Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EFX's Darth Vader "Pyre" Helmet (Melted Helmet)

Heard something interesting about this, direct from EFX, responding to a question about how the EFX version compares to the previous Prop Shop release:

Our helmet is basically the same as the Prop Shop version, but it has a little more detail and the painting is closer to the actual screen used helmet.

We started with the same file as Prop Shop, but as you may know, in film production, they will change the prop slightly by adding more weathering, details etc.

So what we did was start the with same file but also scanned the actual screen used helmet and combined the 2 files together. Also, we had the extra paint details that was not on the original prop that Prop Shop made for the film.
    Certainly interesting. If I knew itd ship when its supposed to Id be really tempted. And if there wasnt the whole ongoing Scout Legend issue...
    "Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish." -Euripides

Quote Originally Posted by Jawa_Fong View Post
    I like this. But it is advertised a 3D printed. Ok,..... 3D printed material doesn't exactly lasts long from what I read? My friend actually held the Prop Shop one which is 3D printed and its pretty underwelming feeling really light.

It being light is fine with me. Just don't want to plonk 1.6 grand to know that the material will disintegrate in a couple years.
    Quote Originally Posted by BenObi_70 View Post
    Yep, that would be my big concern about ordering this item. Will the paint on 3D printed material hold up or will it start to flake off in time? Will the prop retain it's shape over time or become more deformed than it already is? Who knows. And it's a rather big gamble on an expensive prop like this.
    Does anyone have any more information on 3D decay? I too am interested in purchasing this, especially based on Jagjaguwar's info, but what chance is there that the helmet will crack or break down in the years to come? It's definitely something that needs to hold its value for MANY years if they are charging this much.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHTS_OF_SITH View Post
    Does anyone have any more information on 3D decay? I too am interested in purchasing this, especially based on Jagjaguwar's info, but what chance is there that the helmet will crack or break down in the years to come? It's definitely something that needs to hold its value for MANY years if they are charging this much.
    I'm sure eFX will quickly replace any units that become faulty.
    Always looking for more Yodas in great condition no matter the completeness! Also Amanaman's staff!!!!

NEVER REPOS! NEVER!

Quote Originally Posted by RediNight View Post
    I'm sure eFX will quickly replace any units that become faulty.
    If they are immediately faulty -- but the voiced concern is the longevity of 3D printing. If EFX is only producing as many units as ordered, if a few years from now your helmet gets a crack from just sitting on a shelf and breaking down, I don't think EFX will be able to do anything about it.

Does anyone have any experience buying 3D printed props? How have they aged?
    Last edited by KNIGHTS_OF_SITH; 06-06-2019 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHTS_OF_SITH View Post
    If they are immediately faulty -- but the voiced concern is the longevity of 3D printing. If EFX is only producing as many units as ordered, if a few years from now your helmet gets a crack from just sitting on a shelf and breaking down, I don't think EFX will be able to do anything about it.

Does anyone have any experience buying 3D printed props? How have they aged?
    They hold up well if after the process if they treated /lacquered. The few I have for 3 years show no signs of degradation.... Yet. A lot will determined as time goes by and the condition of how the are stored. In Alabama in a non climate storage facility I'm sure your mileage will vary
    Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 06-12-2019 at 10:51 AM.
    Avid SCI-FI collector, Props etc

https://i.imgur.com/WFu1ZOl.gif

Quote Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
    They hold up well if after the process if they treated /lacquered. The few I have for 3 years show no signs of degradation.... Yet. A lot will determined as time goes by and the condition of how the are stored. In Alabama in a non climate storage facility I'm sure your mileage will vary
    I live in Mobile, AL and there is no way I would put anything in storage that isn't climate controlled! And then, I'm still careful of what I put in there just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
    Thanks for the input!

I wish they'd post higher quality images on their site. The Propshop one was beyond expensive, but they did a good job of trying to justify the price with the images and video.
    Last edited by KNIGHTS_OF_SITH; 06-13-2019 at 03:26 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123