Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Retro Collection Death Star Board Game

  1. #1

    Retro Collection Death Star Board Game

    Since the Retro Collection hasn't been given a designated spot this is probably as good as it gets for now to discuss this. Not talking about the Tarkin figure, but rather opening up the conversation on the game itself. I've not yet played the new one. I've opened it to get to Tarkin, but honestly haven't even unfolded the board game or looked at the other pieces. Is it identical in every way to the original? Board layout, game pieces, instructions, etc.? Also who has played the game and what are your overall thoughts? Does it feel like an old game or if you've never played the original does it feel new?

  2. #2
    I played mine with my kids. It's been over 30 years since I played the original so I can be wrong, but it feels the same. I didn't have the original but my friends did and I played it a few times as a kid.
    F.S.C.M.E. Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

  3. #3
    I tried playing it last night with my 3 year old who loves star wars. After about 10 mins she says, "I'm over it". hahahaha. I think I'm going to have to set it up and play on my own with a few beers. It does seem like a fun game.

  4. #4
    I had it as a kid. It’s alright, but not the best. I always preferred the ROTJ Scarlacc battle game.
    Wanted: Jawa sample proofs,a textured cape Leia, and any Boushh proofs. I'm also currently looking for a 21 ESB back Leia Organa proof. I have cash and many great trade items!
    My Feedback:http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1070625/

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenner76 View Post
    I had it as a kid. It’s alright, but not the best. I always preferred the ROTJ Scarlacc battle game.
    That Sarlacc game was a blast. It was a proper game and fun to just act out the battle as if miniatures/toys.

    I remember playing the Star Wars game on a few occasions (friend's house and owned a beat up garage sale one) but remember next-to-nothing about it!

  6. #6
    Just bought the game to get the figure, it's not like he's going any cheaper online even as a single loose figure. It's funny how Hasbro repurposed this junky cardboard game to simply rake in the profits of the Tarkin figure. Everything on this set is cheap cheap cheap. It's all paper and cardboard. The game itself probably cost Hasbro pennies to make and then they slap one of the most wanted figures from the Vintage line and sit back and collect. It's almost a waste of cardboard and paper. I like the box art better than the game itself lol
    "you've taken your first step into a larger world"

  7. #7
    I had the game back in the day and actually played it quite a bit. I don't have my original any more, but the new one seems to pretty much be exactly the same as the original...which was also "all paper and cardboard". I haven't actually assembled and played it yet, but it seem very faithful to the original with the exception of the gaping hole left in the lid of the box when you remove Tarkin.
    Feedback thread
    Don't need a somewhat newer jocular since the older legacy collection hypnosis arena two pack jocular is still great and thing is that do all attack of the Clones Jedi figures really need jedi robes?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by SaberSonic83 View Post
    Just bought the game to get the figure, it's not like he's going any cheaper online even as a single loose figure. It's funny how Hasbro repurposed this junky cardboard game to simply rake in the profits of the Tarkin figure. Everything on this set is cheap cheap cheap. It's all paper and cardboard. The game itself probably cost Hasbro pennies to make and then they slap one of the most wanted figures from the Vintage line and sit back and collect. It's almost a waste of cardboard and paper. I like the box art better than the game itself lol
    Every target I have been to looked to have a bunch of these just sitting. My guess is they will be clearance items soon. I bought 2 when they came out. 1 as a saver, the other as an opener. To our surprise, we all found a carded version of Tarkin rather than a loose one like we were expecting . I kept mine on the card but I would like a loose one to display. Once they go clearance, I will get my loose Tarkin.
    F.S.C.M.E. Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by toyman941 View Post
    Every target I have been to looked to have a bunch of these just sitting. My guess is they will be clearance items soon. I bought 2 when they came out. 1 as a saver, the other as an opener. To our surprise, we all found a carded version of Tarkin rather than a loose one like we were expecting . I kept mine on the card but I would like a loose one to display. Once they go clearance, I will get my loose Tarkin.
    Why did you expect a loose Tarkin? They are all carded in this set.
    "you've taken your first step into a larger world"

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by toyman941 View Post
    Every target I have been to looked to have a bunch of these just sitting. My guess is they will be clearance items soon. I bought 2 when they came out. 1 as a saver, the other as an opener. To our surprise, we all found a carded version of Tarkin rather than a loose one like we were expecting . I kept mine on the card but I would like a loose one to display. Once they go clearance, I will get my loose Tarkin.

    When they first premiered the cardback art for Tarkin, I thought he would be offered both on his own single cardback and just "loose" in the board game. Or at least some other form of packaging in the board game. I know it takes away from the nostalgic board game art work, but I wish you could see his card back without having to open the game. Hasbro thought this one through I think. If you wanted all forms of Tarkin you had to buy 3 board games. One to open and display loose, one to keep on a displayable cardback, and one to keep sealed in the board game. Smart move by them as many people are buying multiples. I bought one and opened it for the loose figure. If they go on on a deep enough sale I will likely get another just to open an have an MOC Tarkin just in case Hasbro decides to continue the Retro line for years to come like they are with the Vintage Collection
    Last edited by WampasGottaEat2; 06-27-2019 at 02:16 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •