Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cantina

The alcove is amazing! Great idea to use the wood you won’t regret it. The custom figures are great. Keep the updates coming.

Thank you for all the kind comments! Here are some shots of a few of the custom cantina patrons...

Rycard uses the pea sized head of VOTC Obi Wan. Small as he is, he's fully articulated. Yellow spacer guy (near Leesub in the film) uses a GI Joe Blowtorch for his arms and another Joe for the chest box.

Merc Sunlet makes use of a Rebel Fleet Trooper head while Debnoli steals his noggin from Ric Olie. Watery black paint gives the stubble look. The robe was fabric carefully striped by hand.

Tzvzzzzitzzz ... zzz....z...or...whatever his name is...has a Rebel Technician body and a head based on a Pablo Jill. I never saw a Legacy Hrchek kal Fas so I made one.

And an awkward encounter with Platoon leader Sgt. Barnes....

Swilla could use some eye makeup, she has a Vintage Collection Zam head and Baroness boots.

Last edited by yodashizzle; 02-25-2019 at 01:59 PM.
    " what is to gain by partaking in a thread that does not concern/interest you. Say I pass and move on it's that simple" MasterFett-Bastila Shan thread-2-14-11

Some of the materials used to build the cantina....

A Dremel is essential. Also, you don't need to have a giant workshop and tons of expensive equipment to work with wood. A Dremel Saw Max will get the cuts you need done. And for curves, I use a drill bit and steady hand.

I use a lot of glue. Plain ol' Elmer's glue is great. And for superglue, Loctite Professional Liquid is my go-to-glue.
    Last edited by yodashizzle; 02-25-2019 at 01:48 PM.
    " what is to gain by partaking in a thread that does not concern/interest you. Say I pass and move on it's that simple" MasterFett-Bastila Shan thread-2-14-11

I wanted to post some pics of the initial paint job, I think it's something that I'm worried about enough that if I need to, some constructive criticism will keep me from wasting time and effort going forward with more painting.

I think the color is maybe too light of a yellow.
    Last edited by yodashizzle; 02-27-2019 at 12:15 PM.

Made some progress on the entrance. Made the droid detector and tall lamp, still need to make the three chairs.

Also made a power box for the wall to go in the alcove behind where Kitik is standing.

Last edited by yodashizzle; 03-05-2019 at 12:20 PM.

This is amazing. Great work!

Very nice job! Just a suggestion: About the paint, you could put a little more golden brown, maybe sienna (light), so it could look more aged....,also, use the same technick but add dark brown or black (not much) in the areas where the "patrons" would usually put/pass the hands/claws/whatever they have so it looks more dirty and used.
    "Ke nu'jurkadir sha mando'ade"

Would you be able to share how you created those stucco-like walls? I am in absolute awe, here. This looks really fantastic!

Thank you HolidaySpecial, Litofett, and Spooked! For the stucco effect, I've been using DAP Platinum Patch. A little more expensive than regular but worth it. Also using shelfliner for the ribbing of arch undersides. Here's the products...

I put hinges on the back wall so it lifts. Makes it possible to get camera shots from inside the alcove looking out at the main bar area.

I've settled on a color and weathering that works for me. Finally. Also started working on the benches. MAN THESE ARE A PAIN!!! I know there are some nice casts folks have done and I've been tempted to buy some but am still going to grind them out.

Used different wood trim pieces for this rough assembly, still need to attach seat backing (will try more of the ribbed shelfliner) and paint.

I'm going to revise the tables. There's a lot of revision necessary, that's one thing I've learned. I'll tackle some element then realize how inaccurate it is and go back and work on it some more. Been planting tomatoes/ veggies/ herbs which has cut into dio time too but more to come!
    Last edited by yodashizzle; 03-19-2019 at 03:41 PM.

You’re right about revising! Your stuff is great. I really love the figures, especially the Hrchek Kal Fas!
    Did you enjoy my little storm, Ewoks?”—Morag the Tulgah Witch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast