Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Played Who?

Who Played Who?

This thread is about matching actors/extras/stand-ins, etc. with their onscreen characters. To get the ball rolling; I'm trying to figure out who played Brock Starsher/Jabba's Skiff Guard in Return of the Jedi. Wookieepedia states it was an "uncredited extra". While no doubt accurate; not helpful at all. No mention at all on iMDB. I asked around in the Facebook group Royal Guard Autograph Service; but it seems to be a mystery there as well. I'd just like to know who was under that helmet; so I'm calling all sleuths to help figure this out!
    "Evacuate? In our moment of triumpth? I think you overestimate their chances!"

I honestly wouldn't even know how to find out who played him. Plus it's kind of funny how his name is Brock Starsher now, was this JUST created? Because even the original release of the action figure was simply just called something like Jabba's Skiff Guard. That's kind of an interesting piece of SW lore, how background characters have been given names and even backstories. Like Walrus Man and how he transitioned into being called Ponda Baba or Hammerhead and how that evolved into Momaw Nadon. I'm fairly sure a lot of this first started due to toys and the trading card game.
    'But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Alice remarked. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: ‘We’re all mad here. I’m mad, you’re mad.’ ‘How do you know I’m mad?’ said Alice. ‘You must be,’ said the Cat, ‘or you wouldn’t have come here.’ - Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

Quote Originally Posted by MysterioMaximus View Post
    I honestly wouldn't even know how to find out who played him. Plus it's kind of funny how his name is Brock Starsher now, was this JUST created? Because even the original release of the action figure was simply just called something like Jabba's Skiff Guard. That's kind of an interesting piece of SW lore, how background characters have been given names and even backstories. Like Walrus Man and how he transitioned into being called Ponda Baba or Hammerhead and how that evolved into Momaw Nadon. I'm fairly sure a lot of this first started due to toys and the trading card game.
    I think he was given this name in 2013. So pretty recently in the grand scheme. Hasbro put out a figure in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by ZevSenesca View Post
    I think he was given this name in 2013. So pretty recently in the grand scheme. Hasbro put out a figure in 2014.
    I'm not 100% sure really, but I will say the character design is kind of fun...albeit a bit lazy and generic. He's basically just a dude in a jump suit with a funky helmet design. You can totally tell the costume designer just went, "Hey, add some funky tube or something to this plastic kids costume knight helmet and BINGO....funky space man. TUBES ARE SPACIE!"
    'But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Alice remarked. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: ‘We’re all mad here. I’m mad, you’re mad.’ ‘How do you know I’m mad?’ said Alice. ‘You must be,’ said the Cat, ‘or you wouldn’t have come here.’ - Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

IIRC, the Weequay "Hunter" skiff guard didn't get a name until after the Disney purchase and thus after the TVC figure's release. That character is now known as Pagetti Rook. Is there any other backgrounder from Ep 1-6 that was named after Disney bought the franchise?
    UPDATED! Check out my handy worksheet, listing every 1/18th release from 1978 till now
    Easily filtered on source, line, type, product, character name, species and category. Updated till 10-7-2018
    http://www.filedropper.com/rushiesrebelscumfile

I'm not 100% sure really, but I will say the character design is kind of fun...albeit a bit lazy and generic. He's basically just a dude in a jump suit with a funky helmet design. You can totally tell the costume designer just went, "Hey, add some funky tube or something to this plastic kids costume knight helmet and BINGO....funky space man. TUBES ARE SPACIE!"
    If you look closely his mask is a scout trooper kneepad.

Quote Originally Posted by ZevSenesca View Post
    If you look closely his mask is a scout trooper kneepad.
    I'm not actually sure what it really is, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's something re-purposed. Star Wars did that quite a bit. Some interesting cases would be how Dengar is using a lot of Snowtrooper armor just repainted, how nearly all Rodians dress like Greedo in the OT...I assume just because they didn't want to spend the money on different outfits for them, or how even Bossk and Bo'Shek are basically just different colored X-Wing pilot costumes with a few modifications which (I want to say I heard) were even in and of themselves re-purposed from Dr. Who. Now I don't know this 100%, but I always strongly suspected that parts (especially the head) of IG-88 are liqueur dispensers in the cantina because they LOOK identical. I mean, really, even 4-LOM is just a re-used protocol droid body with a new head. When you really look at it, the OT had a LOT of kitbashed and re-used costumes.

I'm not actually sure what it really is, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's something re-purposed.
    I ain't just whistlin' dixie. Compare this to the forehead of the mask portion on him.

Last edited by ZevSenesca; 07-01-2019 at 08:56 PM.

I did read online somewhere recently that the faceplate of the helmet is indeed a Biker Scout knee guard; which makes the whole thing a little more creative and interesting. I for one likely wouldn't have thought "hey, this kneepad would make a pretty cool mask!". The helmet is primarily why I like the character so much. I think the pitch black color really pops in those bright exterior shots (not that you really see it that much or very closely), plus (I think) he is the only Skiff Guard whose entire face and head is completely covered; giving him a pinch of mystery; which further fuels why I so desperately want to know who played him. Is the guy still alive? Did he play anything else? I really want to know!
    "Evacuate? In our moment of triumpth? I think you overestimate their chances!"

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrooper1138 View Post
    I did read online somewhere recently that the faceplate of the helmet is indeed a Biker Scout knee guard; which makes the whole thing a little more creative and interesting. I for one likely wouldn't have thought "hey, this kneepad would make a pretty cool mask!". The helmet is primarily why I like the character so much. I think the pitch black color really pops in those bright exterior shots (not that you really see it that much or very closely), plus (I think) he is the only Skiff Guard whose entire face and head is completely covered; giving him a pinch of mystery; which further fuels why I so desperately want to know who played him. Is the guy still alive? Did he play anything else? I really want to know!
    Yeah, I think the repurposed part is a cool detail.

As far as his identity, we might want to track down call sheets for Return of the Jedi. Sometimes I'm surprised by who is listed on those. Although obviously he wouldn't be listed as "Brock Starsher." It could still be difficult to figure out who played who if they are all listed as "Skiff guard."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast