Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Hasbro's Retro line changed your collecting goals?

Quote Originally Posted by x98lbwuss View Post
    I don’t understand the hype or animosity about these whatsoever, these are modern figures. The vintage collection has been around for years. This is exactly what these are. Omg they made a Tarkin!, ....Hasbro made one 20 years ago. I don’t get it. I really don’t get why there are so many threads about these on the vintage boards, are the modern threads closed? Why are these even being talked about on here? So many questions...
    Because simply put these are MY Star Wars toys. Most of the people putting these down are too young to have even seen these in the store as a kid. I'm not talking about the end of the line either, I'm talking about when these first came out. There were nothing like it at all. Since then a slew of other figure lines surpassed Kenner Star Wars. But these are the figures that basically ushered in the modern action figure era. Before these we had 8 inch figures that had a very limited selection and even more limited in terms of vehicles and playsets. A typical mego figure was about 4 or 5 dollars. The Star Trek line which was wildly popular spawned less than 20 characters and 2 playsets. When Star Wars arrived, it made its debut with 12 characters and spaceships...omg they have space ships? And at $1.87 each you could by 2 for the price of 1 Mego. It was magical. The nostalgia is super strong for people like me who grew up in the 70s and early 80s. Sure the quality has improved through the years. But those of us who went 10 years with no Star Wars product available immediately latched on to Potf 2 but they just were not the same. As the quality improved time and again there was still something missing. When they released the vintage 4 pack people were excited hoping the line would continue. But at a 50 dollar price point for 4 figures lacking the Iconic packaging, theae were a dud. Back in the day it didn't matter much that these had limited articulation or very rough sculpts. Our imaginations more than made up for it. After all we were KIDS playing with TOYS. As nice as the new Han Stromtrooper is, it will never satisfy the need for a vintage one. We had to use stand ins when we were kids. Same with Tarkin. These were ALL WE HAD. On top of that there were basically one version of a character in each outfit. Save for R2 and Threepio who had a few feature gimmicks worked in. Now we get 20 farmboy lukes or 10 different kinds of Stormtroopers. We had 1 and were ok with it. The simplicity of them is their charm. The nostalgia is what keeps the pegs empty. And if it weren't for these very basic figures being made, you would not have the onslaught of products available today. Don't hate on something you should be grateful for.

It would have done.

I was going to collect these and keep them carded alongside the mint loose run I am currently doing.

But as the Euro/ UK ones will have that horrible piece of folded paper wedged in behind the figure, I won't bother now.

I will just stick with my vintage loose run.

Such a shame, I was extremely excited to collect these too, I though they were the best thing to come along in ages, and then they go and spoil it!
    Last edited by Crumm; 05-21-2019 at 07:25 AM.

this line may have gotten me back in though I dont know if I am doing carded only or opening. So far I only opened stormtrooper. Plastic seems a little more matte finish than true vintage and gun is so tiny it wont stay in hand easily. may need some of those clear tiny rubber bands they use in packages to keep accessories attached on modern figs.

If this line continues I will probably be even more into it. Right now I dont know how much I want to get into it because if this is all there will be or they quit after the original 12 or 21 I would be diappointed. POTF like pop up R2 and Yak would be awesome even with the slightly off characteristics. They are just close enough to tickle the nostalgia nerve without breaking the bank

Quote Originally Posted by BosskHasManners View Post
    Initially, I was shocked at how exciting it was to buy these.

Then I remembered: This is what I wanted from the very start back in the mid-90s revival era...and instead we got POTF2.

As far as how this'll change my collecting? Jury is out in most ways... until they go further with the line.

IF they go further.

For now?

I am uber-wild over these figures. And IF they continue, it'll be all I buy in 3 and 3/4 scale, in (at least) doubles, save for similarly scaled figures that would likely never be made in the Retro Collection style.

Cheers to all who are enjoying this Retro Collection move by Hasbro.
    I think this is exactly how I am feeling. Hoping it keeps going. These should be super profitable for hasbro as the tooling and articulation is very simple compared to anything else. If they move well they could really decide to focus more and more in this area

Quote Originally Posted by Lobotscomb View Post
    Because simply put these are MY Star Wars toys. Most of the people putting these down are too young to have even seen these in the store as a kid. I'm not talking about the end of the line either, I'm talking about when these first came out. There were nothing like it at all. Since then a slew of other figure lines surpassed Kenner Star Wars. But these are the figures that basically ushered in the modern action figure era. Before these we had 8 inch figures that had a very limited selection and even more limited in terms of vehicles and playsets. A typical mego figure was about 4 or 5 dollars. The Star Trek line which was wildly popular spawned less than 20 characters and 2 playsets. When Star Wars arrived, it made its debut with 12 characters and spaceships...omg they have space ships? And at $1.87 each you could by 2 for the price of 1 Mego. It was magical. The nostalgia is super strong for people like me who grew up in the 70s and early 80s. Sure the quality has improved through the years. But those of us who went 10 years with no Star Wars product available immediately latched on to Potf 2 but they just were not the same. As the quality improved time and again there was still something missing. When they released the vintage 4 pack people were excited hoping the line would continue. But at a 50 dollar price point for 4 figures lacking the Iconic packaging, theae were a dud. Back in the day it didn't matter much that these had limited articulation or very rough sculpts. Our imaginations more than made up for it. After all we were KIDS playing with TOYS. As nice as the new Han Stromtrooper is, it will never satisfy the need for a vintage one. We had to use stand ins when we were kids. Same with Tarkin. These were ALL WE HAD. On top of that there were basically one version of a character in each outfit. Save for R2 and Threepio who had a few feature gimmicks worked in. Now we get 20 farmboy lukes or 10 different kinds of Stormtroopers. We had 1 and were ok with it. The simplicity of them is their charm. The nostalgia is what keeps the pegs empty. And if it weren't for these very basic figures being made, you would not have the onslaught of products available today. Don't hate on something you should be grateful for.
    Very well said, and when we say quality has improved, I think the qualifier is that their quality as collectible items has improved; whereas, their quality as toys has diminished. Too flimsy with tiny little joints that wont stay in any position after a few poses and microscopically detailed accessories begging to be lost even if no kids are playing with them let alone if one gets their hands on it. The old stuff started off with the initials L.P in the lower corner standing for "long playing" toys. They certainly delivered as you can pull out a box of old kenner beaters and they can spark a kids imagination fine and so much better than anything on the market today

Quote Originally Posted by aaronthebanker View Post
    I think this is exactly how I am feeling. Hoping it keeps going. These should be super profitable for hasbro as the tooling and articulation is very simple compared to anything else. If they move well they could really decide to focus more and more in this area
    In reality I don't think action figures are made for kids anymore. What kid plays w/ action figures these days? It's really a collector's market now. Even the modern stuff is more for adult collectors than anyone else. W/ the success of Super 7 and all of the other retro items on the market it really is in Hasbro's best interest to go all out w/ this line.
    Wt

And just for some perspective, my teenage son has begun collecting PS2 video games for nostalgia

Hasn't changed any goals for me, I sold off 95% of my vintage MOCs when the demand was at an all-time high and did not want risk having the bubbles get more and more yellow and unsightly. I completed my loose run 20 years ago so no need to buy these to fill in gaps there. I may pick up some to keep carded but kinda meh about them and the weathered look, I do like the idea of using them to display in vintage vehicles though.

If they continue this line and dip into the last 17 it will surely affect the prices on those as a lot of people don't care if they are copies they just want to be able to display them. If you have a lot of money tied up in these now may be the time to sell b/c they could potentially take a hit in value. I hear people say the 95 releases never affected the prices of vintage but those were not expensive last 17 figures so that would be new territory in respects to market impact.

Quote Originally Posted by KeepFrozen View Post
    Hasn't changed any goals for me, I sold off 95% of my vintage MOCs when the demand was at an all-time high and did not want risk having the bubbles get more and more yellow and unsightly. I completed my loose run 20 years ago so no need to buy these to fill in gaps there. I may pick up some to keep carded but kinda meh about them and the weathered look, I do like the idea of using them to display in vintage vehicles though.

If they continue this line and dip into the last 17 it will surely affect the prices on those as a lot of people don't care if they are copies they just want to be able to display them. If you have a lot of money tied up in these now may be the time to sell b/c they could potentially take a hit in value. I hear people say the 95 releases never affected the prices of vintage but those were not expensive last 17 figures so that would be new territory in respects to market impact.
    "alot of people dont care if these are copies"...especially if they are officially licensed professionally manufactured products- that's the game changer here. Yes, they are slightly off but just close enough especially if they do some of the higher value figures

Quote Originally Posted by aaronthebanker View Post
    "alot of people dont care if these are copies"...especially if they are officially licensed professionally manufactured products- that's the game changer here. Yes, they are slightly off but just close enough especially if they do some of the higher value figures
    Even the vintage line had "slightly off" versions of figures. There were clearly different molds throughout the original run which to me makes the Retro line no different.
    Wt

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast