Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Revell Build & Play Star Destroyer

Custom Revell Build & Play Star Destroyer

This has been a labor of love and some madness, involved adding fiber optics whilst preserving the sound element to this kit that the kid in me just couldn't resist. For this I used 0.5mm filament and 5mm leds. Small cable ties are useful for bundling the strands together. I used 10mm blue leds for the engines which fit snugly into the bell housing, in the stock kit the engine lights remain on only while the sound is activated which lasts for less than 10 seconds so I integrated them with the other lights to stay on. I opened the sound/light module for this kit which wasn't easy as this part is glued together but once inside it was a matter of integrating the new lights into this circuit. Opted to run this on DC power adapter equivalent to that supplied by the three LR44 batteries of approx 4.5V. This meant adding a 20 ohm resister to mimic the internal resistance of an LR44 battery to the sound card and 82 ohm resisters for the lights in parallel. There are excellent online calculators for this, http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz. I added a 5mm socket to the battery cover. I decided not to use a switch, I had installed one which in the end seemed pointless as I tend to turn off all my stuff at the wall when not home. Painted using Tamiya acrylics with washes and oils dry brushed. Used soda straws for the led cups. I included some details although not technically correct for this version but I love the nostalgia look of the ANH version and wanted to honor that a little so added fins to the bells using thin plastic card and wire. The stand is from displaystandsdirect and is good for Revell or Zvezda kits.

All this just as Bandai announce the release of their excellent led 1/5000 scale offering....typical.

Enjoy!

I've got the base set, just painted. And while the upcoming LED version looks swell, yours is a work of art! There's something to be said both quality, skill, and pride wise of doing it yourself! Aces all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathspawn9000 View Post
    Wow! That's awesome!!!
    Thanks Deathspawn9000!

Quote Originally Posted by DarthPete View Post
    I've got the base set, just painted. And while the upcoming LED version looks swell, yours is a work of art! There's something to be said both quality, skill, and pride wise of doing it yourself! Aces all around.
    Thanks for your kind words DarthPete, this is my first serious attempt at an optic lighting project and hats off to those who take on bigger craft. This one tested my patience at times and I had to make some changes along the way. End result was the product of many hours and yes I do feel mostly relieved it actually works but also a sense of accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Montross View Post
    Incredible work!
    Cheers Montross!

Your amazing work is pretty inspiring. While I have no electrical skills, seeing this makes me want to tackle wiring for a diorama.

Quote Originally Posted by Utinniii View Post
    Your amazing work is pretty inspiring. While I have no electrical skills, seeing this makes me want to tackle wiring for a diorama.
    Boy my electrical skills are pretty average to Utinniii but I found using that calculator was a game changer. I've fried many an LED before now with poor understanding and using wrong formulas etc. I'm going to now redo my Bandai 144 scale Falcon also, by the time I get that functioning properly it will be a highly modified hunk of junk not unlike the movie thing, she'll have it where it counts though

Excellent Job!!!!
    The answer to every Star Wars question ever:
      Spoiler:  
    Its just a movie!!!!!!!!!!

Feedback BST
    I love this Bar! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU3_zzZQzx0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast