Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kenner Values Affected by the Hasbro Retro Repros?

Kenner Values Affected by the Hasbro Retro Repros?

This is a broad value serious question: Do you think the 6 figures Hasbro announced in their upcoming Exclusive Target Retro Line affect the values of the same 6 Original Kenner carded and/or loose figures & weapons?
    I hope HASBRO finishes the original 92+ on the Vintage Collection Cards...(approx. 34 needed to complete it, depending on your certain point of view.)

Hard to see how it won't. The weapons especially if the Retro's are exact matches for the originals. Really hope that is not the case. There should be some way to distinguish between the original and retro for everyone's benefit. Not sure Hasbro cares about that unfortunately.

If the TVC Kenner style Rocket Firing Boba Fett is anything to go by with these, then no. They should have zero impact on the vintage figures. The Imperial blaster that came with that Boba Fett is easy to tell apart from a vintage blaster. It's smaller, has softer details and made from a rubbery like plastic. It has a very noticeable texture on the blaster as well that the vintage blasters don't have. Look at Rebelscum's own review of that Boba, http://www.rebelscum.com/TVCexBobaFettRocket.asp
    Need Eight TVC VC 65 TIE Fighter Pilot cardbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by speederfan View Post
    Hard to see how it won't. The weapons especially if the Retro's are exact matches for the originals. Really hope that is not the case. There should be some way to distinguish between the original and retro for everyone's benefit. Not sure Hasbro cares about that unfortunately.
    The Toy Fair Kenner article states these figures are new sculpts of the vintage figures and slightly bigger. I feel that any collector who truly wants the original vintage figures in their collections, like myself, will continue to hunt for these vintage treasures and pay appropiately for them...
    Last edited by bespin_boy; 02-17-2019 at 01:28 AM.

Bespin, my thinking is the pool of potential buyers for original items will shrink as many go for the cheaper alternative. I agree that for many, the vintage stuff will remain the only game in town. I guess the question is how many buyers of the new stuff would've ever bought original anyway? I'm not sure.

I honestly don't care. The market has been out of control for awhile, so anything that brings it down a bit is fine by me as I don't have these MOC. Plus, the retro sticker is right there and I expect the Disney date on the figures. Honestly, people getting their panties tied in a knot over this need to chill out. We are finally getting a Tarkin, an affordable Skiff plus a new Jabba's playset. I am all for this. My biggest compliant if it is one is that Han in Stormtrooper be retro style with a better background photo instead of whatever the hell they are currently doing.
    Last edited by lotjx; 02-17-2019 at 09:24 AM.

When they started re releasing Mego figures like Star Trek and Apes back in the mid 2000s The secondary market took a hit for sure. But we did get some new Trek characters like Khan. Those repro acessories are top notch and super close to the originals. Yet with the collector in mind, there are enough "tells" for a collector to spot a repro. Same case here. There are so many reasons that this is a good idea and very few reasons that it's not. Truly look at the scenario and greed is the common denominator. For Hasbro it's a cash grab for sure. For collectors it's going to hurt the value of my investment. Believe me I have been into collecting all manor of things since the 80s. The baseball house of cards crumbled.The comic market had taken an extreme plunge in the 90s. Hell how many of you are sitting on duplicates if MOC Potf stuff that sells for a buck a pop at yard sales? A word of advice that had been given to me way back when I used to work at a comic store... BUY WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY AND IF IT TRULY DOES THE PRICE YOU PAID FOR IT WILL NOT MATTER.I have paid more than my fair share for my vintage collection. I collect mainly loose any have even ripped Potf last 17 figures from decent cards to get minty figures at a premium. Collectibles are fickle and riskier than stocks as an investment. Just ask anyone with a collection of Beanie Babies. Just know what you are getting into from the get go.
    Me, I am going to buy all of these because I like them. Plain and simple.
    Last edited by Lobotscomb; 02-17-2019 at 10:20 AM.

I'm liking these different perspectives, and I imagine Hasbro had several discussions about the positive & negative ramifications of this decision. Making the figures from new molds, plastics and sizes as well as making the cards noticeably repros, sets me at ease knowing these figures and cards will be hard to swap out or pass off as originals.

When I got back into collecting around 2004-2006 with the OTC and ROTS figures after stopping in 1984, I found Custom carded vintage figures on ebay and bought a few because they were a cheap option that was obvious to any novice collector they are "re-cards", but looked nice on display. Then I stopped buying them because I figured, if I'm gonna spend money on stuff like this, I want & love authentic pieces. So, I think this might get some casual Star Wars fans interested in collecting like a gateway.
    I hope HASBRO finishes the original 92+ on the Vintage Collection Cards...(approx. 34 needed to complete it, depending on your certain point of view.)

From Hasboro's perspective, I can't really blame them for tapping into a huge market. They see the demand for the older stuff, but they don't benefit a bit from the huge aftermarket and the explosion in prices. They've already made the money they were going to make(as Kenner) when production stopped in mid 80's. I would like to hear from some old Kenner guys that were in The Toys that Made Us and hear what they think.

Also this is the direct result of companies like vadertrader making more money off their sandtroopers and fleet troopers than they. Made with the last wave of vintage collection snokes and jyn ursos

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast