Thread: Alderaan

Alderaan

I've always been interested in Prequel re-writes, I've done dozens myself, and I discovered a Youtube series dedicated basically entirely to that, even with exclusive storyboard art. But in this alternative pitch, something was said that makes SO much sense to me it's kind of shocking it wasn't done. Make Naboo into Alderaan! This way you have a heightened emotion when you re-watch A New Hope and its destruction. Now granted, we do visit Alderaan at the end of ROTS, but it's very brief. This way you as the audience have now actually been there. You have a direct connection. Have Padme be the queen of Alderaan. This would also make it even more prevalent that Leia is a princess, while still adopted by Bail Organa, it would also mirror her mother having been the queen of the planet she comes to grow up on. It connects mother and daughter better IMO. This ALSO would give more motive for why senator Bail Organa adopted her, Amidala was once his queen. Even just the topographical imagery of what's been know about Alderaan does seem eerily similar to what was done with Naboo. Rolling plains, seemingly elaborate royal strongholds and cities, a predominately pacifistic society. Granted there are some differences too, Alderaan in ROTS appears more mountainous and doesn't appear to have marshes and aquatic aspects, but I def. see more than a few similarities too. These things just seem too coincidental, almost like Naboo was intended to be Alderaan and changed in a later draft.

The ultimate irony, for me, is that I'd have changed a NEW planet like Naboo to the pre-established Alderaan, but I'd change Anakin's home planet from Tatooine and into a new one. In the context of the story, it never made sense to me that Obi Wan would hide Luke Skywalker with Anakin's actual extended family on his birth planet. It also just seems far fetched that both Luke and Anakin grew up so similarly. Whereas with Leia and Amidala, having both been from Alderaan seems more organic to me. Plus Leia is gifted to non-family, also due to his trauma over Padme, I think it less likely Vader would ever return to the place he both met and fell in love with his wife. He might, however, return to his home planet...particularly one where he knows he has family...that is if, by chance, he were to discover earlier that he did have children. I think old Ben took an awfully big risk there. I think Lucas probably just felt shoo-horned into putting Tatooine into the film, it being the most iconic SW planet. I think I, personally, would have made Anakin's home more like Nar Shadda. Some sort of industrial slum planet like Corellia, sort of reflecting how mechanical his body will inevitably become.
    Last edited by MysterioMaximus; 07-23-2019 at 06:11 AM.
    'But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Alice remarked. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: ‘We’re all mad here. I’m mad, you’re mad.’ ‘How do you know I’m mad?’ said Alice. ‘You must be,’ said the Cat, ‘or you wouldn’t have come here.’ - Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

In theory, Alderaan should factor into the Prequel-orbit more prominently. I’d have really look forward to seeing it feature in EPlll more than just a cameo— had the Prequel been solid, that is.

In reality, it wouldn’t mean much within the context of George’s sterile storytelling and 1st-draft filmmaking LOL The debut of Naboo and Coruscant in TPM was visually impressive, and potentially, narratively-rich— only to be a complete letdown with the following prequels' signature of blandness: Nothing happened in these promising set pieces LOL I can’t imagine George would wow with Alderaan at that trajectory.

Maybe Cobalt can give Alderaan’s presence a sense of urgency in the Prequel… He’s been the only one who’s been able to spin the Prequel in a remotely intelligent fashion— albeit only in treatment form, with his Prequel manifesto.

(That brief glimpse of Alderaan at the end of ROTS was giving me Swiss Alps Heidi feels… Hopefully the new Cassian series will do Alderaan some justice-- minus the Heidi feels.)
    Last edited by farmer; 07-23-2019 at 12:13 PM.

@MysterioMaximus

Can you share the youtube link for the Prequel re-writes?
    Last edited by sonofrebel; 07-24-2019 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofrebel View Post
    @MysterioMaximus

Can you share the youtube link for the Prequel re-writes?
    Sure! It's a three part series and I will admit, I don't agree with every change he proposes, but I DO think some are very good and interesting.

TPM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgIC...m&index=8&t=0s

AOTC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAbu...gOC0em&index=8

ROTS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wKq...gOC0em&index=9
    'But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Alice remarked. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: ‘We’re all mad here. I’m mad, you’re mad.’ ‘How do you know I’m mad?’ said Alice. ‘You must be,’ said the Cat, ‘or you wouldn’t have come here.’ - Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'