Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars 3.75” Retro Line - Removing “Retro” Sticker

Ended up getting an extra set for my son. However, he wanted the stickers removed. So, I remembered back in the day removing the price stickers from figures from Toys R Us, and with a little help from lighter fuel, Goo-gone, a few Q-tips and a microfiber towel, I went ahead not expecting much, but indeed, it all worked great and I was able to remove every sticker without damaging the card backs. The pictures below are for those folks out there wanting to remove the stickers, and I'm just trying to show what worked for me. Don't blame me if you tear the paper trying. Just have a lot of patience, allow the lighter fuel to set for a couple of minutes over the sticker before starting to peel it off by raising up one edge of the sticker, and pull back on it slowly. If you encounter some resistance by the glue, wet the area again with more lighter fuel to soften the glue. Once the sticker is removed you'll be left with some sticky residue, but that comes off easy with a dab of Goo-gone on a microfiber towel, which is soft and won't harm the card back

Last edited by LightSword; 05-12-2019 at 03:35 AM.
    - There's some human instinct which makes a man collect what he is not to make any use of - Mark Twain

My Feedback , My Collection

I got a Tarkin figure in that Escape from the Death Star game at Target last night.

I just used my fingernail to gently raise up an edge of the sticker. Then I just slowly worked it up. Just gently and slowly tugging on the edges as they slowly peeled away from the card. Never appeared to cause any stress on the card's surface. I had it removed in about 3 minutes. It was not a ordeal and no chemicals were used.

Oh, and they really did a good job on this Tarkin. Looks just like he'll fit in with my Vintage figures.

Really? Congratulations. You are a VERY lucky guy. The first person online having reported to have removed the stickers (in 3 minutes!) without the use of chemicals or a hair dryer. Every other person is reporting the opposite. My husband removed the stickers of a whole set for me a few days ago as the figures were to be opened, and I can firmly say they just don't come off with your fingernail alone, without either damaging the card and or leaving a sticky residue behind. Anyone having these already can tell they just don't come off that easy. Those that still don't have the figures will be able to tell on Sunday. We used a hair dryer and even then some of the cards got damaged, and we are not new at collecting. My advice to anyone attempting to remove the stickers, use either a hair dryer or the method showing above as the safest ways to get the stickers off. Using just your fingernail and pulling on the stickers alone most likely will mess up the card. Yes, the glue is that strong.
    Sith Apprentice
    My Trading Feedback

I'm just going to leave them on. Who's to say they won't dry up and fall off later on down the road anyways. I'm no modern collector however I have read that some of the newer figures from various lines had issues with bubbles coming right off the card after a few years.
    F.S.C.M.E. Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

Now all we need is someone who can come up with a plan to fix that awful card edge faux weathering!

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveSlaveLeia View Post
    Now all we need is someone who can come up with a plan to fix that awful card edge faux weathering!
    I can do it!

- There's some human instinct which makes a man collect what he is not to make any use of - Mark Twain

Sword you are a hero but sorry there aren't enough Yavin medals. Get in line behind the wookie...lol. I ripped one tarkin card trying... Dont know if its worth the 20 for another go at it... Thanks so much I love that you gave us a Pictorial. Using a qtip and going slow was never mentioned. They came out beautiful. Major kudos.
    Last edited by Lobotscomb; 05-10-2019 at 09:05 PM.

Haha! Thank you for your kind words. No need for a medal; I'll let the Wookiee get them all. Just doing it for the love of the hobby. I really don't recommend doing the removing of the stickers, unless folks find it to be so extremely necessary they can't fall asleep at night thinking about those darn round things. I did it for my son, but not without warning him first there was a great chance of getting the cards messed up. So with that said, I went ahead and helped him out as if they were my own cards, with a lot of care. I think I lucked out getting them all removed with zero damage. Although the lighter fluid did make things a lot easier, the glue is really sticky and there were moments when it felt I was going to rip the paper.

As far as this Retro line and action figures in general go, I wanted to say I collected everything Star Wars by Hasbro from '95 to 2010 when I sold my complete loose and carded collections, and headed straight on for high-end collectibles. Since then I hadn't collected another Hasbro SW action figure. Because of that nostalgic feel kicking in, bringing back memories when life itself seemed a lot simpler as a kid, this Line has pulled me back into the world of "little people in plastic cells". I'm not interested in other lines but this one alone, and only carded figures. The set I got for me remains with the stickers on it. I realize the large size of the stickers and where Hasbro chose to apply them make them a bit intrusive, covering a good portion of the pictures of the characters. That being said, while the cards do look better with the stickers removed, there's a risk involved in getting them to look that way, and if I mess up, I'd have to go buy another card, and at ten bucks a pop, it really isn't something I want to do. I also feel the presentation of the set was meant to look the way it does with the stickers, and by removing them, I'd be sort of erasing its intended look. Of course, that's just me and I can see why some folks are doing it for aesthetic reasons. Now those fake wore out edges, I do wish I could do something about.
    Last edited by LightSword; 05-11-2019 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LightSword View Post
    Ended up getting an extra set for my son. However, he wanted the stickers removed. So, I remembered back in the day removing the price stickers from figures from Toys R Us, and with a little help from lighter fluid, Goo-gone, a few Q-tips and a microfiber towel, I went ahead not expecting much, but indeed, it all worked great and I was able to remove every sticker without damaging the card backs. The pictures below are for those folks out there wanting to remove the stickers, and I'm just trying to show what worked for me. Don't blame me if you rip the card trying. Just have a lot of patience, allow the lighter fluid to set for a couple of minutes over the sticker before starting to peel it off by raising up one edge of the sticker, and pull back on it slowly. If you encounter some resistance by the glue, wet the area again with more lighter fluid to soften the glue. Once the sticker is removed you'll be left with some sticky residue, but that comes off easy with a dab of Goo-gone on a microfiber towel, which is soft and won't harm the card back
    Though this looks INCREDIBLE, going to just leave my stickers on as you suggested.
    He's no good to me dead!

....lighter fluid is very bad to put on a moc. Yes it will remove the sticker goo and
    leave no damage...but several years down the road the card will bubble where the lighter fluid was used. This was popular many years ago and I thought the word was out that it's a no no. I unfortunately have damaged a few sw cards years ago with this method. K

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast