Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sila Kott death and Battle of Endor space battle in general

I mean at the end of the day, almost every film, in order for it to occur, there has to be a laps in logic. Plus it's not like people don't make stupid decisions/mistakes in real life anyway. I can let the officer not shooting down the escape pod go.
    'But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Alice remarked. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: ‘We’re all mad here. I’m mad, you’re mad.’ ‘How do you know I’m mad?’ said Alice. ‘You must be,’ said the Cat, ‘or you wouldn’t have come here.’ - Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

Quote Originally Posted by ThallJoben View Post
    I think it was ridiculous to have a female pilot in ROTJ, and then have her dubbed with a man's voice. I get that it may have been done for technical reasons (like a lot of dubbing in films), but it was still misleading. When first seeing the film years ago, I didn't think much of this - but then in later viewings, the "man" did look a little "off". Once I found out this was a female & that the voice was dubbed, it made more sense.
    There were two other female pilots in addition to Sila Kott whose parts were filmed and left on the cutting room floor. I wonder why the decision was made to scale back on female pilots in the final cut (and dub over the one they left in with a man's voice). Were they afraid of backlash from the fanbase in 1983 over feminizing Star Wars too much?
    Last edited by ZevSenesca; 08-15-2019 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZevSenesca View Post
    There were two other female pilots in addition to Sila Kott whose parts were filmed and left on the cutting room floor. I wonder why the decision was made to scale back on female pilots in the final cut (and dub over the one they left in with a man's voice). Were they afraid of backlash from the fanbase in 1983 over feminizing Star Wars too much?
    The political climate that exists today didn't exist back in 1983 (where people are searching desperately for new things to get offended by every day). So I doubt it was a fear of backlash. It could just have been a matter of the toy line, since Star Wars was a toy juggernaut by then and maybe Lucas didn't feel that boys would be as interested in buying the A-Wing and A-Wing Pilot toys if that pilot was a female. It wouldn't have been the only decision made in ROTJ where the storytelling took a back seat to toy sales. Or maybe they just felt that the female voiced pilot drew too much attention to herself at the expense of the story. Of course, people today are going to blame "mysoginy" or some other similar nonsense, but I think there is a much more logical explanation.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split. - Robert E. Howard

I did find some dailies of Vivienne Chandler running lines for her part as a rebel pilot in ROTJ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm8P7NgSz0M

well.. lots of pilots got cut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHnhxHMJcJ4
    "Without respect - we reject!"

My custom Hoth Rebel Turret thread

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    The political climate that exists today didn't exist back in 1983 (where people are searching desperately for new things to get offended by every day). So I doubt it was a fear of backlash. It could just have been a matter of the toy line, since Star Wars was a toy juggernaut by then and maybe Lucas didn't feel that boys would be as interested in buying the A-Wing and A-Wing Pilot toys if that pilot was a female. It wouldn't have been the only decision made in ROTJ where the storytelling took a back seat to toy sales. Or maybe they just felt that the female voiced pilot drew too much attention to herself at the expense of the story. Of course, people today are going to blame "mysoginy" or some other similar nonsense, but I think there is a much more logical explanation.
    Not to mention, if Lucas took a lot of his inspiration from actual air battles, in those days, it would have been extremely rare for there to be female combat pilots compared to today. It was still more accepted that mostly men fought in combat. This is also what made Leia stand out so much more as a character and strong female role model.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12