Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars 3.75” Retro Line - Removing “Retro” Sticker

Quote Originally Posted by LightSword View Post

Julian, thank you so much for your detailed post on the trial and successes you have had with these stickers. It is truly awe inspiring and need to give it a try myself.

i did have two further questions to ask. One, where is the best store to find that brand of lighter fluid? Secondly, when you try to saturate the sticker, how much lighter fluid are you applying? Just a light coating or can you go moderate?

Thanks again, this is why I love this forum. So many willing to help!

Wouldn't a heat gun work to remove without the need to put liquid on the cardboard backing?

Quote Originally Posted by starwarspikey View Post
    Wouldn't a heat gun work to remove without the need to put liquid on the cardboard backing?
    I think it was mentioned somewhere earlier that even the heat from a hair dryer was enough to start warping the bubble. Get a heat gun just a little too close, and it's trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by starwarspikey View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but my success rate with "hey, I bet my heat gun can fix this" ideas (that aren't automotive related) is about 80% "alright, alright, alright" and 20% spectacular and catastrophic failure.

The failures were mostly because I lost focus for a split second and the heat got out of control. On paper products with any kind of coating, you run the risk of the coating trying to melt or shrink and warping the packaging/book cover/whatever.

A hair dryer is a much less risky option if you're going with heat to loosen sticker glue.

But lighter fluid is the way to go.
    Last edited by MasterCom; 05-11-2019 at 07:50 PM. Reason: words are hard

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Jedi View Post
    Julian, thank you so much for your detailed post on the trial and successes you have had with these stickers. It is truly awe inspiring and need to give it a try myself.

i did have two further questions to ask. One, where is the best store to find that brand of lighter fluid? Secondly, when you try to saturate the sticker, how much lighter fluid are you applying? Just a light coating or can you go moderate?

Thanks again, this is why I love this forum. So many willing to help!
    You are very welcome, Kevin. Glad to help!

You can get the Ronsonol lighter fuel at Walgreens Pharmacy, and also at Walmart. I bought mine at my local Walgreens. I just poured some of it inside a water bottle cap and dipped the end of the Q-tip in it until all the cotton area was covered. A light coating without applying too much pressure on the sticker is how I did it, just to be on the safe side. Just make sure you cover the whole sticker using a light paint brush motion. You'll see the sticker shine for a few seconds, and get some dark spots in some areas. Let it sit for a couple of minutes, and give it another coat, wait until the shine vanishes again and then start to raise an edge of the sticker. Grab that edge using the fingernails of your index and thumb and pull back on it slowly thus creating more of a raised edge until you can actually grab it with your fingertips, then start to peel back on the sticker, again, slowly. Good luck!

Note: Keep in mind that while the "Lighter fuel" name might sound a little scary, this product is actually recommended by the manufacturer to remove labels, so there is no harm to the card. I've been doing it for years and never had any issues with the cards and collected action figures since the 90's. I've also used it to remove stickers from high-end collectible boxes, and the integrity of the image/paper has not deteriorated through the years. Of course, use caution, don't over saturate the sticker, don't rub hard on it with the Q-tip and try not to get a ton of the fuel directly on the card. That said, being the glue on these so sticky, there's always a chance of tearing up the paper. As I learned in model building years ago, moderation and patience are always the key words for best results.

Last edited by LightSword; 05-12-2019 at 05:17 PM.
    - There's some human instinct which makes a man collect what he is not to make any use of - Mark Twain

My Feedback , My Collection

I picked up a second Stormtrooper and Vader today. After I opened them, I got under the sticker of the Stormtrooper card with the tip of a utility knife and lifted it enough to start removing. No chemicals, no heat. It came off, very slowly, and did leave a bit of residue. Didn't really bother to clean it off, because just a very small, tiny little speck of the cardback did get some damage. I don't want the chemical to soak into that spot. I'll probably dab over it again with some clear tape and try to clean off the rest of the residue. Don't think I'll be trying it on the first set of 6 I got. But man, do I really wish they would have gone with something smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by LightSword View Post
    You are very welcome, Kevin. Glad to help!
    Julian, I have to tip my cap again here to you for your complete willingness to help out a collecting community with exceptional advice and detailed pics. I followed all of your tips and recommendations to a “T” and could not be more pleased with the results. I only had 1 of my 7 figures that acted a little more troublesome than most, but do to the lighter fluid working it’s magic, I was still able to lightly scrape with my nail to remove the torn sticker without any damage whatsoever to the card back. THESE LOOK FREAKING BEAUTIFUL!!

Now on to my next step for getting some nice cases for these to display! ��

Last edited by Irish_Jedi; 05-25-2019 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Jedi View Post
    Julian, I have to tip my cap again here to you for your complete willingness to help out a collecting community with exceptional advice and detailed pics. I followed all of your tips and recommendations to a “T” and could not be more pleased with the results. I only had 1 of my 7 figures that acted a little more troublesome than most, but do to the lighter fluid working it’s magic, I was still able to lightly scrape with my nail to remove the torn sticker without any damage whatsoever to the card back. THESE LOOK FREAKING BEAUTIFUL!!

Now on to my next step for getting some nice cases for these to display! ��
    Thank you for your kind words. I'm so glad it worked for you, Kevin. You are an honest and respectful collector, and just to know what I posted helped you out makes my day. Your set looks great, man! When you get the cases for these, if you could please PM me the link and proper size so I can get some cases for my own set, that'd be great. Thanks.

Edit: I took the liberty to show the picture of your set at its regular size so everyone can see it without having to click on the thumbnail. They look perfect!

Last edited by LightSword; 05-25-2019 at 02:17 PM.
    - There's some human instinct which makes a man collect what he is not to make any use of - Mark Twain

My Feedback , My Collection

As much as these make me cringe they do look great without the retro stickers!!! Damm you guys are making me rethink my blasphemy position????

That big ugly sticker is the Blasphemy.

I removed mine only using a gentle fingernail scrape and patience. I did find myself with time to kill after picking up a pair of stormtroopers. They were sitting on the passenger seat while I was in a parking lot. In the direct sun light they were getting quite warm. I found that eased the sticker adhesive and aided in removing the stickers on at least those two.

Again, just gentle picks of the fingernail at the edges of the sticker. Then when enough is pulled away, you can gently tug on the sticker and let it pull away from the card. Slow is the key here. Also I found that keeping it in the sunlight kept the adhesive warm as I pulled the sticker along. Every bit helps.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast