Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wishlist for Hasbro Retro Collection

Quote Originally Posted by KeepFrozen View Post
    I seriously doubt we ever see a slave Leia due to the today's pc climate. Also I wouldn't hold my breath for Droids/Ewoks figures since Disney doesn't even acknowledge that series as canon anymore. If you really want unproduced Droids, Mark Poon makes fantastic versions of these. Also, I would be shocked if they redid all 93 figures will all the peg warmers it would produce. I can see them cherry-picking some more desirable figures to produce though.

I also only see them making vintage style figures of major characters they know will sell. In other words, no obscure background characters. Yes, I know they made plenty of obscure figures in the original line, but they sold way more toys then than they do now. Just a few of these obscure figures they make that peg warms will probably kill the line altogether.
    I would have to agree on the obscure figures. I can remember , even back then there were plenty of those figures as peg warmers. It's only the collectors like us that wanted them to complete our collections. It's going to be a wait and see for me, but an early bird at Christmas time could be cool. They have already done this not too long ago, but this time with retro.
    F.S.C.M.E. Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

Forgot to mention the vintage prototype of Luke in robes, that would make for a great figure in the Retro lineup!

http://theswca.com/images-unpro/luke-in-robes.html

Quote Originally Posted by DarthPete View Post
    Ooo, Caravan of Courage and Battle for Endor. One vintage release I definitely wouldn't mind seeing them re-release is the Droids C3P-0.
    I am definitely down with Ewoks movie figures. And let’s throw in Holiday Special figures while we’re at it.

I think it would be a great idea for a Droids C3P-O to be modeled after the cartoon design but still maintain the original Droids toy colors (which were not entirely cartoon accurate) and maintain the removable limb feature. That way everyone can have a Droids C3P-O and the collectibility of the original is preserved.

If they never do Droids figures but were willing to do Holiday Special figures, they could release C3P-O as a Holiday Special figure, along with the rest of the crew in that animated style.
    Last edited by Faker; 04-30-2019 at 12:15 PM.

As of now; this line is a complete and total pass for me. Tarkin just wasn't enough to reel me in. There's just something about how it looks that I find strange and off-putting. That being said, I don't rule out the possibility that, if certain characters were made and I felt they more accurately captured the Kenner aesthetic; I would potentially grab a few; especially scum and villainy. Guys like Dr. Evazan, Garindan, Ephant Mon, Hermie Odle, Brock Starsher and the Ishi Tib from Jabba's palace would almost certainly demand my attention and be worthy of a purchase. But with character requests such as that; I'm mostly just fantasizing at this point.
    "Evacuate? In our moment of triumpth? I think you overestimate their chances!"

My biggest annoyance with Kenner, back in the 80s, was that they refused to update the action figures for key characters in the Star Wars saga. Characters like Darth Vader, Chewbacca, the Stormtrooper, and R2-D2 were looking painfully dated by 1984.

I've already mentioned an ROTJ-era resculpt of Darth Vader, with a removable helmet, but I would also love to see new "vintage" versions of Chewie, the Stormtrooper, and R2-D2 looking like they had been sculpted in 1984, not 1977. Maybe even a new sculpt of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda matching Anakin Skywalker's "ghost" colors.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split. - Robert E. Howard

Wish list:

That this line would go away.
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing"
    -Darth Vader

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    My biggest annoyance with Kenner, back in the 80s, was that they refused to update the action figures for key characters in the Star Wars saga. Characters like Darth Vader, Chewbacca, the Stormtrooper, and R2-D2 were looking painfully dated by 1984.

I've already mentioned an ROTJ-era resculpt of Darth Vader, with a removable helmet, but I would also love to see new "vintage" versions of Chewie, the Stormtrooper, and R2-D2 looking like they had been sculpted in 1984, not 1977. Maybe even a new sculpt of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda matching Anakin Skywalker's "ghost" colors.
    *points* What he said.

I completely disagree. I love that they only used certain figures once. Yeah, maybe a removable helmet Vader would be cool but only if it was done by retooling the original sculpt, kind of like the R2 and C3PO updates. I like that when I think about vintage Vader only one comes to mind. That was (is) one of my biggest issues w/ the modern line. Waaaaay too many versions of the same character.

Quote Originally Posted by Wtrailer View Post
    I completely disagree. I love that they only used certain figures once. Yeah, maybe a removable helmet Vader would be cool but only if it was done by retooling the original sculpt, kind of like the R2 and C3PO updates. I like that when I think about vintage Vader only one comes to mind. That was (is) one of my biggest issues w/ the modern line. Waaaaay too many versions of the same character.
    It's not as big of a deal now, when I can view the line through nostalgia-tinted glasses, but I was not satisfied at all with the 1977 sculpts for Vader, Chewie, the Stormtrooper and R2 when I was a kid. It was probably my biggest frustration with this line and I always felt that Kenner was lazy and/or cheap for not updating such key characters.

That's not to say I feel that way now or that the modern line doesn't suffer from too many versions of every character; but some kind of happy medium must exist. It doesn't need to be "one and done" or "a new sculpt every couple of years." Just a single update of those characters while the Kenner line was still new would have been nice.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split. - Robert E. Howard

It's not as big of a deal now, when I can view the line through nostalgia-tinted glasses, but I was not satisfied at all with the 1977 sculpts for Vader, Chewie, the Stormtrooper and R2 when I was a kid. It was probably my biggest frustration with this line and I always felt that Kenner was lazy and/or cheap for not updating such key characters.
    I never thought like this when I was a kid. I just accepted figures as being the plastic representation of the characters they were portraying without really evaluating their likeness. I just accepted it as fact that toys didn't 100% represent screen accuracy. Sure, Kenner's Darth Vader didn't quite look like Darth Vader from the movies. But Mattel's He-Man didn't look like He-Man from the cartoon and Hasbro's Optimus Prime didn't look like his cartoon self either. And now as an adult, I have nostalgia for the toy designs. I would love nothing more than modern 3 3/4" or 6" figures like Walrus Man, Greedo, Blue Snaggletooth, etc. based on their inaccurate vintage toy outfits.
    Last edited by Faker; 05-03-2019 at 06:03 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast