Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Star Wars Film Find

Hi Steve,

As you can imagine, my in boxes (I posted the same thing in several Star Wars forums) have blown up, which seems to be geometrically increasing as each tell two friends, who tell two friends, and so on, and so on... So tomorrow (this weekend at the latest) I hope to sit down and start responding to all the great feedback I've gotten. But I had to jump in tonight to thank you for this information and especially that video link with George Lucas. That was just freaky to see him back in late 1979 displaying images from a strip of film that may very well be sitting on a table to my right at this very moment. I'd estimate that about 8-10% of this footage is various animations of walkers, including that exact scene on George's screen. Roughly 30-40% of the strips begin with a series of cells with what appears to be the same info that's on a clapperboard. They are dated from late January to mid-February 1980. There is a few feet of color sound film but with images that appear to have nothing to do with Star Wars. Everything that is has no sound and is entirely in B/W. Many strips are variations of the same scene with the majority related to the battle on Hoth, some scenes on Dagobah and the Cloud City, and a lot of Han, Chewy, Leia, and C3P0 in the Millennium Falcon (most scenes from behind them looking out have no star field) and front or side head shots of Luke in the cockpit of his X-Wing. However, I confess I still have not viewed all of this film, and still have about a third of it to identify. And yes, most of this are strips of only a few feet, but there's also several rolls that extend well over 25 feet, some over 50, and even a few over 100 feet.

Unfortunately, roughly 150-200 feet (a small percentage of it) was damaged from what looks like heat, most likely from when it was stored in my parent's attic back in the '80s after they moved from San Anselmo to Clearlake, CA.

I was also very familiar with the "Park House". I threw a San Francisco Chronicle over a tall white fence at the rear of it every morning at around 4:00 am. Unfortunately, I couldn't get to those garbage cans :-)

Len
    Last edited by Tunstead; 06-07-2019 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Typo

Yes, agree with all. Please do not cut.

Leave "as is" Best way is to digitize the each roll individually.

As to value, it has value, but it depends on your point of view.

Perhaps a doc on the preservation. Who knows what else is on the film.
    Thank you.
    Looking for certain Celebration Europe and Japan items. Please PM me to discuss.
    2007 Scummy award-Still surprised about the recognition.

I sent you a message a few weeks ago about a group possibly getting these scanned before they go up for sale. Would you have any interest in that?
    Last edited by PizzaDaHutt; 06-27-2019 at 04:03 PM.

Hey guys,

So many of you, from this forum and others, have been reaching out to me lately to get an update on what the heck's going on with my film project. I do still intend to respond privately to those of you who have offered your service to clean, restore, sort, edit, and convert to digital, my entire collection, for free (which is amazing and so appreciated). But so many of you in this forum – in fact, literally all of you – have been so enthusiastic, supportive and helpful, you all deserve to be kept in the loop. I know it's not fair to announce a find like this and then just disappear. In fact, I wanted to post this last night but instead had to spend most of it reassuring my 82 year old mother that a 7.1 earthquake in California doesn't mean the "Big One" is coming here in Las Vegas.

So now that I'm starting to get a handle on exactly what I have here, specifically it's value (financially and otherwise), I want to assure you that it would take something extremely important to take my attention completely away from it for any amount of time, let alone almost four weeks. And it did, and it was. In fact, it was a pretty powerful one-two punch that knocked me out of about every other activity that didn't involve me, and my mother, staying in the fight. I don't want to get too personal, but just know that for as long as I'm able I will continue to give this project priority attention. So if I should ever go off-grid again I promise I'll be back (assuming my biopsies keep coming back negative – unfortunately, my mother's didn't).

I'm also in the process of trying to pack up for a move across the country (to a tiny town in Indiana – long story), so my updates will probably be very sporadic for the next couple of months. Having said that, I'm struggling with the logistics of how I'm going to safely and securely get this film to where it needs to be and, most importantly, get it back. It seems that what I would be doing is tantamount to packing up and shipping a package full of newly discovered da Vinci drawings to someone I don't know who has promised to restore and appraise them, then ship back to me (while the whole time remembering the aerial shot of the FedEx truck completely engulfed in flames during the I-5 fire in 2015). Obviously this is nothing personal, but as I'm sure you all can appreciate, this project is going to take some nebula size trust. Otherwise, it's either going to involve me personally overseeing the project, or some kind of escrow arrangement (involving the catch-22 of not knowing the real value of the film until the project is completed). So it may be to my advantage to complete this project before I move to the "boonies" (as my grandfather used to call Kirklin).

If anyone has any potential solutions please let me know. I'm open to any out-of-the-box ideas, no matter how long it would take for the light from the idea to reach the box.

Thanks for your consideration and understanding.

Len Clements
    Las Vegas, NV

There are several well known and trusted collectors who live near Vegas and can probably help logistically. I understand your fears but this is a very tight-knit community and I'm sure something can be worked out to assuage your concerns.

Good luck and sorry to hear about your real life problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12