Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Things that drive you nuts?

And things I hate with cell phones. Robo calls. They just clog up your phone with missed calls. I don't want to talk with "Peggy" from Russia about some new life changing forum or pill. Or worse calls about funeral insurance. I got another birthday coming up I don't want to even think about, nor want to discuss stuff about senior things. Makes me sound and feel older than I should or want to be. And bad thing is, I'm not even a senior person yet.
    Last edited by r2d6kelly; 08-25-2019 at 10:23 AM.

Boomers and Gen Xers that don't know how their phone works and ask me to help them out. 9/10 I don't know how their android phone works either (I'm locked into the Apple ecosystem, and loving it), but all it takes is a minute or two to figure it out. Then I'll show them how to do it, and I get the classic,"I don't have time to learn, just do it for me."

You'd have more time if you just spent a couple of minutes playing around with your phone, instead of asking people to do it for you and getting mad when they can't do what you want exactly the way you want it.

I guess it's more just willing ignorance that bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by r2d6kelly View Post
    And things I hate with cell phones. Robo calls. They just clog up your phone with missed calls. I don't want to talk with "Peggy" from Russia about some new life changing forum or pill. Or worse calls about funeral insurance. I got another birthday coming up I don't want to even think about, nor want to discuss stuff about senior things. Makes me sound and feel older than I should or want to be. And bad thing is, I'm not even a senior person yet.
    Are you on the national "do not call" list? I know it's not useful for Peggy from Russia, but it should at least alleviate some of the U.S. ones.
    If I get a number I don't recognize, I don't answer it. If it's legit, they'll leave a message. Although sometimes numbers that you do have business or whatever with don't leave messages, you can at least begin to filter them out.
    I also always do an online search for the numbers. I block any that have been reported as telemarketers, possible scams, etc.
    I immediately block any number that doesn't have anything to do with me.
    Also, if you answer and it's a telemarketer or scammer, they will know you number/line is active.
    Finally......and this is a big one, DON'T answer if you get a "call" from your OWN NUMBER!!! This is a new scam that is going around where they do some kind of reverse call thing (forgot what it's called). It's just a new way for scammers to get you to answer your phone and make sure your line is active. This literally happened to me last week. I was like WTH!!!
    So, just manage the incoming calls carefully and you should be okay.
    MOC? We don't need no steenkin' cards!
    My Feedback

My thing for yesterday was that Amazon delivered my copy of Sacred Reich's new album Awakening. After a 23 year gap between albums, it was awesome to get some great thrash from one of my favorite bands from back then.
    The "gap" in release times is seamless with this album. Been playing it several times since Friday.
    MOC? We don't need no steenkin' cards!
    My Feedback

Oh I hardly ever answer the calls. And I block every number too, but I do occasionally get mad and will answer one of them. Especially when then call like 5 times in a row on same day. Then I yell at them. Besides lately the scammers have been cloning local phone numbers. I'd love to see all these scams to stop and be outlawed. It just clogs up the airways.

People that when it's raining harder and driving, feel the need to put their flashes on. It's like duh, I know it's raining hard. I can see you are only going 45 instead of the 90 you normally insanely drive. Trying to get home 2 minutes before everyone else does, and are willing to bump anyone out of the way to do it. But to put flashes on? Why,just why? This has just started going on around here in past couple of years and personally I find it stupid. Comment sense should prevail in certain weather driving situations. Snow, heavy rain or fog. Don't even want to discuss freezing rain. These drivers around here can't figure this one out at all.

Oh wait. I mentioned snow. Quick run to the store to buy up all the bread and milk. Even though it's a flurry and wouldn't cover an ant, still buy enough for next 3 years. Sometimes people's behavior makes my head hurt.

For a more lighthearted one: When I dole out accidental insults. The insults themselves aren't necessarily accidental because the people receiving them surely deserve them; it's them hearing them that's not intended. The best example happened several times at work. I have this one coworker who is just an absolute bonehead. He'll say things that either make your jaw drop or cause you to instinctively want to say, "What an idiot!" Unfortunately for me, on several occasions I haven't been able to hold my tongue. In meetings I've always had my phone on mute, but on direct calls with him, he almost always says or does really stupid things just as I'm hanging up the phone. On a few occasions, I thought he or I had hung up and I gave voice to what I was thinking. Unfortunately, he was still on the line and then asked me what I meant by it. I quickly came up with an excuse each time but it made me more cautious. What really got me to make sure my phone was hung up before saying stuff was the time I did it with my manager. To be fair, he was being an absolute idiot, but it took a lot of convincing to get him to believe that I was responding to something I'd seen on TV and was not actually calling him a ****ing idiot.

The other example is when I've honked or yelled at a really awful driver, only to find out it's someone I know. This happened most recently just a few days ago when I was on my way home. We have an intersection nearby that is notorious for how often people block it. There are big signs on both sides of the road instructing people to not block the intersection. I was waiting to turn when the light turned red. This car coming the other direction took forever rolling to a stop. They left just enough room for me to get through...then pulled forward the rest of the way blocking it entirely. I yelled and gestured at the guy before realizing it was an older couple we've literally known for decades. Thankfully we don't see them that often anymore so I won't have to explain why I called him what I did anytime soon.

I bought an item on eBay and the seller decided to require a signature confirmation upon delivery. I guess I can understand why they would do that, since it was a fairly pricey item, but it's just such a pain in the butt for someone who works a regular job. I live in an apartment by myself, so there is never anyone home when the mail guy arrives. Plus, I work out of town, so I am never actually in town when the post office is open. As a result, I ended up having to leave early from work just to pick up this package. Sure, it's a minor inconvenience, but with computer tracking and delivery confirmation, requiring a signature confirmation just feels like an unnecessary extra step.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split. - Robert E. Howard

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I bought an item on eBay and the seller decided to require a signature confirmation upon delivery. I guess I can understand why they would do that, since it was a fairly pricey item, but it's just such a pain in the butt for someone who works a regular job. I live in an apartment by myself, so there is never anyone home when the mail guy arrives. Plus, I work out of town, so I am never actually in town when the post office is open. As a result, I ended up having to leave early from work just to pick up this package. Sure, it's a minor inconvenience, but with computer tracking and delivery confirmation, requiring a signature confirmation just feels like an unnecessary extra step.
    At least it wasn't left at your door and somebody takes it. That's no fun.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast