Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Things that drive you nuts?

Quote Originally Posted by ThallJoben View Post
    This is exactly why I never depend on anyone; most people out there are *****h@#@s. Screw them.
    This has been a crazy week for people expecting favors and being extremely ungrateful. Most of it's been the same person. My daughter's one friend spends so much time with her--especially over the summer--that people have asked us if we adopted. We take her just about everywhere with us and we're who she calls if her mom fails to pick her up or can't/refuses to take her somewhere, which is quite often. Her mom never has a problem with us taking her places in those instances, but she'll frequently tell her at the last second that she can't go someplace fun with us. She's implied that it's because she doesn't approve of how "lenient" I am. I'm not, really, but I'm not insanely overbearing like she is, so there's some conflict in our priorities.

Anyway, I was supposed take the girls out earlier this week. We'd been planning it for quite a while and the mother had approved. As I was driving over to pick the friend up, she told her she wasn't allowed to go. The next day, the girls had a volunteer project they were working on. It was an hour away. After taking them to breakfast, I drove the girls to their project in the morning with the understanding that the mother would pick them up that night. About five minutes before I would have to leave to get them, my daughter texted me to say that her friend's mom refused to pick them up. I went and got them, took them to dinner (they only provided lunch during the project and the friend had no food in the house), then took the friend home. The mom was conveniently out of the house when we got there.

The next night I got a text from the friend. She'd been at a school event a little over half an hour away but it had ended 30-45 minutes earlier. Her mom wasn't responding to her calls and texts. I ran out and picked her up then got her dinner again (still no food at the house). On the way back her mom called, said she was at work and then yelled at her for calling me for a ride. This is far from the first time something like this happened.

Yesterday the girls had practice. I said I'd take them and was planning on picking them up early so they could have lunch first. We were literally less than a minute from their house when the friend texted my daughter and asked us to not pick her up yet because her mom had come home from lunch and had changed her mind about her being allowed to go out to lunch with us. She still expected us to take her to practice but we weren't allowed to take her to lunch beforehand. We drove around for another 20 minutes then picked her up. The practice was far enough away that it was stupid and impractical to go to lunch, come back for the friend, then try to make it to practice on time. The mother had insisted on picking them up from practice, texting, "I don't want you riding home with that man!" Twenty minutes before practice ended, my daughter texted and asked me to pick them up because something had come up and the mother couldn't get them. Like usual, she told the girls to call me for a ride.

All in all, I've spent 6-7 hours driving the friend around this week, not counting the time spent preparing for the aborted plans and the pointless drive to their house, or the meals I bought her. I'm still waiting for the thank you note from the mom.

Quote Originally Posted by jedisquared View Post
    The whole driving with a cell phone in your lap thing...there’s not enough law enforcement anywhere to enforce the law. Where’s Dredd when you need him. Robocop maybe?
    Agreed. Driving while talking (or texting) on your cellphone is a serious issue. No one should do this, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by RomanXKnight View Post
    I really have no idea what causes them to open up like this, especially because, once they get rolling, I tend to just zone out, nod and give the occasional "uh-huh." Kind of like when I'm talking to the wife. Which could explain it.
    LOL!

As far as over-sharers go, I've had that happen occasionally. However, someone I know has it happen to her all the time. One of the funniest stories she told was when she was in a restaurant with her family, and, for no reason whatsoever - one of the cooks came from out of the back & told her in detail about the bad hangover headache he had, given that he had drunk too much the night before - Hilarious! And, talk about inappropriate - ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by RomanXKnight View Post
    All in all, I've spent 6-7 hours driving the friend around this week, not counting the time spent preparing for the aborted plans and the pointless drive to their house, or the meals I bought her. I'm still waiting for the thank you note from the mom.
    I'm sure you've already figured this out, but this mother is definitely taking advantage of your good nature. And, not only doesn't she appreciate your help (even though this is all a huge inconvenience to you), but - to add insult to injury - she's badmouthing you as a result. In essence, she sounds like an ungrateful $#%#@.
    Last edited by ThallJoben; 07-16-2019 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThallJoben View Post
    I'm sure you've already figured this out, but this mother is definitely taking advantage of your good nature. And, not only doesn't she appreciate your help (even though this is all a huge inconvenience to you), but - to add insult to injury - she's badmouthing you as a result. In essence, she sounds like an ungrateful $#%#@.
    Yeah, but dealing with her is like walking a tightrope. It's annoying but do I want to upset her to the point that she cuts her daughter off from ours? She'll occasionally help with the driving when we're in a real pinch, so I'm grateful for those (rare) occasions. Plus, we've grown pretty close to the daughter over the last few years and she tells me regularly what a positive influence I've had on her, so I'd feel bad if we were cut off from her and she'd be left to fend for herself in certain situations.

I will say that, when it comes to parenting issues, I can't comprehend the parents who seemingly hate being parents. It's not a walk in the park. The good times are great, but they're just a small part of being a parent. I've dealt with some truly horrible things as a parent. I've also had to lose sleep and drive and/or sit for hours just to see my kid compete, sometimes for as little as thirty seconds, or put in long hours of volunteering just to ensure they get to participate. I know plenty of parents who flat out won't do that. They then complain incessantly about the prospect of having to be involved with something like that. But they also complain about the sorry state of their relationships with their kids. It might be difficult at times, but if you want the good, you have to take the bad as well. I wouldn't trade any of it.

the reason she doesn't like you: you are making her look bad, re: "parenting".
    you are shining a light on her parenting skills -- every time you feed her child a hamburger, it makes HER look like a 'bad mother'.
    --> her attitude towards you is a defense mechanism. don't take it personally.
    Last edited by Cobalt60; 07-18-2019 at 10:37 AM.
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt60 View Post
    the reason she doesn't like you: you are making her look bad, re: "parenting".
    you are shining a light on her parenting skills -- every time you feed her child a hamburger, it makes HER look like a 'bad mother'.
    --> her attitude towards you is a defense mechanism. don't take it personally.
    I think that's a big part of it. I don't take it personally; I just get annoyed when plans fall through, when she does something really egregious or when I'm having to fill the mom role for someone else's kid (and I'll just say there are specific issues that ideally should be mom-handled as opposed to dad-handled, and especially not someone else's dad-handled). What's funny is that I know lots of people who think she's a wonderful mother. However, those people only see how she acts with her son. She fawns over the son and doesn't miss a single thing he does, and he's her go-to excuse for missing the daughter's things ("Sorry, I can't take you to or show up for championships because Ben has to sit on the bench at his game in two days so I have to take him out and buy him snacks and Gatorade"). These folks also see what a great kid she is and automatically attribute it to her mom being a great mother.

I will say that my wife gets a lot more upset over the situation than I do, but she's more upset over the fact that I have to sacrifice my time, etc. to help out (I'm almost invariably the one dealing with these things). Personally, though, whether it's this kid or one of their other friends/teammates, I can't stand by and not at least try to help out when they're in a bad or troubling situation. I've had people do that to my kids and it infuriated me. I'd much rather drive an extra 30-40 minutes, pay a few dollars extra at Burger King, or lose an extra 30 minutes of sleep if it means one of these kids doesn't get left behind, misses out or goes without a meal.

On one day 90 degrees and feels like 105. Then with one woosh of wind goes to 70. Hello weather it's July, should be hot.
    Last edited by r2d6kelly; 07-22-2019 at 09:23 PM.

Unearned bad reputations. I've been fighting the idea that I call in all the time for pretty much my entire career. Years ago I was in an accident (not my fault) that caused me to miss a week of work. Not long after that, I had a life-threatening illness (literally) and my doctor insisted I take a full week off. I worked Monday-Wednesday at the time and with the initial days I called in and the time my doctor ordered me to take off, I missed two consecutive three-day shifts, so I was technically "out" for 18 days in a row. Aside from that, I called in a total of about two times the rest of the seven years I was under that manager. I thought I had the rep kicked but then, two managers later, I got it again in 2003 when one of my daughters was born. I called in one more time under that manager (over three years), but she not only insisted I was habitually sick, she told my new manager the same when she retired. In the five years he was my manager, I took off a week for an operation, then called in three times total the remainder of the time. When he left, just like the previous manager, he told his replacement that I had an attendance problem. I took off a single three-day stretch in 2012, which is the last time I used a sick day. I did use two vacation days over a three year span when we were getting bonuses for not calling in sick, but haven't called in sick outside of that. All told, I've used fewer than ten sick days in the last sixteen years and not a single one in over seven years. I currently have three team members who have used twelve or more sick days this year and two more who have used ten. Everyone else on the team has used 1-8 sick days this year, not counting the one who has over two dozen, although a lot of hers are due to calamities and natural disasters that were mostly outside her control. Despite that, in our last team meeting, our new manager singled me out as someone she was told calls in sick all the time. I didn't have the time to argue with her but I told her to be sure to check my attendance record before our one-on-one.

When your phone decides after at least 3 years of pictures sent to you by text decides to delete itself for no reason. So all the pics of pets being cute and holiday stuff. Gone. Just hope Mrs. still has them. Because two of three pets are also gone too sadly, so can't replace pics. I hate these wonderful inventions at times.

Quote Originally Posted by r2d6kelly View Post
    When your phone decides after at least 3 years of pictures sent to you by text decides to delete itself for no reason. So all the pics of pets being cute and holiday stuff. Gone. Just hope Mrs. still has them. Because two of three pets are also gone too sadly, so can't replace pics. I hate these wonderful inventions at times.
    Cell phones are awesome and also THE WORST sometimes. My camera seems to randomly take blurry or just awful pictures, and then other times it's just fine. Also, battery life is a real kick in the teeth. I've had 3 different phones in the last 5 years because the battery just goes down hill so fast or just won't keep a charge. Is buying a new battery even a thing anymore for cell phones?
    "The Marvel and Transformers team must share a lunch table.
    Star Wars must have sat with GI Joe team." ~ indysolo007

http://starwarslists.blogspot.com/

Yes it is. There's a place called batteries plus. I think they carry about every size battery known to man. Or can order it.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast