Thread: Repro Tie Fighter Decal Question...

Repro Tie Fighter Decal Question...

Hi guys,
    Is there an easy way to detect reproduction decals on the original Tie Fighter wings? There's a Tie Fighter for sale locally but the decals look like they were put on yesterday. Am I correct in saying that legit decals should have a paper feel to them? Thanks!
    Jeff

Man stickers can be tough. Usually the details are the give away. If the lines are crisp and clean that can sometimes indicate a repro. However, a lot of people making repros are scanning the original sticker sheets and that can sometimes leave them looking more pixelated and less crisp. I would say to look along the corners of the stickers and see if there is any hint of them peeling up. Most all of the TIEs I've seen have at least a sliver were the edge has worked up from being nearly 40 years old. If so, look for some yellowing under the peeled up part. If it's yellow it's old.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabba_no_botha View Post
    Hi guys,
    Is there an easy way to detect reproduction decals on the original Tie Fighter wings? There's a Tie Fighter for sale locally but the decals look like they were put on yesterday. Am I correct in saying that legit decals should have a paper feel to them? Thanks!
    Jeff
    I just looked at my Tie Fighter and, they do have a bit of paper feel and some shine. Sometimes it's tough to tell, I would like for irregularities on the edges if they were cut out replacements. The die cut stickers are a lot harder to detect. I'm no expert though.