Thread: lets talk about hoth imperial attack base

lets talk about hoth imperial attack base

i cant decide what to say about it its a really cool playset,
    with a ton of flaws.
    my biggest gripe is nothing snaps on. the arch way and roof bits as well as the ice walls just wall off when you look at it.
    still this is a great hoth playset.
    so lets here stories about it childhood memories collecting stories whatever
    lando's not a man he's a power blaster

It got a lot of playtime for me in my youth. Mainly just used the the base part, the bridge/command post attachments were too clumsy to deal with all the time.

Currently I have a loose complete one in the original box. Due to winds from the ceiling fan, I have opted not to set it up for display

It was a cool set designed with "action" play features, not sturdiness, to simulate the base being attacked. The biggest flaw is the title. It should have bee Rebel Something Base or just Rebel Base.

agreed. i feel like it should have been something like "imperial attack on the rebel base" but thats too wordy. also retrobasting might have been onto something since the atat and other hardware wasnt available early on so they had to give the empire something.
    im still waiting on a kenner video where the base is attacked by a fleet of mtv7s instead of atats

Quote Originally Posted by darthwalls View Post
    It was a cool set designed with "action" play features, not sturdiness, to simulate the base being attacked. The biggest flaw is the title. It should have bee Rebel Something Base or just Rebel Base.
    I think the title was fitting. Kenner made two rebel base play sets, rebel command center and hoth ice planet. I think giving the imperials an attack base was apt. I mean it wasn't much of a base, a couple of land mines and a quasi tripod laser cannon in the snow. I always looked at it as just a trench near the front lines of the assault on the rebel base.
    Last edited by StarFin; 02-12-2019 at 12:30 PM.

land mines? i thought those were roof parts for the archway
    Last edited by Jadesfire133336b; 02-12-2019 at 01:55 PM.

I really like this playset. Aside from the Ewok Village and Death Star playsets, the Imperial Attack Base has the best playability. Certainly the most playability of any ESB playset. I'm not counting Dagobah simply because you really can only use 4 figures there (Yoda, Luke, and R2). I'm sure Kenner saw it as a great way to help sell additional Snowtroopers, it was good marketing and it worked. Kids had to have multiples for their imperial hoth armies. Mine has been stored away for a while, box and all, but I think I may break it out of hiding tomorrow and put it in the SW room (you can follow my instagram @ wampasgottaeat2, I'll post update and collection pictures there). I've always wanted to pick up a second one and stage it as a Hoth Rebel Trenches playset. Yes, that's a good name.

thast what im doing just letting my vintage figures defend it from my modern figures and atat
    i used to use the robin hood playset (wish i still had it) as the ewok village if i get a vintage ewok vllage i may grab the leaves from rhpot for it