Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: This just in!!! Gentle Giant is under new ownership

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Jedi View Post
    I've been collecting GG for plenty long, but that's got nothing to do with nothing. You want to know why things happen in life, just follow the money. Most certainly DST spent a not insignificant amount of money purchasing whatever aspects of GG they did. They didn't spend this money just to flush it down the toilet - they're going to cultivate the aspects of GG that were profitable. The no-brainer here is to continue the Star Wars line, particularly the busts. Obviously, as Mike said above, they can't guarantee they're going to get the SW license, but short of that, the mini busts will be on.

" That's got nothing to do with nothing" - A double negative in the same sentence.
    " You want to know why things happen in life, just follow the money" - No auxiliary verb at the beginning of a question, and no punctuation mark at its end, plus a lecture about why things happen in life. Thank you for that.

I would wait to see how this whole deal affects all of us in the long run, before giving yourself too much credit and assuming everything will be peachy and great.
    Sith Apprentice
    My Trading Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
    " That's got nothing to do with nothing" - A double negative in the same sentence.
    " You want to know why things happen in life, just follow the money" - No auxiliary verb at the beginning of a question, and no punctuation mark at its end, plus a lecture about why things happen in life. Thank you for that.

I would wait to see how this whole deal affects all of us in the long run, before giving yourself too much credit and assuming everything will be peachy and great.
    You can be the grammar police all you want, but if you're going to quote me, please do so accurately and completely. There's a period at the end of that sentence - it wasn't a question.

But beyond that, I'm not giving myself credit for anything. Just look at the conversation with Chuck going on in the Q&A thread! It has never made sense for DST to acquire GG, and then wipe out the aspect of GG they're most well known for. I don't know how this will work out for any of our collections, but I am hopeful that the goals of collectors and DST are at least passably aligned.
    There is a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in
    - Leonard Cohen

I’m hopeful that costs maybe reduced as they make some really nice mini-busts already at half the price of the Gentle Giant pieces, not sure if that’s possible with the Star Wars mini-bust line but any savings would definitely welcome.
    "Look Sir, Droids"

Just picked up a Shoretrooper Mini Bust from Forbidden Planet.Com for 65.00. Seems them and Zavvi have had a influx of Mini busts, statues and classic busts from Rogue One and Force Awakens.
    GG must be clearing out the warehouse of old stock.

Happy with mine. Made me think of the times when that price of 65.00 was the norm for GG busts. Oh the good old days.
    Last edited by jediknight49; 02-21-2019 at 06:11 AM.
    If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will....

Yes, I’m recent years the prices have gone up with each new mini-bust it has seemed, glad it stopped at $120.00 but the day it became cheaper to buy direct rather than from a UK based retailer was a disappointment. Always nice to get a bargain from time to time though, bought all the mini-busts I don’t have in one of GG’s sales.
    "Look Sir, Droids"

Do you know what I find to be kind of sad? This year on May 19, marks the 20th anniversary of The Phantom Menace release in movie theaters, and while the film has been heavily criticized through the years either because of Jar-Jar or anything else for that matter, it undeniably marked a huge return to the Star Wars universe/franchise after a 16 year hiatus. I still remember camping outside the movie theater through the night, the day before its release, with my then pregnant wife (our son was born the week after), and sharing the passion for the return of the film with so many friendly fans. What a time that was! The movie theater being packed to its fullest with hundreds of screaming fans, some dressed in costumes ... and seeing everyone basically jump off their seats in excitement, plastic lightsabers in hand, when the: "A long, long time ago ..." projected on the screen, oh!. Two weeks prior to this or so, experiencing the Midnight Madness event at participating TRU stores was incredible! My wife an I were even interviewed for a local channel being she the only pregnant woman running around the store with a cart packed with action figures. Over $900.00 we spent that night. I felt I had found a buried treasure... so many battle droids! Toys R Us sold 1.25 million units of TPM product on one day!

That being said ... no product at all available for that film from Gentle Giant this year (none in years other than the announced 1/8 maul) having such wide range of characters at their disposal, from aliens to humans. Despite how some fans could feel about that film, it does mark an exciting time in Star Wars fandom history, brings back memories of a time when people were more friendly to each other, when cell phones weren't a necessity for a brain to operate, when the country was more united and less divided, when all of us were a bit more human and less technological. There should be more, never-released product from this film, GG/DST. Well, I guess I'm feeling a bit nostalgic today.
    Last edited by LightSword; 02-21-2019 at 01:15 PM.
    - The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge -

My Feedback , My Collection

Fleet Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by Kneel_Before_Zod View Post
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again... Dagobah Luke with Yoda on his back would be an amazing deluxe set.
    If they could do it with the Old Man Logan bust w/ the child, they can do it with Luke & Yoda.
    "Who's scruffy looking!?!?"

Fleet Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    However, I cannot say I am shocked. Star Wars went from an entire toy aisle when the TFA was announced at Target, with end caps and now is reduced to SHARING an aisle with the DC, Wrestling toys and has less than 1/3 of one side of an aisle.
    It's worse then that. I was recently in my local Wal-Mart and the Star Wars line we relegated to two rows of peg hooks with 4 pegs in each row. So it basically takes up about 12" - 18" of space.

I said this before. I remember the days of Wal-Mart having at least 24' of space for just action figures and another 24' of space on the other side of the aisle for other Star Wars items. TRU was the same way. There space would range between 24' & 36' and all of the pegs would be loaded with action figures and the other portion would be loaded with vehicles, etc.

But unfortunately, those days are gone.

Fleet Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by LightSword View Post
    Do you know what I find to be kind of sad? This year on May 19, marks the 20th anniversary of The Phantom Menace release in movie theaters, and while the film has been heavily criticized through the years either because of Jar-Jar or anything else for that matter, it undeniably marked a huge return to the Star Wars universe/franchise after a 16 year hiatus. I still remember camping outside the movie theater through the night, the day before its release, with my then pregnant wife (our son was born the week after), and sharing the passion for the return of the film with so many friendly fans. What a time that was! The movie theater being packed to its fullest with hundreds of screaming fans, some dressed in costumes ... and seeing everyone basically jump off their seats in excitement, plastic lightsabers in hand, when the: "A long, long time ago ..." projected on the screen, oh!. Two weeks prior to this or so, experiencing the Midnight Madness event at participating TRU stores was incredible! My wife an I were even interviewed for a local channel being she the only pregnant woman running around the store with a cart packed with action figures. Over $900.00 we spent that night. I felt I had found a buried treasure... so many battle droids! Toys R Us sold 1.25 million units of TPM product on one day!

That being said ... no product at all available for that film from Gentle Giant this year (none in years other than the announced 1/8 maul) having such wide range of characters at their disposal, from aliens to humans. Despite how some fans could feel about that film, it does mark an exciting time in Star Wars fandom history, brings back memories of a time when people were more friendly to each other, when cell phones weren't a necessity for a brain to operate, when the country was more united and less divided, when all of us were a bit more human and less technological. There should be more, never-released product from this film, GG/DST. Well, I guess I'm feeling a bit nostalgic today.
    LS,

Like you I remember all of it quite well. I remember I was at my girlfriend's parent's house the night of the TRU Phantom Menace Midnight release. I left there and went to the local TRU and stood in line like everyone else for a couple of hours waiting for the mad rush that would ensue at midnight. When it hit midnight, it's like the videos that they show now of the Black Friday rush for the sales. But this was all for one product. They had Star Wars stuff everywhere throughout the store. So you had to hit each place to make sure you didn't miss anything. I also spent a small fortune that night as well. I also hit the local Wal-Mart the next day to pick anything I may have missed out on.

Standing in that line was like sleeping out and being in line for concert tickets. But you never slept on those nights. And that's for all of us old enough to remember doing that. Those were some good times as well.

As for the movie, I didn't sleep out but was there hours early so that I was able to get in for the midnight premier. They had six screens showing the movie and each and every one was packed. When the crawl started, the place went nuts. Just like it was depicted in the movie Fanboys. It was an experience that you can only share with those who have a love for the films. Others won't get it. The saddest part of it all is that I don't see something like that ever happening again. Not even with the last film being released this year. It just seems like the interest isn't there.

I also like the movie and wish GG had done more characters from it as well as all of the other films and I wold have gladly spent my money on buying them. So, we'll have to wait and see if we have anything to look forward to under new ownership.
    Last edited by DC1376; 02-21-2019 at 02:01 PM.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112