Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prototype, Hardcopy, First Shot, and Protomolds for Vehicles and Playsets

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    It's a tue piece of art, i wonder if all the tiny details are made of wood or if it is mixed with model kit parts or resin casts.

http://theswca.com/lexicon/pattern.html

They look like small wooden pieces, but they are evidently made of bondo

http://theswca.com/images-kennerart.html

Here, if you scroll down and look through the "Toy Patterns" section you can see a wide range of vehicle and playset pieces that were wood sculpted. What's very interesting is that most of the "from the collection of" status is listed as anonymous. Not that I blame them since a lot of collectors with that high of a prize piece wish to not be known. Or it could be someone that everyone knows who publicizes a great many pieces of their collection, but wishes to keep certain items anonymous. Either way, would love to know more about the woodworking shop or shops that were pumping these patterns out.

I own a vintage SKIFF prototype. It's missing one of the side rails and the front stand. One feature that makes it unique and differentiates itself from the common version is that the square floor panels are actually smooth vs. rough/textured. Not 100% sure which step in the prototype process this piece was but it was most likely one of the last steps as pretty much everything else matches the standard version. Kept the paperwork from when I purchased.

Always thought is was a neat piece.. especially since the SKIFF didn't have as large a production run as most of the vintage line to begin with.

Last edited by bobafett14; 06-11-2019 at 03:29 PM.
    Western PA contact www.pswcs.com
    You are a meat head, dead from the neck up....a meathad.-Archie Bunker

Quote Originally Posted by bobafett14 View Post
    I own a vintage SKIFF prototype. It's missing one of the side rails and the front stand. One feature that makes it unique and differentiates itself from the common version is that the square floor panels are actually smooth vs. rough/textured. Not 100% sure which step in the prototype process this piece was but it was most likely one of the last steps as pretty much everything else matches the standard version. Kept the paperwork from when I purchased.

Always thought is was a neat piece.. especially since the SKIFF didn't have as large a production run as most of the vintage line to begin with.

Wow, what an impressive piece. It seems like after the bulk of the details were finished some fine tuning details were done. Similar to the way the Sandcrawler, in it's later production phases, had fine lines added throughout the body. I would imagine that some of the production techniques shifted slightly within Kenner to accommodate mass production as the went from ANH to POTF lines. I wonder if your floor section was more of a first shot or hard copy that was used for a "fitting" session to make sure all the pieces were lining up?

Thank you. Purchased way back.. I am not 100% sure of the specific production stage with this piece, therefore I can't really confirm a first shot, etc.
    Western PA contact www.pswcs.com
    You are a meat head, dead from the neck up....a meathad.-Archie Bunker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12