Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What films/shows/books do you break from typical conventional wisdom and love or hate?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I think Ragnarok Hulk was almost perfect and easily the best onscreen realization of the character, so far. Maybe just a little bit smarter and he'd be on the same intelligence level as the Silver Age Hulk. Grey Hulk only lasted for one issue in the 60s. However, a Hulk who could speak, read, formulate plans, maintain a secret identity (while still in Hulk form), outsmart alien invaders, and had full grasp of personal pronouns, lasted for much longer during that era.

I'm fully aware of the situation with Universal. However, it's weird that Disney doesn't seem to have a problem sharing profits with Sony for the Tom Holland Spider-Man movies. So, why would the Hulk be different? Unless they think that he isn't capable of carrying his own movie.

Another movie opinion of mine that strays from the norm: I actually liked Independence Day: Resurgence (for the most part) and was excited to see the direction the story was going at the end of the film. It's just too bad that series is likely dead in the water right now.
    Disney had ZERO access to Spider-man without the Sony deal. No Sony deal, no Spider-man in the MCU. That's much different than the Hulk/Universal situation. They have to share profits to use Spider-man at all. They can use Hulk as much as they want in other movies, so why would they share profits when they don't really have to? Also, the Spider-man films are produced by Sony. Disney would wind up financing a Hulk movie on their own and THEN sharing the profits with Universal due to the distribution deal.

The situations are actually quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by lister View Post
    Disney had ZERO access to Spider-man without the Sony deal. No Sony deal, no Spider-man in the MCU. That's much different than the Hulk/Universal situation. They have to share profits to use Spider-man at all. They can use Hulk as much as they want in other movies, so why would they share profits when they don't really have to? Also, the Spider-man films are produced by Sony. Disney would wind up financing a Hulk movie on their own and THEN sharing the profits with Universal due to the distribution deal.

The situations are actually quite different.
    You make a good point. Obviously the details of the license with each movie studio are going to be different. I do know that Sony was required to make a Spider-Man movie every few years or they would forfeit the license (which is why Spider-man will continue to get rebooted over and over again, long after they have moved on from Tom Holland's version of the character). Clearly that wasn't a requirement for Universal to retain ownership of Hulk, since they would have lost the rights by now.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split. - Robert E. Howard

I will say, I ALWAYS wondered what happened with Sterns in the first MCU Hulk movie. He very clearly is transformed into The Leader, perhaps Hulks main villain (at least one of), but he's just entirely brushed off and been forgotten. If they did do another solo Hulk flick, I'd say answer that question. I mean after all these years, they finally established what happened to Red Skull and are introducing the REAL Mandarin. So I do think it IS possible.
    Last edited by MysterioMaximus; 07-22-2019 at 09:04 PM.
    'But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Alice remarked. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: ‘We’re all mad here. I’m mad, you’re mad.’ ‘How do you know I’m mad?’ said Alice. ‘You must be,’ said the Cat, ‘or you wouldn’t have come here.’ - Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

Quote Originally Posted by MysterioMaximus View Post
    I will say, I ALWAYS wondered what happened with Sterns in the first MCU Hulk movie. He very clearly is transformed into The Leader, perhaps Hulks main villain (at least one of), but he's just entirely brushed off and been forgotten. If they did do another solo Hulk flick, I'd say answer that question. I mean after all these years, they finally established what happened to Red Skull and are introducing the REAL Mandarin. So I do think it IS possible.
    I actually liked The Incredible Hulk for the most part. If they were to replace that terrible Hulk CGI with the Ragnarok Hulk CG-model, then I think it would greatly improve the film. The only thing I really hated about that film was Tim Roth's character. For someone who was supposed to be an elite Special Forces soldier, the guy walked around without the slightest hint of military bearing and seeing him unshaven wearing the formal, Class-A uniform was the visual equivalent of fingernails on a chalkboard for me. But I could overlook all that for a remastered film with some upgraded CGI.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split. - Robert E. Howard

I actually liked The Incredible Hulk for the most part. If they were to replace that terrible Hulk CGI with the Ragnarok Hulk CG-model, then I think it would greatly improve the film. The only thing I really hated about that film was Tim Roth's character. For someone who was supposed to be an elite Special Forces soldier, the guy walked around without the slightest hint of military bearing and seeing him unshaven wearing the formal, Class-A uniform was the visual equivalent of fingernails on a chalkboard for me. But I could overlook all that for a remastered film with some upgraded CGI.
    Aren't U.S. special ops soldiers allowed to wear their hair longer, have beards, etc. so they blend in more and don't immediately stand out as being military. Also, Blonksy's actually a Russian-born British military officer who's been loaned out to Ross, so who's to say what rules he has to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by lister View Post
    Aren't U.S. special ops soldiers allowed to wear their hair longer, have beards, etc. so they blend in more and don't immediately stand out as being military. Also, Blonksy's actually a Russian-born British military officer who's been loaned out to Ross, so who's to say what rules he has to follow.
    They are allowed to wear their hair longer and have beards while they are in the field, not while they are in garrison wearing the Class A uniform. The US Army Class A uniform, to be specific. Not a Russian or British uniform. You can't just wear a military uniform, along with all the decorations and medals, from another country if you don't belong to that country's military. Also, just his overall posture and the way he walked showed no signs of military bearing.

Here's another one: I've never understood the appeal of The Beastie Boys. I've listened to their music and I just don't get it.

Here's another one: I've never understood the appeal of The Beastie Boys. I've listened to their music and I just don't get it.
    I never cared for them either, but with music...it's SO subjective. People swear by genres like country, rap, and opera...whereas I'd rather gouge my eardrums out with a fork.
    'But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Alice remarked. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: ‘We’re all mad here. I’m mad, you’re mad.’ ‘How do you know I’m mad?’ said Alice. ‘You must be,’ said the Cat, ‘or you wouldn’t have come here.’ - Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

Beastie Boys are one of those things you either get or you dont. Being a NYer, and having a complete view of their career they are a fascinating group. They started out as a punk rock band.Then dove into a rap community that readily accepted them.They stole samples for their second album resulting an the most lawsuits ever generated by one album, lawsuits that continue to this day. They re emerged in the early 90s fusing their punk rock and rap personas in a time when many genres of music were readily accepted. It's easy to dismiss them if you only look at one portion of their career. Some of the stuff they did was groundbreaking and provoked a lot of tjought. They brought a lot of awareness to the crisis in Tibet, and were even more socially consious in their own communities.they started out as a degenerate group all about booze,drugs, and mischief...but ultimately left the world a better place than they found it. Like i said if you were into them enough to hear what was between the lines you got the most out of them. If you were a casual observer, they are easy to dismiss.They were a huge part of NY music culture.
    Last edited by Lobotscomb; 07-28-2019 at 09:22 AM.

I enjoyed it for what it is, but I will say I never really felt an urge to re-see it. It was made in that sort of prototype era of Marvel films, basically just throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks. While it's not a BAD film, by any means, I will say it's a particularly forgettable film IMO. It's just...average. It's a nice two-hour distraction, but nothing more. It feels like Marvel is slightly embarrassed by it, maybe just because of the loss of Norton. But they really just abandoned a lot. Betty is nowhere to be found in the MCU again, Sterns very clearly transforming into the Leader (setting up a sequel) is totally never used again, I'm just glad they did re-introduce General Ross.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast