Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: i found a vintage cardback!

Quote Originally Posted by Lobotscomb View Post
    I worked in a comic store when I was a kid and the owner taught me something that rings true to this day..."Buy what you like and you'll never be disappointed". Meaning if you buy extra stuff for the value and it doesn't pan out, you may get angry. But if it's something you like you won't care all that much. My biggest regret is and always will be passing up C-3po cases with 4 potf figs for less than $4. I wanted Joes. I clearly remember passing on them to get the new Storm Shadow. BTW I am sitting on TONS of POTF2, i used to buy one to open and one carded for the wall. I ran out of room when they were hot, and sold the loose collection for $500. lucky I did.
    Go a step further, if you collect something **long enough** (most things have value, if it's a $2 hot wheels car, or a $150 POTF1 last 15 figure), and pay attention to condition ( certain fine details), and watch the market for items selling, money can be made. A part of it is supply/demand. For example, I have no clue exactly how many collectors per month are selling their loose figure collection and getting out of collecting vintage (say it's 1-2 per month, either posting here on RS and/or Ebay). That is a fairly low supply of quality loose vintage figures/weapons C8-C9 hitting the market. Now how many collectors are trying to acquire loose figures to finish a complete set per month ( probably at least 10-15 on ebay, on average per month). Demand out paces supply, not just recently but on a whole the last 4-8 years.

Do the math, that's why loose figures have about doubled in value the last 7-9 years, even though hundreds of thousands were produced of a particular figure (high supply at the time of production, but many have been destroyed, lost, etc in the last 30-40 yrs).
    "It is better to light a small candle then to curse the darkness" ~Confucius
    WTB:any ESB Rebel Soldier Proof card
    Refining my broken English to proper English, *cuz John A. said so

Quote Originally Posted by Your_Scoundrel View Post
    The funny thing is that the dry zone started off slowly a few years ago. And by the time the only issues I would face are either "fan" related or I was hit with some type of bad luck. When it comes to the former, it is older than the dry zone issue. Plus some experts claim it is a common issue for a percentage for those who have Asperger's. And the latter is a bigger issue that has me needing a constant reminder to stop being a proverbial Luke Skywalker when it comes to creating goals for myself.

But there is also the flip-side. The only example similar to your announcement is that I met somebody that works for Lucasfilms, Ltd. last year. It was by chance, and he told somebody that he was part of Star Wars Resistance's production team. And what he told me was something that makes me not want to give up on having at least one AFA graded item in my collection(s). Which is why I am kicking myself for tossing out every box I had. Because I bought a 'minty-ish' fresh MOC Star Wars Resistance figure as a means of reminding myself of what he told me.

Then again, I also met Kane through an RPG chat. He was friends with a former online friend of mine, who was part of the indy wrestling scene. But he ended up snubbing me because I also had a friend who is/was a huge Undertaker fan. And I also both met and shook hands with Rob Van Dam at a convention. But my brain ended up breaking when I tried talking to everybody that was not Sergio Aragones that day.
    cool that you met them. closest thing i can say to ever knowing them personally is that ive talked to sgt slaughter on twitter and he followed me the other day. ive enver actually met any of them what imeant to say is i had heard of them
    even though i didnt watch wrestling then.
    i dont do math.
    Last edited by Jadesfire133336b; 08-06-2019 at 05:34 PM.
    darkness rises and light to meet it!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_L View Post
    Go a step further, if you collect something **long enough** (most things have value, if it's a $2 hot wheels car, or a $150 POTF1 last 15 figure), and pay attention to condition ( certain fine details), and watch the market for items selling, money can be made. A part of it is supply/demand. For example, I have no clue exactly how many collectors per month are selling their loose figure collection and getting out of collecting vintage (say it's 1-2 per month, either posting here on RS and/or Ebay). That is a fairly low supply of quality loose vintage figures/weapons C8-C9 hitting the market. Now how many collectors are trying to acquire loose figures to finish a complete set per month ( probably at least 10-15 on ebay, on average per month). Demand out paces supply, not just recently but on a whole the last 4-8 years.

Do the math, that's why loose figures have about doubled in value the last 7-9 years, even though hundreds of thousands were produced of a particular figure (high supply at the time of production, but many have been destroyed, lost, etc in the last 30-40 yrs).
    I bought a death of superman comic over 20 years ago for 25 dollars. Today they are worth 25 dollars. Lol
    F.S.C.M.E. Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

Quote Originally Posted by toyman941 View Post
    I bought a death of superman comic over 20 years ago for 25 dollars. Today they are worth 25 dollars. Lol
    i couldnt find it i ended up buying a collected volume of the whole story hat came with issues number 1 which my sister tells is is a reprint and there fore worthless
    still its cool to have

Quote Originally Posted by Jadesfire133336b View Post
    i couldnt find it i ended up buying a collected volume of the whole story hat came with issues number 1 which my sister tells is is a reprint and there fore worthless
    still its cool to have
    Some reprints can command some money. Some can be a shorter print run than previous prints, and therefore be valuable. Just like first printings of trade paperbacks (collected volume) can be quite valuable, depending on condition (of course).

...sgt slaughter...
    Who is still one of my top G.I. Joes. And thanks to eBay sellers, he is also another character I want but will not be able to afford. I solemnly swear that those in charge of my love life have Kim Arashikage listed as my twin flame. So color me jealous, even though my anxiety keeps me from using anything that is not Facebook.

Oh, and on the topic of comics... comicalUser is correct. Though rare there are cases where a reissue has a higher demand than the initial print. In some cases it was because they screwed up the print run, and others is because they did a variant that is too cool to pass up on.
    Last edited by Your_Scoundrel; 08-07-2019 at 10:50 PM.
    Officially retired from anything tied to Star Wars toys since August, 2019.
    Nobody will believe my reasons. Because history says so.
    Officially returned to 2006-2018 TakaraTomy Transformers since September, 2019.
    No real difference. Just nobody telling me to do what I was already doing it.

Who is still one of my top G.I. Joes. And thanks to eBay sellers, he is also another character I want but will not be able to afford. I solemnly swear that those in charge of my love life have Kim Arashikage listed as my twin flame. So color me jealous, even though my anxiety keeps me from using anything that is not Facebook.

Oh, and on the topic of comics... comicalUser is correct. Though rare there are cases where a reissue has a higher demand than the initial print. In some cases it was because they screwed up the print run, and others is because they did a variant that is too cool to pass up on.
    well thats good news i try to take care of even reprints. i got a mail away sgt slaughter a while back but i dont have his baton im thinking of buying repro baton just
    because joe collectors dont seem to care as much about repros as the sw community does. also id rather pay 12$ for a repro than 30$ for the real thing i mean geez! thast a lot. nearly as much as the leia blaster situation

well thats good news i try to take care of even reprints. i got a mail away sgt slaughter a while back but i dont have his baton im thinking of buying repro baton just
    because joe collectors dont seem to care as much about repros as the sw community does. also id rather pay 12$ for a repro than 30$ for the real thing i mean geez! thast a lot. nearly as much as the leia blaster situation
    I am going to be honest, but most collectors will act like their ways are superior. If the collection does not have volume, then it has to be vintage. So my advice is to never let your enemy see you in your underwear. I mean... Just collect in the manner you feel comfortable collecting. It is your focus, not theirs. And if they have a fit to the point they accuse of being a troll, just remember that you are in a "fan forum". Plus use the finding of the card as a means of writing notes, maybe more. Then again I got lucky with my first professional freelance writing job over a decade ago. So I cannot say more than that.

And also... What Leia blaster situation? (Yes, I am that much out of the loop.)
    Officially retired from anything tied to Star Wars toys since August, 2019.
    Nobody will believe my reasons. Because history says so.
    Officially returned to 2006-2018 TakaraTomy Transformers since September, 2019.
    No real difference. Just nobody telling me to do what I was already doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by toyman941 View Post
    There must be a decent amount of supply out there, and demand isn't high enough (week to week) to see really any price increase. If there were only 8-10 examples on the market week to week, and about 10-13 new buyers in the market wanting to buy (meaning that per week a fresh new 8-10 buyers are demanding this comic, and the week previous about 10 buyers did buy this comic)…. then you'd see some kind of price increase after a steady demand of this sort, after 4-6+ months.

Plus a comic takes up more space then one loose vintage SW figure (volume wise)
    Last edited by Adam_L; 08-11-2019 at 07:19 PM.
    "It is better to light a small candle then to curse the darkness" ~Confucius
    WTB:any ESB Rebel Soldier Proof card
    Refining my broken English to proper English, *cuz John A. said so

I am going to be honest, but most collectors will act like their ways are superior. If the collection does not have volume, then it has to be vintage. So my advice is to never let your enemy see you in your underwear. I mean... Just collect in the manner you feel comfortable collecting. It is your focus, not theirs. And if they have a fit to the point they accuse of being a troll, just remember that you are in a "fan forum". Plus use the finding of the card as a means of writing notes, maybe more. Then again I got lucky with my first professional freelance writing job over a decade ago. So I cannot say more than that.

And also... What Leia blaster situation? (Yes, I am that much out of the loop.)
    anh leia (and by extension bespin and hoth leia) blasters are selling for an average of around 80$ which is way too much for a blaster but with so many lost over the years there arent may left so demand is high
    (plus some collectors could be hoarding but no one really knows) same deal with those damned endor blasters for endor leia, bwing pilot and atst driver they are just so damned small that they are easy to lose.
    so thats making it hard for me to complete my leias (only my boussh is complete)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast