Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What films/shows/books do you break from typical conventional wisdom and love or hate?

I don't know if my things will match the topic directly, but it got me thinking and they are what I came up with.

I have never really been a 'go to the movies' as a form of entertainment kind of guy. Out of college, when my friends and I all moved back home, we'd get together on weekends. When you go out Friday night, Saturday can be a lull until going out Saturday night. Several guys were very much movie guys, others more of going along with it. But I used to hate it. If I was doing something I'd rather go shoot pool somewhere, or just hang out and play music and chill and catch up on things. I didn't see these guys as much as I used to. I didn't want to spend two hours together but not talking. I used to say I view a movie as two hours of wasted time.

For some time now, home viewing quality has surpassed the movie going experience, so that doesn't make it any more desirable. In general, I would only go to see a movie that I specifically wanted to see. I don't see going to a movie as a form of entertainment that I like to engage in, the experience itself. I do happen to watch movies, but I much prefer doing so at home, where I can maximize my time and the experience. So, I think I go against the grain with the movie going experience. I haven't run into many people who are as against it as I am.

With that as a mindset, most pop culture movies or just the most popular movies year in and year out, I've never seen. Again, I have very little curiosity for a movie that I know very little about, or seems not to match any of my interests. It had to be pretty good for me to cough up the two hours.

So when I did finally see the first three Indiana Jones movies, I was let down. I don't mean that I thought they were bad. I mean that by that time, they were such an icon in pop culture, almost as beloved as Star Wars, and I felt there wasn't anything special at all to them. That they might have been good movies, but I couldn't understand why they were so highly thought of. And my only thought is that they are very middle of the road, in terms of how spectacular the concepts and dialog and plot and effects were. They didn't have the wow factor of SW, or Terminator 2, that really took hold as something next level. That they hit that pocket of the casual movie goer who may not have been very into sci-fi or action movies or stunts, that don't seek the extreme in those areas.

The character Indiana Jones was bland to me. He by no means left an impression like Ford did as Han Solo, or Sean Connery or Roger Moore did as James Bond. In fact I saw the third movie first, and liked Connery the most as an actor, the character he portrayed/delivered.

So those movies leave me thinking they are way overrated and I don't understand why. Actually, the religious aspects of searching for the Grail, passing the tests, and the Knight protecting it, those moments touched something in me. I guess I like that one. Bumping into Hitler, getting his autograph. Throwing a guy out the zeppelin window, saying 'no ticket.' I find that whimsical, not knock me down funny. It is neutral and reserved with its elements, not over the top. My guess is that this appeals to a wide audience. But it doesn't develop tremendous fanhood in me, and like I said, I am surprised that it does in others. Nothing wrong with them, just don't think the fanhood hype matches them.

And this is a bit of a stray from the topic, and I don't mention it to drag it in as an attempt to overtake the topic. But I stayed with the EU when Disney cast it as Legends. I don't read the new comics or novels, haven't seen the movies. It has been long enough that I think the holiday season last fall or winter, I did see maybe ten minutes of one of them, enough to see Kylo Ren on screen, as well as Rey, maybe Han and Finn at some point. Not because I wanted to, but in flipping channels, there it was, so I stopped for a few minutes. I thought Kylo had the stupidest voice, it belonged in a droid. I should probably strike that part, as someone may defend it and I'm not here to start a war. I will say in general that none of the things I've heard mentioned, none of the conversations here, nothing has sounded the least bit interesting to me. None of it sounded better than the EU I was already heavily invested in, content wise.

I am probably one of the biggest SW fans who has absolutely nothing to do with its current position in pop culture. I follow OT/EU/PT Hasbro figures, but other than that, all of the SW doings in pop culture are going on without me. It is weird for someone to find out you are a huge fan but anti everything currently going on. So while seemingly everybody who posts on the site here is following current SW, I feel like I am wandering the halls looking for my class and I can't find it. Because there is very little current conversation that I can be a part of. However, I don't feel like I am missing out because I an not interested with what has been available. I would feel like I am missing out on what isn't being made that I would prefer, but I have a large enough collection of pre Disney SW and EU to keep me satisfied. So I am not disgruntled, I don't create old canon new canon arguments. But I think it is unusual and against the grain, that I am a big SW fan, but not its current incarnation, which happens to have exploded in pop culture.

I have seen the first Iron Man twice, and some of one of the Avengers movies when it was on regular TV last year (some battle in a city with like an undulating flying snake alien that they were fighting, and I think the scene where the Hulk slammed Loki all over like a rag doll). But I haven't seen any of the other movies, and have no real interest in doing so.

Much of these pop culture movie franchises have come about after my interests had peaked in them. I was interest in the Raimi Spidey trilogy, and the first three X-Men movies. Nothing really after, though recently I have caught up on some. Last night with Wolverine Origin, and a week ago Days of Future Past. I liked Days, and Origin was all right but didn't feel as good as the others. I did get to see Deadpool 2 and while some parts I didn't really care for, on a whole I liked that a lot. And this past week I saw the first Deadpool, and I'd say I liked that, but it was a bit of a letdown. There were certain elements that repeated in 2, and since I saw them in 2 first, they were more original there. In the first it felt like that joke again? Of course, someone watching them in order might have the same opinion the other way around.

So I have recently been catching up with the X-universe of movies, but don't really see myself doing so with the Avenger universe. Or with any Spidey universe, having no interest past the Raimi movies.

Though the topics in general don't interest me much any more, I am more inclined to reading a good story than wanting to see the movie, and that hasn't really changed in me. There's also something about how fantastic CGI has become, that the element of 'there are no limits to the action we can show' has pushed a lot of things out of the plausible realm of possibility with me. Smaller scale stunts seem more real, and it is more easy to suspend disbelief and think a superhero could pull that off. Or even a regular person.

And all of this might actually lead into the idea that I am a huge SW fan, but only specific elements (as I explained), and I am not really a pop culture nerd as many people seem to be today. I like SW, I used to like Marvel comics in the 80's and have some lingering interests, I like the original series of Star Trek, but I don't go for any and all sci-fi or pop culture fandom. Just like I am not a 'movie going' guy, that I like specific movies. I am also not a pop culture guy, I like certain elements that may have a place in pop culture. To me, nerd and geek are still negative terms, and I am not one. And I think a lot of people feel part of a bigger pop culture and embrace more elements of it, than I do. I like my subsections and have very little interest in other subsections. I could be wrong, but I think I am in a minority on that general outlook, and that seems to fit with the concept of this posted topic.
    Last edited by Sizzzler; 07-28-2019 at 03:56 PM.
    Republic Commando; greatest EU storyline ever. Its failure to complete is a genuine literary loss.
    Now the entire EU's failure to continue, to even matter, is a greater loss.
    My Feedback Thread In Here ---> http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1084715/

I might as well weigh in on this... beats working.

GoT was amazing from start to finish. I wonder if there was a difference between those that watched it week to week and those that binge watched after it had come out entirely because I felt season 8, while certainly more abruptly wrapped up than everyone would have liked, played out almost as expected. I did not understand the hatred.

I'm basically a sucker for all the pop culture stuff when it comes to TV or movies, but not a fan of Star Trek. LOVED Farscape!!! << Like too much love really. Loved all the Marvel MCU movies but Black Panther would not be high up my list... the CGI battle at the end is cringeworthy. LOTR was an amazing achievement. The Hobbit was a travesty. The movies were not the book 'The Hobbit'... they were based on the book, but just so far over the top. They weren't even as good as the Rankin/Bass cartoon. (Still haunted by Gollums screams "We hates it foreeeeever"

I'm surprised at the lack of Beatles love because I rarely share the sentiment that I too am not a big fan. They have a lot of songs and I can enjoy their lyrics and all, but would never listen to them willingly. My musical tastes are all over the map though. I listen to everything from Alison Krause to Rob Zombie so it just depends on the day and the mood I guess.

I would add one thing to this discussion and that is alcohol. I don't get it. I understand that people go out and have a few drinks socially. I understand that bars have things like live music, pool tables, etc. I understand that there is a whole culture around craft beers and as a hobby I can understand making or experiencing this... I am fond of new experiences. I just don't understand alcohol in general. I've never needed it to have a good time. I don't need it to enhance my personality. I don't find it fun hanging out with people that are even slightly impaired. Plus, it's expensive.
    Last edited by keknivek; 07-30-2019 at 10:42 AM.
    "The Marvel and Transformers team must share a lunch table.
    Star Wars must have sat with GI Joe team." ~ indysolo007

http://starwarslists.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzzler View Post
    I am probably one of the biggest SW fans who has absolutely nothing to do with its current position in pop culture. I follow OT/EU/PT Hasbro figures, but other than that, all of the SW doings in pop culture are going on without me. It is weird for someone to find out you are a huge fan but anti everything currently going on. So while seemingly everybody who posts on the site here is following current SW, I feel like I am wandering the halls looking for my class and I can't find it. Because there is very little current conversation that I can be a part of. However, I don't feel like I am missing out because I an not interested with what has been available. I would feel like I am missing out on what isn't being made that I would prefer, but I have a large enough collection of pre Disney SW and EU to keep me satisfied. So I am not disgruntled, I don't create old canon new canon arguments. But I think it is unusual and against the grain, that I am a big SW fan, but not its current incarnation, which happens to have exploded in pop culture.
    I can totally relate to this. However, I'm becoming more and more of an OT-purist the older I get. I'm willing to give an honorable mention to Rogue One (but it's just a glorified fan film, not a real Star Wars movie) and I do have some interest in the upcoming The Mandalorian streaming show. However, I will never place any Star Wars movie, TV show, comic book, or novel on the same level as the Original Trilogy.

Also, I tend to see Star Wars as a toy property first and a film series second. Obviously the films came first, but it's almost impossible to deny that toy sales were being factored into the films' designs and plots since ROTJ (maybe even going all the way back to ESB, since the entire Hoth Battle seemed specifically designed to sell toys). This is why I can still collect toys from a Star Wars movie I don't like. For example, I saw Solo twice and wasn't impressed with it either time, but I still like the design of the Mimban Stormtrooper enough that I have purchased every version of that trooper released so far.

Quote Originally Posted by keknivek View Post
    I would add one thing to this discussion and that is alcohol. I don't get it. I understand that people go out and have a few drinks socially. I understand that bars have things like live music, pool tables, etc. I understand that there is a whole culture around craft beers and as a hobby I can understand making or experiencing this... I am fond of new experiences. I just don't understand alcohol in general. I've never needed it to have a good time. I don't need it to enhance my personality. I don't find it fun hanging out with people that are even slightly impaired. Plus, it's expensive.
    I've never been much of a drinker either. There have been times in the past where I would drink a lot (mostly when I was in the Army), but it always felt so empty and I have never been able to understand why people think they need alcohol to "have a good time". Alcohol is a depressant, so drinking it is actually counter productive if having a good time is your goal. Plus, I'm a sleepy drunk. So drinking too much acts like a sleeping pill for me.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split. - Robert E. Howard

I quit a book and a half into the ASOIAF series. I've never felt more bored and disinterested while reading a book, and I choked down almost all of Atlas Shrugged. I loved the show, for the most part but the books I tried to force myself to read were just a painful slog.

Also, if I hear that a video game requires me to play online, it's basically a guarantee I'll NEVER play it. And if a single player game has NO cheat codes? Also probably won't play it.
    Last edited by DagMarus; 07-30-2019 at 04:33 PM.
    Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzzler View Post
    And this is a bit of a stray from the topic, and I don't mention it to drag it in as an attempt to overtake the topic. But I stayed with the EU when Disney cast it as Legends. I don't read the new comics or novels, haven't seen the movies. It has been long enough that I think the holiday season last fall or winter, I did see maybe ten minutes of one of them, enough to see Kylo Ren on screen, as well as Rey, maybe Han and Finn at some point. Not because I wanted to, but in flipping channels, there it was, so I stopped for a few minutes. I thought Kylo had the stupidest voice, it belonged in a droid. I should probably strike that part, as someone may defend it and I'm not here to start a war. I will say in general that none of the things I've heard mentioned, none of the conversations here, nothing has sounded the least bit interesting to me. None of it sounded better than the EU I was already heavily invested in, content wise.

I apologize for cutting your response, but I wanted to focus on the EU part that you and I have discussed in the past. I do not think you are in the minority with your interest in pre-Disney Star Wars and EU. I've actually talked to several people that feel exactly the same way, but I think many that read the EU just don't spend their time on message boards talking about it for whatever reason.

I can still pull parts out of the ST that I enjoy. I just can't really watch all of it and honestly haven't read anything that has been written in the new Disney 'canon'. Rogue One is a great prequel to Star Wars and I felt Solo was just fun if you can get past the fact that Han is probably the least interesting part of the story.

I've made my peace with the EU and am still reading stuff from that era when I get a moment. Currently the Lando Trilogy... it's not great, but it's familiar and I tend to see both Billy Dee and Donald Glover when I'm reading.

The recent commitment to ROTJ with the barge, playset and figures has been nice and I just hope they can continue that sort of love for the OT somehow. There is scant little left that I need in terms of figures but I'll always buy new characters from the OT or quality upgrades like the new Yakface.
    "The Marvel and Transformers team must share a lunch table.
    Star Wars must have sat with GI Joe team." ~ indysolo007

http://starwarslists.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by keknivek View Post
    I do not think you are in the minority with your interest in pre-Disney Star Wars and EU. I've actually talked to several people that feel exactly the same way, but I think many that read the EU just don't spend their time on message boards talking about it for whatever reason.
    I came to RS late in terms of the existence of the EU. A lot had already been out and discussed before I had joined. But for a few years, I really enjoyed discussing things. Even things that had been out already, new readers were asking about suggestions, so things were current again. As soon as the word was out about the change, all those conversations dried up. I missed such discussions, but it is what it is. I don't quite understand, if you like something, why not talk about it, even once in a while? I guess more people live in the present, or at least, present incarnations of past properties, than actually reliving those past properties. It's a mindset that is very foreign to me. I can always relive old memories, as well as discover new interests, when re-reading older books or re-watching older movies.

I am another who doesn't think the Beatles are the greatest thing ever. The same with Jimmie Hendrix. I think these two, what they did may have been significant in the time that they were doing it, but for me, I didn't hear them with that perspective. I couldn't experience the divergence from the norm, that their creativity possessed. It's been a number of years, but I did buy a Beatles #1 hits CD when it came out. But I don't think I've played it more than three times, and I think that is a couple decades old. I'm just not interested in their pop like peppiness. I can say this or that song sounds nice, but I have no desire to hear it. I think a few Hendrix songs are good, not great. To my ear, what movie was it, White Men Can't Jump? Wesley Snipes telling Woody Harrelson he can't hear Jimmie? I guess I can't hear Jimmie. I think his trademark is screechy and just electronic noise. Some creative expressions of it in a few songs, but in general, not pleasing to the ear at all.

Now I love Frank Zappa, and you could say his guitar soloing also has a freestyling distortion element to it. But I can absolutely listen to Zappa do it all day, but with Hendrix, it is annoying. With Hendrix it seems like distortion for the sake of doing it, but with Zappa, he's still composing and going somewhere with it. Not only is there a flow to it, but it is pleasing to hear.
    Republic Commando; greatest EU storyline ever. Its failure to complete is a genuine literary loss.
    Now the entire EU's failure to continue, to even matter, is a greater loss.
    My Feedback Thread In Here ---> http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1084715/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234