Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Has Hasbro's Retro line changed your collecting goals?

Quote Originally Posted by Trenchrun View Post
    Some interesting comments here.

Good seeing some classic toylines mentioned I was always a MASK and G1 Transformers kid...and still collect them today
    In the 25th anniversary Joe line there was a character that looked VERY familliar code named "Trakker" looked at the file card and it is Matt Trakker of M.A.S.K.! they were feeling out bringing back the line at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthPete View Post
    I would be on that so fast it would make your head spin. While I'm a dyed in the wool Star Wars collector, I grew up in the era of the o-ring Joes and they ruled my childhood world.

Actually part of the reason I don't currently collect o-ring Joes, is I know just how fast I'll fall down that slippery slope.
    Oh, trust me, I have found myself dabbing into the vintage Joe market every now and then. When I've had enough Star Wars for a while, or if there is just nothing out there I'm interested in, I go back and look for the original line, from 82-87. I've got a whole bunch of the early to mid 90's stuff as well, but I have been considering selling most of that off to buy what I'm missing from the earlier line. Thankfully, Joe's are relatively inexpensive, compared to Star Wars. Only a few things like the WHALE are kinda pricey.

In regards to future generations continuing to collect vintage, I don't think they will have any interest just as I don't care about toys from the 60s and 50s. Although, comic books show it is possible for future generations to take over. Spiderman comics from the 40s sell for millions ( I think the last one up for sale went for 3.2million ) so if star wars continues to be in pop culture vintage might always be in high demand.
    Star Wars has undoubtedly entered into an era of pop culture fame that will continue for generations. Disney knows it and that's why they've made the investments they've made with movies, products, and now whole sections of theme parks. It's in the realm of Marvel comics and characters now, although I guess the SW comics were Marvel anyways hehehe. At this point the fandom and culture is so great that it will never go the way of tin toys of the 50s and 60s. Those things die off with each generation, SW is forever.
    Last edited by WampasGottaEat2; 05-25-2019 at 07:03 AM. Reason: spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by toyman941 View Post
    Well, the one overlooked constant here is, we already have these so our kids won't have to track them down and dish out the money. Can't really control what they will do with them because I'll be dead, but I'm hoping they will keep them .
    I think it's the very fact that children of current collectors won't have to track these toys down or pay for them, that will make them NOT value those collections. If you have something dropped in your lap that you didn't have to work for, then you are not going to really appreciate it as much as someone who had to put real effort into collecting it, or has childhood memories tied to it. That's just human nature. Things that are free or easy to acquire are generally not perceived as valuable.

Personally, I could never dream of owning a 12 back, so these make a good alternative.... Albeit with the annoying edge wear, sticker and inner tray. However, if I could afford a 12 back there's no way I'd be happy with these retros as an alternative, I'd still buy the originals. It was fun driving around finding them, it was like the old days when dad used to drive me around looking for Luke stormie or a falcon ( we never found either
    I'm in the same boat here. If I could afford original 12-backs, I would buy those. However, I have owned 12-backs and other rare carded figures in the past and the experience of owning them is not always fun. I spend so much time obsessing over preserving their condition, keeping them out of sunlight, and worrying about break-ins and theft that I can't say I ever really enjoyed the experience at all. Which is why I almost always sell them off shortly after buying them. In some ways, higher value stuff is more stressful to own, because I am not a museum curator and I tire of the expectation that I should act like one just because I collect vintage toys.

So, with this Retro collection, I can hang the figure up on my wall and display it in the open, not worrying if sunlight hits it or if it falls to the floor. If someone were to break into my home and steal it, who cares? It only cost me $10. Basically, it's a nice ornament that still gives off that vintage vibe and I didn't have to skip a car payment or max out my credit card in order to pay for it.

For those who would call these "junk", I would agree with that. However, back in the 1970s those vintage Kenner 12-backs would have also been perceived as junk, which is why so few of them were preserved and why they hold so much secondary market value today. How does the old saying go? Today's junk is tomorrow's treasure. Now I'm not saying that these Retro collection figures will be super valuable someday, but as toy collectors we are in the hobby of preserving junk.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split. - Robert E. Howard

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I think it's the very fact that children of current collectors won't have to track these toys down or pay for them, that will make them NOT value those collections. If you have something dropped in your lap that you didn't have to work for, then you are not going to really appreciate it as much as someone who had to put real effort into collecting it, or has childhood memories tied to it. That's just human nature. Things that are free or easy to acquire are generally not perceived as valuable.

I'm in the same boat here. If I could afford original 12-backs, I would buy those. However, I have owned 12-backs and other rare carded figures in the past and the experience of owning them is not always fun. I spend so much time obsessing over preserving their condition, keeping them out of sunlight, and worrying about break-ins and theft that I can't say I ever really enjoyed the experience at all. Which is why I almost always sell them off shortly after buying them. In some ways, higher value stuff is more stressful to own, because I am not a museum curator and I tire of the expectation that I should act like one just because I collect vintage toys.

So, with this Retro collection, I can hang the figure up on my wall and display it in the open, not worrying if sunlight hits it or if it falls to the floor. If someone were to break into my home and steal it, who cares? It only cost me $10. Basically, it's a nice ornament that still gives off that vintage vibe and I didn't have to skip a car payment or max out my credit card in order to pay for it.

For those who would call these "junk", I would agree with that. However, back in the 1970s those vintage Kenner 12-backs would have also been perceived as junk, which is why so few of them were preserved and why they hold so much secondary market value today. How does the old saying go? Today's junk is tomorrow's treasure. Now I'm not saying that these Retro collection figures will be super valuable someday, but as toy collectors we are in the hobby of preserving junk.
    Would be awesome to see some retro vehicles, blazing white X-wing, TIE and Falcon complete with LED red bulbs and "battle alert sound" lol

Just another replicant!!!! Were is a Blade Runner when you need one!!! Damm Skin Job's
    Last edited by cichlidjedi; 05-25-2019 at 07:24 PM.

•    
    I think Star Wars is going to be one of those lines that is multi-generational because Lucas and Disney were clever enough to spread it out over so many years. I am VERY confident that that the 'Luke' collector who buys the new stuff will eventually want the 1977 MOC. Then there is the DT MOC, etc. History is what it is - history. And there will always be people who are prepared to buy into it. The true vintage stuff is limited. No matter how you see it, the number of Star Wars fans is growing fast and exponentially. Modern stuff is satisfying that for now, but it will not last as collectors seek those harder-to-find pieces. And those pieces are Vintage.

Collectors will buy the Retro stuff now, but the REAL collectors will itch for the 1977 version MOC. They look great (and I am buying the Vader) but we all know they are not the same.

The ONE thing Star Wars has going for it is that it has lasted over three generations now. Star trek, GI Joe and other lines have not managed to pull that off. Star Wars has. And the original vintage line will always have a place. It is the ORIGINAL line. And it is Kenner - a company that does not exist now. You are kidding yourself if you don't see that. They can copy it, but they cannot go back in time.

Cheers,
    Pat
    Looking for Darth Vader items from all around the world.
    Vader Vintage Collection
    Vader Bootleg Collection

I hear a lot of criticism on the Retro packaging. I personally don't mind the edge wear and the Retro sticker. I also don't mind the inner-tray supporting the figures. I have been collecting ROTJ MOC and have noticed this to be a common feature in this line. My very first carded figure, Luke Jedi, has an inner-tray supporting the figure. The Emperor and Gamorean Guard had them too. This just seems like a continuation of how the packaging would have evolved if the line had continued. Did Droids and Ewoks have inner-trays?
    Wt
    Last edited by Wtrailer; 05-31-2019 at 05:22 AM.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789