Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I think the "Vintage" term is dated and we need a new one....

Quote Originally Posted by Lobotscomb View Post
    Obviously you have no manners to jump in and call something dumb because you don't agree with it. Vintage in antiquing termonology is an item 25 years old. Antique refers to something 100 years or older. Yes there is a specific term. And if you are out there shopping for stuff believe me the word vintage is thrown around loosely, and establishing a term that would fit in between vintage and antique would be beneficial. Good day sir......I said good day.
    OK, take those definitions that you posted and throw them in the nearest trash can. AS FAR AS THE SW HOBBY IS CONCERNED, Vintage corresponds to figures made between '77 and '86 (generally). Some include up to '94 since not much was made between then. '95 was the introduction of the Modern line. And considering that line has never stopped production, everything since '95 to now is MODERN. There are many sub-classifications for modern, POTF2, POTJ, TVC, SAGA, TBS, etc. but they all fall under the modern nomenclature.

You can try renaming Vintage SW, but I am fairly certain it won't happen. The terminology is too ingrained in the collectors of the hobby to change. People have suggested it before and have failed before. Do not take it personally. It's just the way the hobby is.

Mike
    Last edited by Michael_Ritter; 06-14-2019 at 09:25 PM.
    "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!"
    Looking for SWS.com's Vader's Trap print #14
    Looking for R2 Prototypes MOC's & Cobot too! Also Droids R2 Original Art

I collect a lot of different toy lines and vintage is typically the standard term for the original run. Masters of the Universe, Thundercats, Macross, Transformers, etc. are lines where the original lines goes by "vintage" and new lines go by their new name. Only exception being Transformers which is sometimes called Generation 1 (G1). But even that is starting to shift toward the word vintage or vintage G1. 80's GI*JOE typically goes by vintage ARAH (A Real American Hero) to distinguish it from the vintage 1960's dolls (I mean action figures). So I don't see the term disappearing from Star Wars collector terminology.

Just because Lobot doesn't have hair on top of his head, doesn't automatically mean that he also doesn't have hair somewhere else on his body. Think about it. Combs are therapeutic

I was thinking of changing my user name to : Vader's_Make-up , Chewie's_Clippers , Kenobi's_Rogaine, or Han's_fingers
    Last edited by Adam_L; 06-15-2019 at 03:42 AM. Reason: add info
    "It is better to light a small candle then to curse the darkness" ~Confucius
    WTB:any ESB Rebel Soldier Proof card
    Refining my broken English to proper English, *cuz John A. said so

I understand your suggestion for a name change, but I also think it is pretty much a personal observation you are having, not a necessary change the collector community feels must happen. Anyone collecting Star Wars toys understands all definitions for each toy period and it has been that way for years. There's this current trend going around that just because something reaches a certain amount of years it's definition should be changed. What's wrong with keeping things a bit traditional, even more if a term or names are easily identifiable by most people? I think those posting Ebay auctions with Jar Jar figures are the ones who need to get a bit more educated on the terminology of the hobby and correct their writing. Yes, it is true finding 1990's action figures posted as Vintage items is bothersome to some degree, but it is also true we need to do our work and look a little harder for what we want. I think as a society, we are getting way too used to instant gratification and looking to make the least possible effort to obtain anything. Sometimes the struggle to obtain something we want is part of the rewarding experience of getting to it. To me it shows to each of us how defined our ability is and how strong our desire to locate it despite the obstacles. In a way it measures our self commitment and endurance. JMHO
    Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 06-15-2019 at 06:15 AM.
    Sith Apprentice
    My Trading Feedback

Obviously you have no manners to jump in and call something dumb because you don't agree with it. Vintage in antiquing termonology is an item 25 years old. Antique refers to something 100 years or older. Yes there is a specific term. And if you are out there shopping for stuff believe me the word vintage is thrown around loosely, and establishing a term that would fit in between vintage and antique would be beneficial. Good day sir......I said good day.
    I like to imagine this being said in Peter Griffinís voice. That way itís both funny and dumb.
    Always look on the bright side of life...

WTB: Vintage Collection Hoth AT AT. Either the box on its own or the box with vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenner76 View Post
    Sorry to disappoint you, but Iím pretty sure the term ďvintage Star WarsĒ isnít going anywhere anytime soon. It would just get confusing if some people keep using it while others choose a new term. If it isnít broke, then donít try to fix it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    Iím just here to mention how dumb this recommendation is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I don't think anyone is getting confused. And chaos? Far from it.

Anyway, vintage means "dating from the past" and there is no set period when something becomes vintage in the generic sense.
    All these guys get it. A group of about 50 people (extremely generous) who occasionally post on the Rebel Scum Vintage toy thread are not going to change a term that is used by hundreds of thousands and perhaps millions of star wars enthusiasts worldwide.

Now that POTF2 is almost 25 years ago, the term "Vintage" applies to them. it causes a lot of chaos and confusion. You can't even say "Kenner" star wars because POTF2 items have Kenner all over them. By rule of thumb 100 years make them truly antiques, but at nearly 50 years old they fall into limbo. If you shop online for 70's Star wars stuff you know how frustrating the term has become. Maybe we should start calling them "Classic era" or something of the like? I'm sure if we adopt a term it would catch on. I can't stand looking at 200 auctions on ebay for "Vintage" Jar-Jars!
    The easiest way to work around your problem is to hit the "advanced" search option next to your Ebay search bar it allows you to exclude words like potf2, Jar Jar or comlink from your searches. You can make up a new name and it could catch on with some collectors but in the end it will only lead to more frustration as most of the sellers are not those collectors.

Considering so much source material refers to the 77-88 material as "vintage" and that the current TVC cardbacks are reminiscent of the original cardback style (hence the name), that is pretty much where the distinction ends. PotF2 and later, while older, are not considered vintage when compared to the items that essentially own that classification. To your random toy dealer they may consider a 24-year old toy as vintage but outside of those circles I'd point back to the first sentence. While aged, technically PotF2 started the "modern" SW age (you could even be more generous and go back to the early 90s SW merch as falling into that bucket too).

If there would be any other categorization of SW merchandise then you'd need to adopt something similar to the comic industry I'd think - golden age being the 70s and 80s merch, silver being 90s and 00s, and bronze being 10s and 20s. That said though, with TVC, VOTC, and TVSC all being throwbacks to the true vintage era, it is a very hard term to escape through any other eyes.
    "Life as a Slayer is very simple - want, take, have."
    Wants: To retire earlier than 70, another couple pairs of Loubis, and no days below 77 degrees in the summer

Quote Originally Posted by faith4ever View Post
    Considering so much source material refers to the 77-88 material as "vintage" and that the current TVC cardbacks are reminiscent of the original cardback style (hence the name), that is pretty much where the distinction ends. PotF2 and later, while older, are not considered vintage when compared to the items that essentially own that classification. To your random toy dealer they may consider a 24-year old toy as vintage but outside of those circles I'd point back to the first sentence. While aged, technically PotF2 started the "modern" SW age (you could even be more generous and go back to the early 90s SW merch as falling into that bucket too).

If there would be any other categorization of SW merchandise then you'd need to adopt something similar to the comic industry I'd think - golden age being the 70s and 80s merch, silver being 90s and 00s, and bronze being 10s and 20s. That said though, with TVC, VOTC, and TVSC all being throwbacks to the true vintage era, it is a very hard term to escape through any other eyes.
    When I first read this thread, I was thinking about the comics parallel as well. I'm sure others will know better as to how the "Golden Age" was tagged - I always thought of it as something that was named as a 'B.C.' term - a 'before it is now' type of thing, so I looked it up and Wikipedia gives the origin story on the Silver Age of Comics page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Age_of_Comic_Books

To me, bottom line is that you can't retag the past 'ages' - only the subsequent ones...so while POTF2 marks the beginning of the modern line, what about neo-vintage, or something similar to separate out the misnomer.

Of course..if you just wanted to talk about terrible search results from 'Vintage Star Wars', you have to come up with something (like Advanced Search) to weed out 'The Vintage Collection'...
    Member of the 62 POTF coin club!!
    My Trade Feedback has links to want and have trade lists.

This is an interesting thread because not too long ago on Etsy I sent a seller a note who was titling his older modern line vintage. I asked him if he was purposely trying to mislead people. He responded back that if its 25 years old (as a previous poster had mentioned) its vintage. I told him politely as others have mentioned that vintage star wars in no uncertain terms refers to original line. He did not respond

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast