Thread: Early bird values please

Early bird values please

I am really interested in the early bird set so I am now beginning serious research to get my starting points.

I do see the trays loose for around 500 and pegs anywhere from 250 to 500. The individual figures sell in the baggies all the time, so someone has been breaking up sets. I'm guessing they were gong for DT luke and parting out the rest. Also the box alone goes for a pretty penny when they do surface from time to time.

Looking for ungraded set prices.

Thanks in advance
    Kevin
    Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

I've sold unopened bags of pegs for 150-200. Sometimes you csn find them a little cheaper. The same pegs are used in thr early bird and the sears cantina.

Early bird figures can be in sw-a b c and d baggies and there are lots of department store packs that had those figures in those baggies so it's common to mix and match from those.

The box is the hardest thing to get in nice shape.

I've seen DT bagged lukes sell for 2000-3000 the other figures are in the 200-300 range.

Watch out for fake coupons! There are a few watch out threads here from a few years ago describing tells of photocopied real early bird stand coupons.

Quote Originally Posted by porkinsred6 View Post
    I've sold unopened bags of pegs for 150-200. Sometimes you csn find them a little cheaper. The same pegs are used in thr early bird and the sears cantina.

Early bird figures can be in sw-a b c and d baggies and there are lots of department store packs that had those figures in those baggies so it's common to mix and match from those.

I've seen DT bagged lukes sell for 2000-3000 the other figures are in the 200-300 range.

Watch out for fake coupons! There are a few watch out threads here from a few years ago describing tells of photocopied real early bird stand coupons.
    So with the figures, pegs, tray...conservative estimate youre at around 5k. Then you still have to find a box. Sourcing all of the right stuff in good condition takes time. So depending on what you value your time at, paying a premium to have something graded and be a known quantity may be worth it some. Where for others they take pleasure in putting the whole set together. Neither is wrong or right.

If you mix the baggies up would they still grade the set?

Quote Originally Posted by Hanslanda View Post

If you mix the baggies up would they still grade the set?
    Yes I've seen many graded sets with mixed baggies. I'm sure there are valid combinations but I don't know I do know certain baggies require different catalog book etc. I'd check with an EB expert for that or just find graded sets online and keep the same baggies

I'm seeing loose complete sets for around 2000 but that's not with DT luke. Is that a decent price if all the pieces are legit? Box, pegs and paper work. Opened figures no baggies.

I know the figures are 100 each max loose complete so it seems a bit much for the rest of the set. Now if it had DT luke, I would have probably bought it. I'm definitely not in a hurry so I will be watching and reading up before jumping in.

I wish I had bought one years ago but never really thought about it. I was going for the complete set of figures. (96) Now it really seems my collection wouldn't be complete without the set that started the whole thing.
    Last edited by toyman941; 01-31-2019 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by porkinsred6 View Post

I have to admit, your limelight really started my interest in this set. You have a terrific display going on. I really enjoy the custom CAS set up you have. I'm going to buy the graded case for my complete knickerbocker lord of the rings figures. That took me 7 years to get all 6 figures and both horses complete with their accessories. That was a tough set to complete and worth a small fortune. I can buy a vinyl cape jawa and early bird set graded for the value of that knickerbocker set. I'm not parting with those.