Thread: Glued Figures (Store Displays?)

Glued Figures (Store Displays?)

Greetings everyone!

Hoping everyone is enjoying their summer. I have recently noticed something odd with figures I've been finding at local conventions and flea markets. I'll pick up a figure to look it over and find hot glue, or super glue, some kind of glue on the feet or back. Have any of you ever found a figure like this? Why might they have the glue?

For instance, I found a beautiful stormtrooper at the bottom of a box of other vintage toys, and the back was covered in hot glue.

Personally, I think they would have been used for displays in toy stores, but I'm not sure. Anything anyone could add is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    MasterRizz

I've seen it happen before, but I've never encountered any with hot glue residue on them. It's possible that a store could have glued them, but to find a figure with evidence that it was used as a store display I would think to be few and far between. I would lean towards some kid having fun with a hot glue gun, but who knows

Also, I don't know of any Kenner produced store display that intended for the figures backs to be glued against a surface. The feet could have been hot glued in some dispays to make sure they didn't fall over, but I don't know of any back glued display.

Given enough time the figures will come apart it could have been glue from being fixed
    This post was written is the sarcasm font. It looks like a regular font but contains sarcasm.
    Feedback BST
    I love this Bar! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU3_zzZQzx0

I remember the Hills Department store in my area used to have a Star Wars action figure and vehicle display during Christmas time. The figures were glued down and the vehicles were held down using wire while the X-wing and TIE fighter were hanging by string. I'm not sure if this was a company wide thing though.

Quote Originally Posted by FettFanster View Post
    I remember the Hills Department store in my area used to have a Star Wars action figure and vehicle display during Christmas time. The figures were glued down and the vehicles were held down using wire while the X-wing and TIE fighter were hanging by string. I'm not sure if this was a company wide thing though.
    I don't know if Hills was ever in Canada, but I think that is exactly what they were used for. The glue I usually find is consistent with what a store would do for a display like that. A red snag I found had glue on it's feet. I would love if stores brought back displays like that!

Did you happen to take any photos of these figures that you could show us?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterRizz View Post
    Greetings everyone!

Hoping everyone is enjoying their summer. I have recently noticed something odd with figures I've been finding at local conventions and flea markets. I'll pick up a figure to look it over and find hot glue, or super glue, some kind of glue on the feet or back. Have any of you ever found a figure like this? Why might they have the glue?

For instance, I found a beautiful stormtrooper at the bottom of a box of other vintage toys, and the back was covered in hot glue.

Personally, I think they would have been used for displays in toy stores, but I'm not sure. Anything anyone could add is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    MasterRizz
    Visit the Canadian Star Wars Gallery:
    http://web.ncf.ca/cn333/starwars.htm
    Star Wars with a Canadian focus
    WTB: a Canadian carded 4-LOM and Kenner Canada 3-Packs / Multipacks

MasterRizz

That's not glue they got slimmed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Bradley View Post
    Did you happen to take any photos of these figures that you could show us?
    I can take some pictures of what little glue is left, but how do I get them on the site?