Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parting out a Y-Wing

Parting out a Y-Wing

I'm going to be parting out a Y-Wing soon. Having never pulled one of these apart before and since I don't want to break anything with my caveman hands, I have a few questions. Whats the trick to pulling the following parts off:

1) Engine Strut Assembly (keeping the entire thing intact, thrusters and struts)
    2) Nose Guns
    3) Top Gun/Cannon
    4) Canopy

I know it is probably really simple, but if I break something I'm going to be pissed. hahaha

I did one a while ago and it wasn't too complicated. Only tricky part was cleanly removing the engine decals so the halves can come apart.

Just take pics as you go and you won't have to worry too much about keeping the engine assembly intact. If you just don't want to fiddle with getting it all back together, try to tape them up to secure everything in place before you remove them.

The front cannons on mine were bent so I just removed the front screws and wedged open the end. It didn't take much space to free the cannons from the body. I had to eventually open it up anyway for other reasons, but if these cannons are all you need to get to, you might get away by just loosening the front.

The others parts you list just pop out as I recall. Maybe a hair dryer would be good insurance against breaking them as you remove.

Good luck!

I'm pretty sure RetroBlasting has two great videos on how this might be done. I'd recommend you give them a watch!

as much as i gripe about retro blasting i used their video as a guide when i took mine apart. just watch out for that damned landing gear rig ugh. i cut my stickers with a screw driver so i wouldnt have to tear them
    lando's not a man he's a power blaster

Thanks for the replies everyone. I used retroblasting's videos for dismantling an AT-AT and it went great. I'll check out his Y-wing one too. Hairdryer on old plastic is always a safe bet to prevent cracking. Thanks and I'll let you know how it goes or if anything else comes up with it.

My favorite ship hands down. Another tip is your motor. If it doesn't work put the batteries in backwards and try it. If not then install batteries correct and gently move the gears to get them going. Just a tiny bit is all you need. Those motors usually don't go bad unless they have been completely corroded. I love that ship.. post pics when you finish.
    F.S.C.M.E. Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

Quote Originally Posted by toyman941 View Post
    My favorite ship hands down. Another tip is your motor. If it doesn't work put the batteries in backwards and try it. If not then install batteries correct and gently move the gears to get them going. Just a tiny bit is all you need. Those motors usually don't go bad unless they have been completely corroded. I love that ship.. post pics when you finish.
    Thanks Toyman. Yes the motor works fine. This is a duplicate Y-wing I have and since I don't really need two I'm going to part it out for others trying to complete theirs and maybe make a couple bucks that I can put towards finishing off the final last 17 figures I have left to acquire. Y-wing is definitely my favorite ship too with the snowspeeder in close second.

Quote Originally Posted by WampasGottaEat2 View Post
    Thanks Toyman. Yes the motor works fine. This is a duplicate Y-wing I have and since I don't really need two I'm going to part it out for others trying to complete theirs and maybe make a couple bucks that I can put towards finishing off the final last 17 figures I have left to acquire. Y-wing is definitely my favorite ship too with the snowspeeder in close second.
    Well, I can say your struts by themselves can fetch 10 a piece. The full strut assembly sells quick. Top gun turret and front cannons go high as well. Good luck on the sales.
    F.S.C.M.E. Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

Quote Originally Posted by WampasGottaEat2 View Post
    do you have the bomb? thats all i need for mine and on ebay it goes for like 30 to 35$ for both haves. i only took mine apart to fix the motor. those struts do indeed cost 10$ each with full assemblys going for about 50$
    lando's not a man he's a power blaster

I'm kind of torn on parting out vehicles. On one hand people need parts (like me). On the other it just feels like a lot of parts, mostly the main bodies, will be abandoned forever sadly. If I buy a incomplete vehicle for parts, I usually just keep it around until I gradually see cheap parts to restore it. I also usually never sell them at a low enough price where someone may part it out again, just for the hopes someone will keep it. As to the Y-Wing, I need one strut to complete mine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast