Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Guide to Starting Star Wars Figure Collecting

A Guide to Starting Star Wars Figure Collecting

Hi Guys,

I've been interested in starting to collect Star Wars Figures, but I don't really have any idea where to start. I've heard of some of the terms here and there, like Vintage Collection, Black Series, and some of the size variations, but that's about it. Is there a guide somewhere that talks a person through all the options, for example here on these forums, a website, or maybe a Youtube Video or two?

Any help you could offer would be really helpful, and most appreciated.

LukeonWheels

There are hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of Star Wars action figures that have been made. Are you looking to buy a certain scale? There's the 3 3/4" figures and the 6" scale. The black series usually refers to the 6" figures, but there are some 4" black series figures as well. Vintage Collection is going to be figures/vehicles in the 4" scale that have the classic silver striping. Rebelscum has a Hasbro photo guide:

http://rebelscum.com/hasbro.asp

Hello there,

I've not seen a guide per say, but there are books on the subject of Star Wars action figures ("Star Wars Action Figure Archive" or "Star Wars The Ultimate Action Figure Collection", etc) that you might want to browse to see what interests you. You can also check out the photo archives on this ( http://www.rebelscum.com/hasbro.asp ) and other sites to see current releases, as all the books were released a number of years ago. The options for collecting are really endless, because it changes all the time. First you should decide if you prefer to do a character / movie focus, or collect in general. Depending on that, its best to pick a scale. My preference is the 3.75 scale, because there are literally hundreds of different characters to choose over the years - no other scale offers that variety, nor ever will. You should also be conscience about your budget, and the pricepoint of various lines. Its important to decide whether you'll start collecting with what's available now, or if you'll retroactively try to collect all or some of what's come before. Space is consideration for many, so plan out how you want to display your collection, and how it will be stored. My best advice though - buy what you love, as that's the most fulfilling part of the hobby.

Hey guys, thanks for your responses, I really appreciate it.

I am very aware that there is so many hundreds of Star Wars Figures, that's what makes me so overwhelmed by the whole process, so any feedback is really helpful.

In collecting, I'd like to pick a collection that offers as much choice and coverage as possible, mostly in characters. If there's a ship I really want, there would be a very small amount, so I'd likely just get one I really wanted, the one that looked best, but when it comes to the characters themselves, I want to stick with a single line. I'd also like to go beyond just characters from the movies, as I love the animated series, the comics and the books. I used the reboot of the entire timeline that came with Disney's purchase of Lucasfilm as the perfect opportunity to stay up to date with the new canon, and begin reading all the extended material that was released after this point-I'd never read any Star Wars books before this point. So I'd be pursuing figures of Luke, Leia and Han just as much as Doctor Aphra, Thrawn and Ahsoka.

It sounds like the 3.75, or three and three quarter inch scale, is the one for me. Is this part of the Black Series? Or something else?

LukeonWheels

The Black Series was once a label for all super articulated figures, both 3.75 and 6 inch, until TVC was brought back. TBS (The Black Series) is now a 6 inch line. TVC (The Vintage Collection) is a 3.75 assortment on the original Kenner cardbacks, but covering characters from the entire saga, and the EU. The other 3.75 options are retail are the Retro Collection, which are replica Kenner figures on vintage cardbacks as well as the Star Wars Universe line which currently only has animated Resistance figures. The same universe line was a basic 3.75 line for movies like Solo and The Last Jedi, which are realistically sculpted like TVC, but don't feature as much articulation. Some of those figures can still be found at retail. There is no single 3.75 line that covers everything though, especially if you want some of the unique figures from years past. Are you planning on keeping them carded, or loose?

Thank you so much for your quick response, it's really appreciated, once again. Can I just ask a couple of questions to make sure I'm following you right, and not getting anything wrong?

So is TBS solely six inches now?
    My 3.75 options then are TVC, Retro Collection, and the Star Wars Universe Line?
    Do these collections look similar stylistically? If you had figures of these collections side by side, would it be obvious they're from different collections, and different styles?
    Would you say TVC has the widest range of characters available then?
    What does "Carded" and "Loose" mean exactly? I've heard the term "Carded" before, but don't know what it means.

LukeonWheels

Most of the "styles" for the modern 4" action figures are the same.

The original vintage line was much simpler in terms of sculpts/articulation/paint applications.

When the line was revived in 1995, the figures were buff and the figures have generally gotten more accurate as the years have gone by. The figures that would stand out from the standard "style" would be certain Clone Wars figures (from the original 2D line and from the newer line based on the CGI animated series). Some of the figures with comic-based colors may look a bit odd among other figures.

Depending on the line, some figures are going to stand out more than others. The Rebel Fleet soldier from 1997ish looks completely ridiculous next to say a Vintage Collection Darth Vader. Other figures from that time are not as bad. Momaw Nadon and a lot of the other aliens/creatures still look okay today (although most of them have had newer/more accurate figures made). Here's a link for a comparison tool:

http://jedibusiness.com/compare.aspx...61&view2=view8

Carded means the figure is still "new" and in the package. Loose means the action figure has been removed from its original packaging.

Sounds like if you are more interested in the characters and just the occasional vehicle then you are probably going to enjoy the 6" Black Series the most. The most recent offering in recent years have been excellent since Hasbro started doing their "face print" technology. The figures look much nicer than the older 6" figures.

It's a good time to start collecting the 6" Black Series because you can get the new stuff that is coming out, but you can also get the 6" Black Series "Archive" collection where Hasbro has re-released some favorites and has made some improvements when possible by using the face print tech. These figures were some of the older figures that have been very expensive to get on the secondary market.
    Just like the time I could have met Mr. T at the mall. The entire day, I kept saying, "l'll go a little later, I'll go a littler later..." And when I got there, they told me he just left. And when I asked the mall guy if he'll ever come back again, he said he didn't know. Well, I'm never going to let something like that happen again!

Just a note that some 4" figures use the "photo-real" technology as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeonWheels View Post
    Thank you so much for your quick response, it's really appreciated, once again. Can I just ask a couple of questions to make sure I'm following you right, and not getting anything wrong?

So is TBS solely six inches now?
    My 3.75 options then are TVC, Retro Collection, and the Star Wars Universe Line?
    Do these collections look similar stylistically? If you had figures of these collections side by side, would it be obvious they're from different collections, and different styles?
    Would you say TVC has the widest range of characters available then?
    What does "Carded" and "Loose" mean exactly? I've heard the term "Carded" before, but don't know what it means.

LukeonWheels
    Yes, TBS is solely a 6 inch line now - and if you plan to buy ships / vehicles - the 6 inch range has very few. The 3.75 scale is diverse though, and they've covered immense ground over the years. Ever since the vintage days, the smaller 3.75 figures were designed to be compatible with vehicles.

Your options of
    TVC, Retro Collection, and the Star Wars Universe Line are only what's currently shipping to retail. There is also a current 3.75 Galaxy of Adventures line, which is made up of core heroes / villains. Both TVC and GOA are realistically sculpted, based on movie appearance. The Retro figures are based on the Kenner sculpts, so those are pure nostalgia. The Resistance line is based on the cartoon, so while they're the same scale, they look slightly different because the sculpts are animated, so they're a bit thinner, have longer legs, etc. I personally mix-and-match everything in the 3.75 range, but some people aren't into the animated figures. There are a number of animated figures that look great when mixed with other realistically sculpted figures, so you can easily combine collections. My suggestion is to not limit yourself to one collection or only what's currently at retail, because most of the amazing characters from previous years may never be repacked or resculpted.

I think your other questions were answered. Like I mentioned, check out the photo archives and see what strikes you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast