Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kenner Values Affected by the Hasbro Retro Repros?

I think it’s a smart move on Hasbro’s part. I’m always astounded by the number of new / young Star Wars fans who become collectors AND who focus on vintage collecting... Putting out vintage-style figures for $13 bucks a pop affords our new & younger generation collectors accessibility to something they love too... Yes it puts more cash into Hasbro’s pocket but I’m just not following what’s wrong with this... I’ve been reading the other forums on this topic and although I do feel that everyone is entitled to their opinions, this seems very trivial to me. Collecting is about love. Investing is about profit. Like so many others, I collect vintage SW toys for love so I’m less concerned about investor opinions. That’s the thing about investing, there are ups-and-downs and values will vary! I don’t see anything wrong with this move on Hasbro’s part and I will be buying these figures. I have the vintage rocket-firing Boba Fett and can definitely see the differences between the new sculpt and vintage versions...

I just discovered Vadertrader! A Sandtrooper 4-Pack?!?! Also the Jabba Throne Room for vintage Jabba! Where the heck did these come from?!?!

Let's face it. Right now, these are pretty much all common figures anyway. Yes, leia and luke have climbed in value a little bit, but not too extreme like some of the other figures. I don't see much of a change.

If it affects any market, my guess would be the moc collectors . Instead of 1000. Or more, I can get a pretty nice authentic look a like for 10.00
    F.S.C.M.E. Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

Bespin boy it's not the fact that Hasbro is making a buck, its that they are not doing it out of love or for the fans. Otherwise we would have had these since the 90s. They put out that toys r us 4 pack that sold like dog poo only because it was 50 bucks for four figures. And at that time Potf2 Figs were all the rage. If they had released those carded we might have gotten more... Seems Hasbro is desperate and throwing things at the wall and hoping something sticks.
    Last edited by Lobotscomb; 02-18-2019 at 05:42 PM.

As I stated in another thread, I hope these absolutely decimate the vintage Star Wars market. Speculators who thought they were going to swoop in, get rich, and retire off Star Wars toys destroyed the market by driving up prices to unbelievable heights for toys that number in the millions. If these retro figures can undo even some of that damage and get prices down, I'm all for it. I gave up on the vintage market over 2 years ago because of all the chicanery and nonsense going on. Hopefully things will eventually return to a more reasonable state.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah2849 View Post
    As I stated in another thread, I hope these absolutely decimate the vintage Star Wars market. Speculators who thought they were going to swoop in, get rich, and retire off Star Wars toys destroyed the market by driving up prices to unbelievable heights for toys that number in the millions. If these retro figures can undo even some of that damage and get prices down, I'm all for it. I gave up on the vintage market over 2 years ago because of all the chicanery and nonsense going on. Hopefully things will eventually return to a more reasonable state.
    heck, I would be happy to see the prices go down to the Mark Bellomo price guide.
    F.S.C.M.E. Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

Quote Originally Posted by Lobotscomb View Post
    Bespin boy it's not the fact that Hasbro is making a buck, its that they are not doing it out of love or for the fans. Otherwise we would have had these since the 90s. They put out that toys r us 4 pack that sold like dog poo only because it was 50 bucks for four figures. And at that time Potf2 Figs were all the rage. If they had released those carded we might have gotten more... Seems Hasbro is desperate and throwing things at the wall and hoping something sticks.
    I really don’t know anything about Hasbro’s motives. 1995 was how long, 24 years ago? The Vintage Star Wars line had only ended 10 years prior to that and it wasn’t even referred to as “vintage” at that point. I could pick-up loose SW Kenner figures in the early-to-mid Nineties for $.99 a pop at a local comic store! The commemorative “Classic Edition 4-Pack” was released by Kenner as they re-launched the Power Of The Force toy line. It completely makes sense to me as to why they didn’t re-release the same line of figures at that time. They created new muscular figures then went full-on with creating a multitude of different lines. 34 years after the original line ended, I can only guess that the love / renewed interest in the now vintage Kenner line is at an all-time high, both by us first-generation SW Kenner kids and the new fans! Again this is ok by me... I don’t care why they’re doing it now, but I’m ok with it...
    Last edited by bespin_boy; 02-18-2019 at 09:52 PM.

Money. Why does that surprise you?
    The Spirit of Vengeance that detects and eradicates the menace of Toxic Fandom

I am because there are those that employ unmitigated vitriol towards the PT/ST to mask their racism, sexism and predatory nature. There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?

Also this is the direct result of companies like vadertrader making more money off their sandtroopers and fleet troopers than they. Made with the last wave of vintage collection snokes and jyn ursos
    It might help "thin" the market somewhat...I just sold my collection for probably the 20th time in my life and I might give these a go to see if they satisfy the desire to see my childhood favorites. In that case , the next time the nostalgia bug bites I might give these a try and if this is ongoing to include all the original line then that might just keep me from spending 400+ on another yak face or whatever. So that will be one less pile of cash chasing original vintage if that happens in my case

Quote Originally Posted by bespin_boy View Post
    I really don’t know anything about Hasbro’s motives. 1995 was how long, 24 years ago? The Vintage Star Wars line had only ended 10 years prior to that and it wasn’t even referred to as “vintage” at that point. I could pick-up loose SW Kenner figures in the early-to-mid Nineties for $.99 a pop at a local comic store! The commemorative “Classic Edition 4-Pack” was released by Kenner as they re-launched the Power Of The Force toy line. It completely makes sense to me as to why they didn’t re-release the same line of figures at that time. They created new muscular figures then went full-on with creating a multitude of different lines. 34 years after the original line ended, I can only guess that the love / renewed interest in the now vintage Kenner line is at an all-time high, both by us first-generation SW Kenner kids and the new fans! Again this is ok by me... I don’t care why they’re doing it now, but I’m ok with it...

Hasbro was Kenner's parent company since 1991. They closed down Kenner in 2000. But you are right, their motives are certainly not the same as they were 24 years ago.
    Last edited by comicalUser; 02-25-2019 at 06:04 PM.

Well, the positive side of all this is, IF they release all the figures, they will be around for another 40 years.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast