Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Star Wars 3.75” Retro Line - Removing “Retro” Sticker

I guess I can see both sides of this coin. I like the fact that if you remove the sticker you get a much better and displayable cardback image. On the other side of the coin I like the appeal of round almost "mail away" style sticker they put on this line. I wonder how or if it will evolve over time. Will they keep the sticker or do away with it? Or will they print it on? Preferably I think that they should keep it as the sticker so that collectors have the option of removing it or keeping it. I don't see it going away since it's hasbro's call card to obviously brand it as the "retro collection"

Quote Originally Posted by WampasGottaEat2 View Post
    I guess I can see both sides of this coin. I like the fact that if you remove the sticker you get a much better and displayable cardback image. On the other side of the coin I like the appeal of round almost "mail away" style sticker they put on this line. I wonder how or if it will evolve over time. Will they keep the sticker or do away with it? Or will they print it on? Preferably I think that they should keep it as the sticker so that collectors have the option of removing it or keeping it. I don't see it going away since it's hasbro's call card to obviously brand it as the "retro collection"
    The sticker's grown on me and fits the "beater" vibe of the total card composition

Could we see a close up picture of the cards you said to have removed the stickers from just using your fingernails? That's some amazing luck you had by not tearing the paper nor having any glue residue issues and exposing the blisters and figures to direct sunlight. Personally, I love to see step by step pictures of your fingernail method of sticker removal under sunlight or a video. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    That big ugly sticker is the Blasphemy.

I removed mine only using a gentle fingernail scrape and patience. I did find myself with time to kill after picking up a pair of stormtroopers. They were sitting on the passenger seat while I was in a parking lot. In the direct sun light they were getting quite warm. I found that eased the sticker adhesive and aided in removing the stickers on at least those two.

Again, just gentle picks of the fingernail at the edges of the sticker. Then when enough is pulled away, you can gently tug on the sticker and let it pull away from the card. Slow is the key here. Also I found that keeping it in the sunlight kept the adhesive warm as I pulled the sticker along. Every bit helps.
    Sith Apprentice
    My Trading Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by aaronthebanker View Post
    The sticker's grown on me and fits the "beater" vibe of the total card composition
    Yeah, I kind of like it and it very clearly marks this line as a reproduction line. I might eventually attempt to remove it, but for now I'm fine with it being there.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split. - Robert E. Howard

I'm wondering if it will just fall off in its own time. I guess it depends on the quality of the glue. I'm leaving mine alone and let nature take its course.
    F.S.C.M.E. Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

Quote Originally Posted by toyman941 View Post
    I'm wondering if it will just fall off in its own time. I guess it depends on the quality of the glue. I'm leaving mine alone and let nature take its course.
    Considering I have moc’s that are 40 years old that still have price tags on them,...I wouldn’t hold your breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
    Could we see a close up picture of the cards you said to have removed the stickers from just using your fingernails? That's some amazing luck you had by not tearing the paper nor having any glue residue issues and exposing the blisters and figures to direct sunlight. Personally, I love to see step by step pictures of your fingernail method of sticker removal under sunlight or a video. Thank you.
    Well, you did say thank you. So I guess I have an obligation now. It really isn't much that you just wouldn't expect to see. As for the sunlight, that was only about 30 minutes, I think it takes more than that for the UV to start to effect the plastics. Especially since these figures are pretty much destined to live a box in a closet for the next many years.

I'm using the spoiler tag to supress the large amount of pictures to both impacts phone users as well as massive impacts if this post is 'quoted' in a reply.

Spoiler:  

First I have already removed stickers from two of these stormtroopers. Luckily I have a third that I can use for a demo. I just start with gently picking at an edge to work it away from the card. At this point I'm just trying to get enough away from the card so that I have something to tug on.

Finger nail - not to be used as a weapon.

Pick Pick Pick

Got some more exposed

Finally something to grab on to.

Now gently pull on the sticker. I pull someone diagonally. That puts more pulling on a smaller area and keeps the effort from pulling on a larger surface of the card that would lead to rips.

Those are not hairs, just shadows in the wrinkles.

About half way done. Things pick up here and it goes much quicker.

Just about done now. I will switch the phone over to camera and video the final removal.

https://youtu.be/3l_y6o92-jA

All Done

Now they join the rest of the Empire.

Show off pick of all my Stormies.

I hope that was what you were hoping for. I've done this several times. There is some minor adhesive to rub off in spots, but that is to be expected.
    Last edited by Cyclone; 06-06-2019 at 09:19 AM.

Thank for the pictures. You seem to have the perfect touch to remove the stickers just with your fingers. So now we know of three ways to remove the stickers: the hair dryer, the lighter fuel and the sunheat/fingernail. Thanks for your contribution.
    Sith Apprentice
    My Trading Feedback

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345