Thread: Which is better AFA or UKG ?? to boost item value

Which is better AFA or UKG ?? to boost item value

Dear members

I am considering getting graded my items.

I have a good friend in UK and he organizes everything including submission which is very helpful because I am in JP.

But in terms of item price, AFA graded items are much higher in the market even in the same grade such as AFA85, UKG85.

where does this difference come from ??

and which do you think better to use in order to boost up values.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderCracker View Post
    AFA in my opinion.
    Thanks.

but why ??

Quote Originally Posted by littlecaser View Post
    Thanks.

but why ??
    I think itís a more trusted grading company especially in the US. CAS would be second. However, itís probably different on the other side of the pond.

When you are dealing with vintage Kenner products, AFA is seen as a more recognizable brand. And because of that sellers tend to treat their graded stuff as high-end Disney park merchandise.

But in reality, the successful ones know their target consumers. And they can probably get the same price regardless if it is an AFA 85 or a UKG 85%. So my advice is lean towards your friends help if it saves you both time and money. Because as every expert has said on this subject, "You'll lose money if you think using a grading company can make your $10 raw into a $100 graded. So know your buyers wants first."

I hope that helps to any degree.
    Officially retired from anything tied to Star Wars toys since August, 2019.
    Nobody will believe my reasons. Because history says so.
    Officially returned to 2006-2018 TakaraTomy Transformers since September, 2019.
    No real difference. Just nobody telling me to do what I was already doing it.

UPDATE: Contact Star Case if you ever feel that you need help selling your graded figures. They might be able to help.

Here is their link: http://starcase.jp/

You will gain more with AFA. Collectors have more AFA graded items than UKG and no one really wants to mix and match grading labels.

Dont try any other grading companies, CAS has serious credibility issues that the community is worried about, plus CAS is not recognized as a leader in the grading world.
    Last edited by Hoth_My_Fav; 08-29-2019 at 03:19 PM.

And here we go... Again. Note to the moderators: I am not making an effort to vilify him when it comes to the links. But seriously, people are tired of him doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoth_My_Fav View Post
    You will gain more with AFA. Collectors have more AFA graded items than UKG and no one really wants to mix and match grading labels.
    What you said deserves two citations:

1) Action Figure Grader constantly talks about having figures sent in to both AFA and CAS in his videos. And at no point does he say that he uses one for his personal collection and the other for selling purposes. So yes, only purists who have preferences stick with one grading brand. All others do not care as long as their collectibles are encased in acrylic, both graded and non-graded. So that claim is false.

2) Collecting communities will cite that online sellers use AFA's reputation as an excuse to over-inflate prices. Plus AFA has damaged their reputation at one point by acting like that is a good thing. Which is one of the reasons why others will buy UKG and CAS if it is cheaper. Or even cases where they want to avoid some non-authentic toys that were graded by AFA.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoth_My_Fav View Post
    Dont try any other grading companies, CAS has serious credibility issues that the community is worried about, plus CAS is not recognized as a leader in the grading world.
    No offense but I have read up on you when it comes to "reputations". But this is not about you. This is about the three citations you have omitted despite the fact it has harmed their reputations as a credible grading company:

1) The vintage Star Wars collecting committee has members reporting that AFA has graded Toy Tony re-seals as originals.

2) The vintage Transformers collecting committee has members reporting that AFA has mis-graded Chinese reissues as originals.

3) The same members from that committee have also reported that AFA did grade Zhin Jong produced KOs as originals.

Atop of that AFA lacks transparency in who works there, while their competition is willing to resolve any issues their members have done in the past. Which is something I am willing to look past as long as their Archival service is cheaper than what CAS can offer me. But your claims are based on outdated propaganda, false promises, and incorrect data. And that is more harm to AFA's reputation than good.

So for the sake of all of us... Stop. Just stop. Thank you.

And when it comes to AFA vs. UKG, I will repeat what I said: What will help you make an honest profit is to go with the one that offers you a better discount. Because while AFA is better known thanks to them being the first, having a friend that can help you save money by using UKG is another factor to consider. Especially if the target buyers are limited to the Japanese market.

Second thought... To any mods out there:​ Can we have this topic locked before it becomes another "CAS is bad, mmkay?" topic? One was enough. Thanks.