Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars 3.75” Retro Line - Removing “Retro” Sticker

I commented in the modern section about this, but I'll say pretty much the same thing here. I really don't know why they had to go with such a big sticker in the first place. Knowing how much we all enjoy the photos on the vintage cards, why in hell would they slap on a sticker that covers half the card art? They should have gone with something much smaller, along the line of the figure offers. There is enough room above the bubble, to the left of the name pill, that a smaller "Retro" sticker would have worked well. Or maybe down in the lower right corner, like the "Emperor" offer. It's just a shame they went with something so big.

OK i tried removing the big *** sticker with a hair dryer......

the bubble is fragile and starts to warp rather easily...
    they put the stickers on with very unfriendly glue. The glue seeps into the card, and created moisture under the image. Hence no matter how careful I was The image lifted from the card. These are not made from typical action figure card stock either, they are thinner than originals and flimsy. It was Tarkin, so maybe the individual carded releases will be different? my findings so far tell me another method must be tried. This one is a bust.

we could start to complain about the sticker. maybe the collector outlet ones will be presented sans-sticker, or a smaller removable one on the bubble?
    Last edited by Lobotscomb; 05-08-2019 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobotscomb View Post

they put the stickers on with very unfriendly glue. The glue seeps into the card, and created moisture under the image. Hence no matter how careful I was The image lifted from the card. These are not made from typical action figure card stock either, they are thinner than originals and flimsy. It was Tarkin, so maybe the individual carded releases will be different? my findings so far tell me another method must be tried. This one is a bust.

we could start to complain about the sticker. maybe the collector outlet ones will be presented sans-sticker, or a smaller removable one on the bubble?
    Lobot, very appreciative of your feedback here and this is exactly why this forum can be a great resource, especially if we can gather some ideas on future sticker placement influence.

One question I have for you, did you try the blow dryer only on the front side or also on the back? I am thinking I might try it on the back side.

i was able to pick up a 2nd set of the original 6 today, so I am feeling more brazen, knowing that I have a backup.

Use this and this ONLY to remove stickers! A little patience and a little technique and you can remove any sticker with zero residue.

"I'm such a hardcore OT purist, I hate the title "A New Hope" being added!"
    My Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi534 View Post
    Use this and this ONLY to remove stickers! A little patience and a little technique and you can remove any sticker with zero residue.

Thank you Jedi for sharing. I presume you can find this brand of lighter fluid at a local Target or Walmart?

You preach patience and technique for removing any sticker. Do you have any further words of wisdom or a video you recommend watching? Thanks again for the feedback!

only tried from the front. can someone explain fluid technique. all single packed figs here are register locked still...

only tried from the front. can someone explain fluid technique. all single packed figs here are register locked still...
    go back 1 page and start reading from the top

Paint thinner works too. But don't get paint stripper.

Quote Originally Posted by ksg View Post
    Paint thinner works too. But don't get paint stripper.
    Thinner works but it is a lot more agressive and can cause harm to the plastic blister. Lighter fluid/naptha is the safest product i can think of to remove stickers but to be fair there is no way to tell what kind of effect short term exposure will have on the thermo adhesive layer on the cardback on the long run so removing stickers or tape from valuable collectibles is not something i would recommend.

I can also confirm it seems like the sticker causes bubbling to the card. I just tried peeling one off as it seemed like it wasn’t adhered to strongly... it came off easily for the most part, then tore a chunk at the end. However they area under the sticker was all bubbled up like it had gotten wet.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast