Thread: First experience with Collector Archive Services

First experience with Collector Archive Services

Last year I decided to get a figure graded just to go through the process and have my favorite figure put in a fancy sealed case. In November I bubble wrapped the figure, put him in a hard plastic case, bubble wrapped the hard plastic case and shipped it away. After 90 days I hadn't heard anything. Finally after 120 days my figure was graded and ready to come back.

You'll see in the photo below what I received back. The figures head was removed! I contacted CAS and their response was was that figure's head was not attached when they received it. If I shipped you something and it arrived broken wouldn't you contact me right away to see how to proceed? I guess they couldn't be bothered. If they would have contacted me I would have requested that they just glue it back on and put him in the case.

Pros of CAS:
    - Nice custom case with the now headless Ree-Yees
    - Quick responses when contacting CAS

Cons of CAS:
    - Broke figure didn't bother to contact
    - Marked archival on the form, got graded instead
    - Longer than 90 day turn around
    - Charged almost half the cost of grading on return shipping (not including insurance)

Ouch that stings. I know you gotta blow some steam off for sure, and I don't blame you one bit for that, but CAS is a pretty good company when it comes to these sort of things. I wonder what happened to the head between point A and point B if it was wrapped as good as you described it. Do these bootlegs have week neck connections that you are aware of? It still looks cool in my opinion. I doubt that the would have glued it back on and then proceeded with the grade as doing something like that could come back to haunt them. Are you happy with the grade? I guess there's no point in talking the should've would've could'ves though. Now its just the question of how to move forward with it. Like I said though, I still think it looks cool, but I can understand that it didn't come back meeting your expectations.

I think a little communication up front would have gone a long way. No communication about the damage or how they were going to handle it is a miss on their part.

Quote Originally Posted by WampasGottaEat2 View Post
    Do these bootlegs have week neck connections that you are aware of?
    These polish figures did have a gap where could see the neck post, maybe made it fragile if it was dropped...

Are you happy with the grade?
    I don't have an opinion either way on the grade. They graded it a 60 but it's a beat up figure so I knew it would grade low, hence trying to just get it authenticated/archived. Just a miss on their part of not being able to process what was on the form.

I wonder what happened to the head between point A and point B if it was wrapped as good as you described it.
    They returned the plastic case that he was bubble wrapped and put into. It is undamaged.