Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What figures do you refuse to add to your collection?

At this time I'm not after the Droids or Ewoks lines. When I finish my regular loose run, then yes, I think the desire to add them will be greater. I like the Droids line over the Ewoks line and may pursue those first. To me, in this hobby of collecting toys, nothing is safe from being collected. In a bag of figures I picked up at Goodwill the other day there were 90s Spiderman, 90s Batman, aaaaand a Princess Jasmine from Aladdin that was made in '92. Guess what? I'm keeping Jasmine also. hahaha. Like I said, nothing is safe so long as it's vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulgah View Post
    Who said anything about cost? And I don’t need the trite “they’re just toys” newbie sermon.

Certainly, people only should spend what they can afford, and only on what they want to own. No one wants anyone to buy Droids and Ewoks. Just to appreciate them.
    Only the first paragraph was a reply to your quote. This is another instance where you flew off the handles when I was agreeing with you, lol. My second paragraph was discussing MY feelings as to how I limit MY collection.

Same as a lot of people. Some of the last 17 and beyond. Never saw them as a kid. Got them as a adult, didn't like them, sold them. At least 8 of the 17 are almost like a different toy line to me.
    Last edited by Chad_D; 05-27-2019 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad_D View Post
    Same as a lot of people. Some of the last 17 and beyond. Never saw them as a kid. Got them as a adult, didn't like them, sold them. At least 8 of the 17 are almost like a different toy line to me.
    Just out of curiosity; which eight of the last seventeen felt like a different toy line to you; and why did they?
    "Evacuate? In our moment of triumpth? I think you overestimate their chances!"

Quote Originally Posted by Chad_D View Post
    Ah, I'm not the only one. I know when I finish my main set (almost there), I'll probably cave and start hunting them down, but I have zero nostalgia for them, aside from Anakin and one of the Ewoks. I actually didn't know for the longest time that they even existed, and I'm not sure why. When I was a kid, I had pretty much everything, figure-wise (I can count on unhand how many of the pre-last 17 I didn't have) and a fair amount of vehicles. I can't imagine I lost interest at the young age, especially with such a collection... Maybe they weren't well distributed? I have no clue.

Anakin is on my "must get" list, however, as I got him as a railway, so he fits into my "vintage" canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrooper1138 View Post
    Just out of curiosity; which eight of the last seventeen felt like a different toy line to you; and why did they?
    I had to look at a picture when i typed that to remember. A bunch if reasons. Yak face, couldn't place him in the movie for the longest time; Amanaman, same; barada, imperial gunner, luke storm trooper, Lando (there's only one Lando in my mind as a child), the tall brown robot. Their sulpt style maybe? R2, there's already two others.

They came along when I was into GI Joe and buying those so I didn't know the last wave was a thing until the early 90's.

Some are cool, like the in-scale carbonite. Not sure why I think the Awing pilot and Anakin fit in. And I distinctly remember a neighborhood kid having all the later ewoks so I always wanted them. Luke's lightsaber makes me want to keep him around.
    Last edited by Chad_D; 05-28-2019 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lando80 View Post
    Ah, I'm not the only one...Maybe they weren't well distributed? I have no clue.

Anakin is on my "must get" list, however, as I got him as a railway, so he fits into my "vintage" canon.

Were you into other toys? SW took a back seat to GI Joe for me later on.
    Last edited by Chad_D; 05-28-2019 at 08:43 AM.

The POTF Last 17 will always be amongst the most collectible as they were the last of the vintage lines. The card artwork and coins just adds to their desirability.

Never thought of it like this but Amanaman DEFINITELY didnt look Star Wars to me. I always kind of hated picking up Barada, Amanaman, and dignitary. Spending that much money on figures that weren't that cool to me was kind of a [vacuuming] part of the collection. Most of the rest were plenty cool enough to keep me engaged. Rancor Keeper and some other Jabbas Palace [vacuumed] as well but not as bad bcuz they were cheap AF

I never realized how few ROTJ vehicles I had, as well. Had pretty much every ANH and TESB vehicle and playset except the sandcrawler and one or two mini-rigs, but by the time Jedi hit, I was starting to get into Joe, He-Man, and the LJN D&D line, so I had to stretch my "please buy me" list out. Fortress of Fangs and GI Joe WHALE and HQ replaced Ewoks and B-Wings. Still had quite a few of the ROTJ figures but I think the speeder bike might have been the only vehicle I got from the line.

For some reason I really wanted the Forest Ranger mini-rig but never got it. I loved the mini-rigs, and that one had a very movie-like quality to it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast