Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kenner Values Affected by the Hasbro Retro Repros?

I'm thrilled by the line, but highly doubt it will impact secondary market prices for authentic vintage. We've seen a number of licensed replicas over the years including the '95 Classic Edition 4-pack, '05 Early Bird envelope and TVC rocket firing Fett. The one common thing that all of these items share is that upon Hasbro announcing they would release them, some collectors freaked out and started worrying about how they would impact prices for their authentic vintage counterparts. None of them ever made a ripple in secondary market prices, so I'm very doubtful these will be any different.
    "You just watch yourself, we're wanted men! I have the death sentence on twelve systems!"

Quote Originally Posted by speederfan View Post
    Hard to see how it won't. The weapons especially if the Retro's are exact matches for the originals. Really hope that is not the case. There should be some way to distinguish between the original and retro for everyone's benefit. Not sure Hasbro cares about that unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by bespin_boy View Post
    The Toy Fair Kenner article states these figures are new sculpts of the vintage figures and slightly bigger. I feel that any collector who truly wants the original vintage figures in their collections, like myself, will continue to hunt for these vintage treasures and pay appropiately for them...
    Due to Hasbro re-sculpting these, and them being slightly bigger, it's going to be very easy to tell them apart from Vintage. No doubt there is also going to be new copyright and trademark info on the figure as well. The image shown for the Leia figure has a similar looking blaster, but has new detail sculpted. And I'm sure the weapons will all be made form the softer, more rubbery plastic they have been using for weapons over the last several years.

It's hard to speculate how and if these will affect prices of the true Kenner figures. It's probably not going to drop prices all that much. It's just going to keep the "casual" collector happy because they can get a "Vintage" Leia for only $10, instead of paying much higher prices.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ121 View Post
    It's hard to speculate how and if these will affect prices of the true Kenner figures. It's probably not going to drop prices all that much. It's just going to keep the "casual" collector happy because they can get a "Vintage" Leia for only $10, instead of paying much higher prices.
    Agreed. If anything, I think this re-release has the potential to renew general interest in the vintage line. Everyone knows what happens to vintage prices when new buyers enter the market.

I'm on record here already by stating I own the justice League mego retros. So I do fully agree that people showing interest in the retro line for the price. I bought all 7 for less than 200 bucks. This set in true vintage would have been closer to 2000. And that would be for decent shape and possibly missing accessories. They are fine for me to have as vintage look a likes. That being saic, I do have the 4 original mego Kiss figures. Didn't buy the retros. I guess it just depends on the individual collectors. IF they re1release all of the star wars original figures, it would end up costing shy of 1000 excluding taxes. It would cost almost the same for 3 of the last 17. You can buy all of the first 12 for less than 150. You can't buy even 1 of the first 12 for that in the 12 back cards.

This will spark interested buying for sure. Just not sure how many, and also, how many peg warmers will we see.
    F.S.C.M.E. Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

I'm not worried. Maybe people will open less old MOCs. hopefully.
    WTB: Foreign MOCs - Meccano, Harbert, PBP/Poch, Lili Ledy, Glasslite, Top Toys
    My feedback: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1102899/

In the short term, sure values will be affected to some degree. In the long run (2+ years) , no real significant affect on values of vintage. Vintage endures , always imitated .... but never duplicated.
    "It is better to light a small candle then to curse the darkness" ~Confucius
    WTB:any ESB Rebel Soldier Proof card
    Refining my broken English to proper English, *cuz John A. said so

Well, another way to look at this can be, if the values are effected , that means prices go down? Good, I can buy some more pieces.
    F.S.C.M.E. Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123