Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What can a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?

What can a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?

I'm trying to look for something that was never researched until the era of the New Republic like kyber crystals weren't until the Empire used them for a superlaser and even then, they had been used in weapons formation in the past. I'm looking for something that presumably hasn't been thought of in the 25,000 years of time where almost everything has already been done.

Clarketech or technobabble is acceptable as long as itís not incomprehensible and it CANNOT be

-Time travel

-Teleportation

-Matter replication

-Pico Or Femtotechnology

Those ideas I donít want. The Empire was working on lasers that can punch through deflector shields, ways to control droids and ship scale disintegrator so those ideas are taken as well.

What about:

Artificial intelligence that can self-replicate
    Ships that use their exhaust heat to re-fuel themselves
    Ships that can go in outer space and underwater
    Personal energy shields that collect blasts they're hit with and use them to power your own rifle
    A shield that can protect you from the Force (tech equivalent of the Ysalamari)
    UPDATED! Check out my handy worksheet, listing every 1/18th release from 1978 till now
    Easily filtered on source, line, type, product, character name, species and category. Updated till 10-7-2018
    http://www.filedropper.com/rushiesrebelscumfile

My Star Wars story will now involve a scientist who is studying the ancient servers of the Holonet. As he learns about its beginnings, he thinks of ways he can make the Holonet better for everyone. What improvements can he make to the Holonet?

Perhaps something to do with the 'dark net' and how to contain that without invading the privacy of normal consumers? Crime's rampant in the SW universe, imagine slave networks and assassination guilds freely communicating on-line, away from prying Imperial eyes.
    UPDATED! Check out my handy worksheet, listing every 1/18th release from 1978 till now
    Easily filtered on source, line, type, product, character name, species and category. Updated till 10-7-2018
    http://www.filedropper.com/rushiesrebelscumfile

Iím going about this all wrong when it comes to asking what idea I want. Iím looking for a science thing that my scientist could study. On Steven Jackson games forum, someone suggested the migration patterns of Purgills. It would have been perfect except for the fact that it might lead someone to Ezra and Thrawn. That story will be told in the future. I want something unique but also a science that my scientist can study as his main work. Not an invention.

Environmental Study - to determine if the use of hyperspace engines causes detrimental effects on the galactic 'environment' of the region.

(observation: in rare circumstances, starships have been known to 'disappear' from hyperspace;
    sometimes appearing on the other side of the galaxy; sometimes disappearing altogether, like the Bermuda Triangle).

(hypothesis: too many hyperspace jumps in one specific region of space can cause random/temporary "wormholes" to form (aka: hyperspace "fractures");
    the scientist conducts experiments to prove/disprove this hypothesis)

character motivation: the scientist has lost family members to this phenomenon, and is personally motivated to study this effect.
    Last edited by Cobalt60; 03-13-2019 at 02:45 PM.
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenousEwok View Post
    My Star Wars story will now involve a scientist who is studying the ancient servers of the Holonet. As he learns about its beginnings, he thinks of ways he can make the Holonet better for everyone. What improvements can he make to the Holonet?
    create a "compression algorithm" to allow more data to be sent at once :
    this improves the 'quality' of the holo-image on the receiving end of the transmission....
    ....and, taken to an extreme, allows for solid/interactive 'holograms' such as the doctor in ST:Voyager.

(observation: Luke Skywalker did the same thing using "the Force" in TLJ).
    (hypothesis: increasing the data transfer rate of the holonet by 1000x (or more), will allow this same effect to be accomplished with technology -- it will allow for realistic/convincing "projections" of actual people, to appear at great distances -- using a "compression algorithm" will increase the data transfer rate WITHOUT upgrading the existing infrastructure of the holonet -- ie: it's a "software solution" NOT a "hardware solution")

character motivation: the scientist has lost family members to a random/temporary "wormhole" (aka hyperspace Fracture), analogous to the "Bermuda Triangle" ((see above)) LOL
    --> his family members have been located on the other side of the galaxy and he wants to create better ways of communicating at great distances.
    (example: he wants to "hold" his daughter again, even if it's just a realistic/convincing "projection" of a solid/interactive 'hologram' such as the doctor in ST:Voyager)

these improvements to the holonet will allow for the proverbial "human touch" to be transmitted across great distances -- it allows people to physically interact with holograms on the other side of the galaxy -- aka "hug". (and/or: punch 'em in the jaw).
    Last edited by Cobalt60; 03-13-2019 at 02:51 PM.
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenousEwok View Post
    I'm looking for something that presumably hasn't been thought of in the 25,000 years of time where almost everything has already been done.
    Safety rails.
    Project "Ghost Stories" - Building Star Wars: Rebels Playsets: https://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1140437

Quote Originally Posted by SpectreOne View Post
    Safety rails.
    ^^ thread win.

Someone on writingforums.org knocked some sense into me. The Star Wars galaxy has had 1,000’s of years to develop stuff so all science left to do is theoretical or observational. I’m going to have him study asteroids. Thanks for putting up with me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast