Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What figures do you refuse to add to your collection?

It's too bad Droids didn't really catch on, but the mid-80's was owned by GI Joe, Transformers, He-Man, and all the other competing toylines. I loved the idea of Star Wars continuing as a kid, since I didn't think there would be any more films.

Last 17 figures at current prices that aren't primary characters. On a budget, I can't spring 150 to 350 bucks on a Yakface, ewoks or another Jabba stooge from the skiff battle. If money was no option, I might feel different. Love the Stormy Luke, Endor Luke and Pop-up R2 from this line though. Great figures from crucial characters.

Droids and ewoks figures. No interest at all.
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing"
    -Darth Vader

I can see where you're coming from...I never feel happy about buying anything other than my favorites...its almost like a dreary trudge filling in things like sensorscope Artoo (love pop up and solid dome just cant get excited about that one). Picking up hoth han, luke hoth, hoth soldier and commander are kind of blah...but leia hoth, hoth snowtrooper and 21B are fun to look at (so dont think I am just anti hoth) Most jabbas denizens are kind of boring to buy as well imo.

Never went so far as to say I wouldn't buy them, more like I HAD to buy them even though I wasnt super enthralled by them

Quote Originally Posted by toyman941 View Post
    None as far as the original line goes. I have them all. However I'm not going for Droids or ewoks lines. Never had any interest in these. The shows came out when I got into girls. The figures are very difficult to complete I would rather put that money towards something special like an early bird set.
    Because Droids and Ewoks aren’t special at all. We D&E fans have to put up with a lot of hate. Always have. But there are some of us who appreciate Star Wars in all its forms.
    Did you enjoy my little storm, Ewoks?”—Morag the Tulgah Witch

I wouldn't refuse to add a figure, I need them to complete my mint loose run.

But I am not looking forward to Yak Face, R2-D2 pop-up, and many of the other last 17, that is for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Tulgah View Post
    Because Droids and Ewoks aren’t special at all. We D&E fans have to put up with a lot of hate. Always have. But there are some of us who appreciate Star Wars in all its forms.
    I'm honestly surprised that a number of people dislike them, considering that they are indeed vintage Kenner Star Wars, so technically, if you're a completist - a proper Kenner collection will never be complete without them. I like both of the animated lines, but Ewoks remains my favorite because thats what I played with as a kid.

When it comes to refusing to add pieces to my collection, I dont exclude anything per say, but the price of an item is a factor. Just because I could shell out thousands for a certain item, I'll never actually do it. Action figures are a nostalgic slice of my youth, and the hobby of collecting them does bring happiness to many, but I feel I need to impose limits on it. If I were to spend hundreds or thousands on single items, it would feel more like an addiction. I'm all for people spending their money on whatever they please, but for me, I hold to that decision and limit how much I spend, and remind myself that these are, and will always be...toys.

Who said anything about cost? And I don’t need the trite “they’re just toys” newbie sermon.

Certainly, people only should spend what they can afford, and only on what they want to own. No one wants anyone to buy Droids and Ewoks. Just to appreciate them.
    Last edited by Tulgah; 05-23-2019 at 09:35 PM.
    Did you enjoy my little storm, Ewoks?”—Morag the Tulgah Witch

Quote Originally Posted by Tulgah View Post
    Who said anything about cost? And I don’t need the trite “they’re just toys” newbie sermon.

Certainly, people only should spend what they can afford, and only on what they want to own. No one wants anyone to buy Droids and Ewoks. Just to appreciate them.
    darth_sidious didn't mention anything about sentimentality, but someone did note the "I got into girls" trope that I can relate to (in the context of age in 1985), but would've worded more like "the childhood part of my toy-collecting ended" ...so that plays a part...

Cost also plays a part... it does, simply because I'm so "on the fence" with this...

but I can't deny the urge to get them into my collection because of their vintage feel (as darth_sidious DID note)... what is another deciding factor directly related to the positive aspect of their vintage feel/vintage optics/vintage legitimacy, is the unfortunate incompatibility of the stylized "animation" look that others have noted separates them from the rest of the line (except for Fett and the A-Wing Pilot figure).

The modern 6 inch Black Series figures deliberately avoids this deterrent by sculpting their animated characters in a more live-action way. I'd have preferred the Droids & Ewoks done that way, but you can't rewrite history
    Last edited by BosskHasManners; 05-24-2019 at 05:18 AM.

Don't have any issues with droids or ewoks, love the R2, but that is something to do later on, I guess.
    WTB: Foreign MOCs - Meccano, Harbert, PBP/Poch, Lili Ledy, Glasslite, Top Toys
    My feedback: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1102899/

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast