.’ ‘How do you know I’m mad?’ said Alice. ‘You must be,’ said the Cat, ‘or you wouldn’t have come here.’ - Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

The PT was so much fun. For anyone that still likes to hate on TPM go watch The Beginning documentary and tell us that you can't appreciate how much love and care went into those movies.

AOTC is one of my favorite films in the Saga.

Even to this day the best of the Disney movies came from the minds of the PT crew (Knoll, Chiang, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by HothHan View Post
    The PT was so much fun. For anyone that still likes to hate on TPM go watch The Beginning documentary and tell us that you can't appreciate how much love and care went into those movies.

AOTC is one of my favorite films in the Saga.

Even to this day the best of the Disney movies came from the minds of the PT crew (Knoll, Chiang, etc)
    Well I mean...ah...I'll say I like the John Williams scores and the design work and world expanding (as a generalized concept) for a lot of them. Unfortunately for me, that's...about all I like.
    'But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Alice remarked. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: ‘We’re all mad here. I’m mad, you’re mad.’ ‘How do you know I’m mad?’ said Alice. ‘You must be,’ said the Cat, ‘or you wouldn’t have come here.’ - Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

Quote Originally Posted by MysterioMaximus View Post
    I mean, at the end of the day, among the best aspects of the prequels are the designs. I will agree, TPM is light-years ahead of the other two when it comes to them. It's so unique and different even among the other prequels..
    As a trilogy, the OT-designs still reigns supreme (Ewoks and the Endor battle cheapened and weakened that solid streak of design vision). Than it’s TPM, followed by RO. There are a few decent designs with AOTC and ROTS, but nowhere near TPM with its consistently solid offering. Even TFA has that crimson armoured pirate and BB-8. I can’t think of a single decent design in TLJ LOOOL

And the design-worldbuidling of TPM makes social/political evolution sense in context to the OT. Whereas this Sequel makes absolutely no sense. You’d think after a generation of what would be the equivalent to our Dark Age in AGFFA, there would be a surge of renaissance in culture and art, with the Sequel era’s design aesthetic vastly different from the OT's… Kathy/JJ/Rian are so creatively-stunted and too hopelessly-corporate they can only think of parroting the cashcow-OT— both in story and aesthetic. It makes no sense that the design of this Sequel era would still be he same as the OT’s.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    [FONT=arial]Every single design from comics/EU is dumb.
    Not entirely. Blanket statements often come form the uninformed. But if you're aware of every single Droid design from all sources, then I would say this is simply your opinion.
    T3-M4 and HK-47 don't depart too much from what we see on the OT. So they're no more dumb, that any other aspect of Star Wars.
    Looking for:R3-H17, L3-37
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Masterfett View Post
    Not entirely. Blanket statements often come form the uninformed. But if you're aware of every single Droid design from all sources, then I would say this is simply your opinion.
    T3-M4 and HK-47 don't depart too much from what we see on the OT. So they're no more dumb, that any other aspect of Star Wars.
    Agreed. HK-47 is a great design.

The sequel trilogy is the most unpleasant for me of all that happened with star wars

It's amazing of how the known Sequel universe,after the Empire) has returned to the Dark Ages! unless I'm senile, what happened to Coruscant? how could a whole Empire full of technology and culture go to pot?(even after only 18 years worth) Yes, Dio looks like a blow dryer on a wheel, but is sort of cute. but aren't a lot of his mechanisms computer generated? compared to the OT, real working droids? That's why the original movie won those Oscars. Will any of the ST be up for awards? effects are becoming very common place-computer generated.

Quote Originally Posted by jjawa3 View Post
    It's amazing of how the known Sequel universe,after the Empire) has returned to the Dark Ages! unless I'm senile, what happened to Coruscant? how could a whole Empire full of technology and culture go to pot?(even after only 18 years worth) Yes, Dio looks like a blow dryer on a wheel, but is sort of cute. but aren't a lot of his mechanisms computer generated? compared to the OT, real working droids? That's why the original movie won those Oscars. Will any of the ST be up for awards? effects are becoming very common place-computer generated.
    ....what? ...that's, that's all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by jjawa3 View Post
    Hm.

Now I'm senile after trying to decipher this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast