Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Hasbro's Retro line changed your collecting goals?

In my case, no - the retro line is basically another form of modern collecting which doesn't influence how I collect actual vintage. I'll still be on the lookout for specific non-ewok MOCs and all the ewoks I'm still missing. Still on the lookout for some higher-end items. I'd picked up two of the retros on the 12th. Debating whether or not to chase the other four and any follow-ups but that'd just be a slight expansion of my collecting rather than an influence on existing practices.
    "Life as a Slayer is very simple - want, take, have."
    Wants: To retire earlier than 70, another couple pairs of Loubis, and no days below 77 degrees in the summer

Quote Originally Posted by sith_rising View Post
    Just a little, so far. Picked up the Retro Stormtrooper because it was the only one so far that I really wanted, so that saves me about 75 dollars on a good quality re-card. I've noticed that the guy I usually buy re-cards from has started to drop his prices a bit, I guess the writing is on the wall. I never got around to getting a carded vintage Dignitary, so at this point I'm just going to wait a bit and see what happens. If they make a Retro one, I'm all for that. Same nostalgia, just 200 dollars less...
    sounds like a good thing to me then if the prices drop on the originals it ill be easier to afford them.
    lando's not a man he's a power blaster

The total cost of a wave is less than one common average rotj moc. Frugal collectors will have a choice of buying retro for 10 bucks or the same original for hundreds or even thousands. Your die hard vintage collectors aren't really going for these as they've already stated. But those who would like these pieces can and will buy.

Let's just say the make all of the originals . Keep the cost the same and it's less than a grand. You can't buy one 12 back A for that price.

I think it's safe to say this is a new game changer for the time being.
    F.S.C.M.E. Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

Initially, I was shocked at how exciting it was to buy these.

Then I remembered: This is what I wanted from the very start back in the mid-90s revival era...and instead we got POTF2.

As far as how this'll change my collecting? Jury is out in most ways... until they go further with the line.

IF they go further.

For now?

I am uber-wild over these figures. And IF they continue, it'll be all I buy in 3 and 3/4 scale, in (at least) doubles, save for similarly scaled figures that would likely never be made in the Retro Collection style.

Cheers to all who are enjoying this Retro Collection move by Hasbro.

I must admit I was so anti these figures when they were announced but after having my set delivered I'm happy to say I was completely wrong....they look great beside my originals.

I just wonder if Hasbro will release a Blue Snaggletooth or Yakface, they will surely lower the price of the originals because if I was looking to add a Yakface to my collection a $17 near identical and licenced figure would be a lot easier on the wallet than a $300 figure
    Last edited by Aaronaman; 05-20-2019 at 10:47 PM.

I donít understand the hype or animosity about these whatsoever, these are modern figures. The vintage collection has been around for years. This is exactly what these are. Omg they made a Tarkin!, ....Hasbro made one 20 years ago. I donít get it. I really donít get why there are so many threads about these on the vintage boards, are the modern threads closed? Why are these even being talked about on here? So many questions...
    Last edited by x98lbwuss; 05-20-2019 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Sp

Quote Originally Posted by x98lbwuss View Post
    I don’t understand the hype or animosity about these whatsoever, these are modern figures. The vintage collection has been around for years. This is exactly what these are. Omg they made a Tarkin!, ....Hasbro made one 20 years ago. I don’t get it.
    "Resurrecting/Continuing the vintage line."

^Sums it up for me.

I love it. I'll buy it ALL.

Don't think I'm the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by toyman941 View Post
    The total cost of a wave is less than one common average rotj moc. Frugal collectors will have a choice of buying retro for 10 bucks or the same original for hundreds or even thousands. Your die hard vintage collectors aren't really going for these as they've already stated. But those who would like these pieces can and will buy.

Let's just say the make all of the originals . Keep the cost the same and it's less than a grand. You can't buy one 12 back A for that price.

I think it's safe to say this is a new game changer for the time being.
    I think its a positive game changer when it comes to the collecting habits of most people to be frank - are there really that many buyers outside of hardcore Kenner collectors that still spend hundreds / thousands on single figures? I mean no offense to that group, but I simply consider it a waste of money. I think a lot of fans, whether lifelong, new to the hobby, casual collectors, etc look at all of these as toys and would never shell out for MOC originals. Owning a Kenner figure has its perks, lets be honest - its a piece of our youth - these aren't. I think many will soon weigh that in their head as well - owning a replica, which serves as a fun display piece works equally well as a 40 year old toy would. The deeper this line goes, the bigger impact it will have on the goals and buying habits of the collecting community, and those that are joining now because of the Retro line.

Quote Originally Posted by x98lbwuss View Post
    Why are these even being talked about on here? So many questions...
    Since these figures are made by the same company as the originals (Hasbro purchased Kenner and now own all of their intellectual property) and are made as close to the 1970s and 80s figures as possible then can't they really be seen as a continuation of the original line.

In a weird way they are 'vintage' so that might be why vintage collectors like/talk about them
    Last edited by Aaronaman; 05-20-2019 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaronaman View Post
    Since these figures are made by the same company as the originals (Hasbro purchased Kenner and now own all of their intellectual property) and are made as close to the 1970s and 80s figures as possible then can't they really be seen as a continuation of the original line.

In a weird way they are 'vintage' so that might be why vintage collectors like/talk about them
    This is pretty much how I see it. Just a return of the original line. Like a previous poster said this was what I was hoping for back in 1995.
    Wt

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast