Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Hidalgo On Luke In The Sequels

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I'm not sure if you are keeping up with rumors and spoilers for Ep9, but it seems that they are planning to do just that. However, it's just rumors and maybe a bit of wishful thinking at this point.

However, even if they completely undo everything that TLJ botched, we would then end up with a "trilogy" where the middle act is completely irrelevant. In that scenario, what's the rewatch value going to be on the Sequel trilogy as a whole? I'd say almost nil. If the third movie is just damage control and reversing the mistakes of the second movie, then there is no saving this trilogy. Best to just let Ep9 come and go, then forget all three of these movies ever happened.
    The thing for me is that I WANT to accept this Trilogy. I don't want to dislike Star Wars. I personally enjoyed TFA. I didn't have any issues with it being "safe" or a retread/soft reboot. I thought it served it's purpose as an introduction for newer fans while planting interesting seeds for the next movie and bringing our Legacy characters back into the mix (knowing full well that their end was on the horizon). After TFA I was so incredibly excited for the future movies.

I would have never imagined how bad TLJ would be.

I'd have absolutely no issues with TROS basically voiding TLJ from existence. For me the Saga ends with the last shot of TFA (that beautiful sweeping shot of Luke and Rey). I hope that in December the Saga ends at the conclusion of TROS.

Quote Originally Posted by HothHan View Post
    The thing for me is that I WANT to accept this Trilogy. I don't want to dislike Star Wars. .
    I feel the same way.
    #1 want: Admiral Piett (3.75" TVC line)

I'd like to exercise my right to free speech, but I really don't have anything to say at the moment.

It's becoming bloody hard work though. TLJ made me actually dislike TFA it was so bad.
    May you live in interesting times.

Quote Originally Posted by darthsatan View Post
    It's becoming bloody hard work though. TLJ made me actually dislike TFA it was so bad.
    That's true. I wasn't happy with where TFA started, but after seeing the film I figured, ok, it's something different, let's see where it goes from here. It looked like we were going to see some interesting stuff with Luke and Rey, but TLJ just went in a completely different direction, so of course, many postive thoughts I actually had for TFA kind of went out the window.
    T

I'd like to exercise my right to free speech, but I really don't have anything to say at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by darthsatan View Post
    Yes. I have a difficult time rewatching TFA since TLJ. Knowing where the story goes after TFA ends actually sucks. I waited 2 years to see what Luke's reaction would be to being handed that his lightsaber (you know...Anakin's lightsaber...the FIRST lightsaber we see on screen in the whole Saga) and we all know how that played out.

As it stands right now I'd rather keep the mystery of the Rey/Luke interaction as it was back before TLJ. That is why for me, personally, the Saga ends with the last shot of TFA.

I'm HOPEFUL that TROS changes my opinion. Even if that means "playing it safe" and relying on so-called fan service. Because honestly after TLJ I deserve to have my fan serviced everyday and twice on Sunday.

I saw a lot of mixed emotions on Luke's face at the end of TFA, sadness, hope, uncertainty, as well as a sense of recognizing his new destiny in the force (training Rey). What I did not see was him tossing the lightsaber over his shoulder. So, I can understand your feeling for that scene being the end of the Saga. It would have left open so many possibilities in the future.

I really want to like TROS. I really do, but I'm not sure if it's going to work out.

The thing for me is that I WANT to accept this Trilogy. I don't want to dislike Star Wars.
    Not accepting this trilogy doesn't mean that you dislike Star Wars. I've found that the more Star Wars movies they make, the more of an OT Purist I become. And the more of an OT Purist I become, the more enjoyable and stress-free being a Star Wars fan is.

Will Ep9 redeem the Sequel trilogy? Who cares? It's not like anything Disney does will impact the greatness of the Original Trilogy or rob me of the memories I formed collecting Star Wars toys from 1978-1985.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split. - Robert E. Howard

to be honest, the more movies they make, the more I appreciate the PT as well. not just the OT.
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt60 View Post
    to be honest, the more movies they make, the more I appreciate the PT as well. not just the OT.
    Absolutely agree on that. They just have that certain SW feel to them - I haven't really narrowed it down to what that is. But it seems to be lacking in the newer movies
    - perhaps in some years time, I find that it was there anyway.

A friend of mine keeps saying that there are now more bad SW movies than good.
    Last edited by Oofa; 08-20-2019 at 03:27 PM.
    "Without respect - we reject!"

My custom Hoth Rebel Turret thread

For me the ST can be salvaged if TROS makes the events of TLJ insignificant.
    I agree to a point. TROS can make a difference. TLJ doesn't necessarily need to be insignificant, but it needs to be given purpose, it needs to have some weight applied to the story that isn't there now.

So, here's an exercise...

Episode VII: The Force Awakens
    Luke Skywalker has vanished. In his absence, the sinister FIRST ORDER has risen from the ashes of the Empire and will not rest until Skywalker, the last jedi, has been destroyed.
    With the support of the REPUBLIC, General Leia Organa leads a brave RESISTANCE. She is desperate to find her brother Luke and gain his help in restoring peace and justice to the galaxy.
    Leia has sent her most daring pilot on a secret mission to Jakku, where an old ally has discovered a clue to Luke's whereabouts ...

Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
    The FIRST ORDER reigns. Having decimated the peaceful Republic, Supreme Leader Snoke now deploys his merciless legions to seize military control of the galaxy.
    Only General Leia Organa's band of RESISTANCE fighters stand against the rising tyranny, certain that Jedi Master Luke Skywalker will return and restore a spark of hope to the fight.
    But the Resistance has been exposed. As the First Order speeds toward the rebel base, the brave heroes mount a desperate escape...

Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

*you have three lines to make whatever you like of this third movie... base it on rumors or on your own ideas. I'll post mine once I feel it represents what I think.
    "The Marvel and Transformers team must share a lunch table.
    Star Wars must have sat with GI Joe team." ~ indysolo007

http://starwarslists.blogspot.com/

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast