Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most Recent and Current Vintage Finds at Thrift Stores Super Ultra Mega Thread Post Spot

Quote Originally Posted by DJ121 View Post
    A lot of the "thrift stores" in my area run straight to ebay to check prices. Especially anything recognized as Star Wars. Goodwill stores are now supposed to send everything to the regional office, with their store information. It then gets listed on ebay, and the money is added to that stores sales. Occasionally, things still turn up on the floor, but it's usually missing so many parts it's not even worth buying. Modern items are near impossible to find parts for, and it's not worth the hassle. My wife used to work for a thrift store run by Cahtolic Charities. I bought a 2010 Vintage Collection B-Wing fighter. Had the damn thing for like 4 years now and have only been able to find ONE part for it.
    That's interesting. I didn't know that Goodwill was posting for sales on ebay. I wonder if some of the big ticket items that I've seen with high prices are gone a few days later because they were pulled and sent off to be sold on ebay. Hhhmmm do they have particular seller names that you aware of or are they operating under a generic hidden pseudonym so as to not attract to much attention? This was an interesting read I found:

https://www.countryliving.com/shoppi...l-a-nonprofit/

Quote Originally Posted by WampasGottaEat2 View Post
    That's interesting. I didn't know that Goodwill was posting for sales on ebay. I wonder if some of the big ticket items that I've seen with high prices are gone a few days later because they were pulled and sent off to be sold on ebay. Hhhmmm do they have particular seller names that you aware of or are they operating under a generic hidden pseudonym so as to not attract to much attention? This was an interesting read I found:

https://www.countryliving.com/shoppi...l-a-nonprofit/

I think it's a regional thing, and varies by area. For example, I live in Maine. The "Headquarters" for all Maine locations is in Portland, and known as Goodwill NNE which means Northern New England. They use the ebay seller name goodwill-maine.

Quote Originally Posted by x98lbwuss View Post
    I’m definitely not playing devils advocate (maybe a little) why is it ridiculous when something is “overpriced” but it’s amazing when someone picks up a complete at-at for $10? I mean isn’t that just as “bad” yet somehow it’s such a great thing when we are on the good end of the “rip off”. I mean people loose their mind when someone at a garage sale wants $50 a figure for a beater but if it’s $2 a figure bin and you pick up a minty blue snag because they don’t know what they have we are somehow a hero.
    Thrift shops, yard sales, and flea markets are about 99.9% garbage. We dig through all that crap to find a deal on the .1% that is actually treasure. Otherwise, why bother? Why dig through all that garbage on the hope that you might find something you want only to pay full market value or higher? I could just stay at home and buy stuff on ebay if I wanted to pay full market value.

I've found some great stuff at thrift shops, yard sales, and flea markets. But I have spent countless amount of time searching and finding nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Faker View Post
    Thrift shops, yard sales, and flea markets are about 99.9% garbage. We dig through all that crap to find a deal on the .1% that is actually treasure. Otherwise, why bother? Why dig through all that garbage on the hope that you might find something you want only to pay full market value or higher? I could just stay at home and buy stuff on ebay if I wanted to pay full market value.

I've found some great stuff at thrift shops, yard sales, and flea markets. But I have spent countless amount of time searching and finding nothing.

For me, the thrill of the hunt is what keeps me searching. But after that I also have a small side hustle that I flip thrift store finds for a profit and that business supports my vintage collecting hobby. Plus the wife enjoys that I'm not spending our paycheck on toys. hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by WampasGottaEat2 View Post
    Got a recent thrift store haul of vintage gold? Post it here!

I'll share my most recent one first. It doesn't happen often, but when it does I feel like I'm walking on a cloud when I find something at a thrift shop with a nice price tag on it. One of my local Goodwill's is notorious for overpricing anything vintage toy related. Case in point, they currently have a GI Joe Cobra Rattler Jet for $75 and its missing eeeeeeverything. I know very little about joes, but a quick ebay search tells me that's a little high. However, sometimes things slip through the cracks and make it out at thrift store prices. Just yesterday I found an original 1977 Kenner Sand People puzzle for $1.50. Not rare by any means, but vintage for under $5? I'll pay that all day long. It looks like most of the pieces are there, but I won't know until this weekend, when a couple of beers and a viewing of ESB coalesce into a harmonious night of nostalgic fun. My only other two vintage thrift store pick ups were a vintage Vader case for $5 (about 5 months ago) and a bag of mini rigs, snowspeeders, tauntauns and some random modern stuff for $30 (about 3 months ago). Like I said, it doesn't happen often, but when it does I feel like all my countless hours of hunting the shelves finally pay off. So what's your most recent thrifty find?
    looking at the first few posts in this thread, I gotta say this sounds like a waste of collecting hours unless you're finding other non-toy related stuff on a regular basis and are finding these things on your way out and not wasting more than a few seconds of glances. It sounds like paying someone to take their garbage and keep it in my house

Quote Originally Posted by aaronthebanker View Post
    looking at the first few posts in this thread, I gotta say this sounds like a waste of collecting hours unless you're finding other non-toy related stuff on a regular basis and are finding these things on your way out and not wasting more than a few seconds of glances. It sounds like paying someone to take their garbage and keep it in my house
    Yeah I flip other peoples "garbage" as a side hustle. Vintage toys are the bonus when I do find them. I don't need to flaunt monthly numbers I make flipping said "garbage", but it's worth my time.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronthebanker View Post
    Waste of collecting hours? I just love digging though other people's garbage, i usually go with my brother or a friend and we always enjoy ourselves. We build a relationship with the vendors, sometimes we find treasures and other times we just meet other collectors on the hunt for trendy trash. Sure, i could have spent those precious collecting hours by myself staring at a computer screen. It's just so much more fun to get outside, meet people and occasionally find a hidden gem.

Once E-bay became the definitive source for what anything is worth it basically ruined Flea Markets, Garage Sales, Antique Stores, Consignment shops, or Thrift Stores. You really don't get a great deal on much anymore. I've found auctions as your best bet. They may try to start them super high, but typically only get what those that are there are willing to pay. Now, that doesn't mean you always get stuff cheap, because I've seen carded original Kenner figures go for way more than they are worth, but you have a chance there.

I've sold everything from Shogun Warriors to American Girl dolls through my e-bay store and 99% of it comes from auctions.

Quote Originally Posted by keknivek View Post
    Once E-bay became the definitive source for what anything is worth it basically ruined Flea Markets, Garage Sales, Antique Stores, Consignment shops, or Thrift Stores. You really don't get a great deal on much anymore. I've found auctions as your best bet. They may try to start them super high, but typically only get what those that are there are willing to pay. Now, that doesn't mean you always get stuff cheap, because I've seen carded original Kenner figures go for way more than they are worth, but you have a chance there.

I've sold everything from Shogun Warriors to American Girl dolls through my e-bay store and 99% of it comes from auctions.
    Yeah I think the notion of the seller who doesn't know what they have (when it comes to vintage star wars) is pretty much dead. The only way to get a deal in this business is to be friends with a guy like me who habitually goes all in on collecting and wait for me to run into money problems and buy me out at about 60-70% Ebay value. The plus side is I only buy the very best when I start collecting so no garbage.

Everyone who's ever bought anything from me has definitely been the winner and I have always been the loser. And when I buy I pay over market for the very best when necessary so I lose on that end of the deal as well though it doesn't feel like it at the time.

p.s. that being said I got a complete molded face Luke at a place called the Toy Dept in Cincinnati Ohio for 110-130 (my memory is not exact so 130 would be the very highest) I remember this was about 100 less than Ebay listings at the time so I felt real good about his stuff. Amazingly he never seemed to get low on his inventory and everything was so stiff I was worried they were reconditioned somehow. Ridiculously tight joints on everything and priced on average probably 20% below Ebay listings. So if I ever lost my mind and decided to make the horrible decision of collecting again I would start there
    Last edited by aaronthebanker; 04-03-2019 at 12:56 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12