Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 68

Thread: Truly sad video of the original Jar Jar Binks reaction.

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt60 View Post
    "If I fail it's because of Rian" - Mark Hamill

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=OIck-0PzJB8

    That was clearly a joke. I watched the whole video and Mark and Rian were very complimentary of each other. Is this really a video that “haters” are using to say Mark is on their side?

  2. #22
    this thread is not about "TLJ haters".
    it's about ahmed best's reaction to people hating jar jar.

    ---> compare to : Mark's reaction (re:people hating "NuLuke").
    this is a video which shows Marks' Reaction.

    Mark conducted himself as a true professional;
    Ahmed took it on the chin and tried to kill himself.



    conclusion: Ahmed should take a page from Mark's Book and declare : it's not my fault.
    "if I succeed it's because of GL and if I fail it's because of GL". [insert: audience laughter].

    my point here is: neither actor (Mark nor Ahmed) should accept "blame" for people hating their characters.
    it's NOT their fault.

    in the case of Luke, it's all down to Rain. ((Mark actually voiced his opinions on set -- and THEN he went against them)).
    Mark did everything he could to honor Rian's Vision -- success (or failure) is all because of Rian.

    in the case of Jar Jar, it's all down to GL.
    Ahmed did everything he could to honor GL's Vision -- success (or failure) is all because of GL.



    Is this really a video that “haters” are using to say Mark is on their side?
    I wouldn't know.
    Last edited by Cobalt60; 02-12-2019 at 01:32 PM.
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt60 View Post
    this thread is not about "TLJ haters".
    it's about ahmed best's reaction to people hating jar jar.

    ---> compare to : Mark's reaction (re:people hating "NuLuke").
    this is a video which shows Marks' Reaction.

    Mark conducted himself as a true professional;
    Ahmed took it on the chin and tried to kill himself.



    conclusion: Ahmed should take a page from Mark's Book and declare : it's not my fault.
    "if I succeed it's because of GL and if I fail it's because of GL". [insert: audience laughter].

    my point here is: neither actor (Mark nor Ahmed) should accept "blame" for people hating their characters.
    it's NOT their fault.

    in the case of Luke, it's all down to Rain. ((Mark actually voiced his opinions on set -- and THEN he went against them)).
    Mark did everything he could to honor Rian's Vision -- success (or failure) is all because of Rian.

    in the case of Jar Jar, it's all down to GL.
    Ahmed did everything he could to honor GL's Vision -- success (or failure) is all because of GL.





    I wouldn't know.
    We’re talking about a guy who didnt say anything for twenty years, and when he tells his story about being suicidal, he's accused of playing the victim card.

    Excuse me for finding your posts to be insensitive, but the dude tried to kill himself over the hate HE got for playing a fictional character.

    If Ahmed was being harrassed by so called “fans,” its up to fans to say thats not ok.
    Last edited by edbates; 02-12-2019 at 10:13 PM.

  4. #24
    yeah. I'm sorry if it might sound insensitive. I guess it probably does.
    but if Ahmed was being harassed by so-called "fans," its up to Ahmed to say if sticks and stones can break his bones.

    his reaction was NOT normal. and he SHOULD HAVE spoken up about this, a LONG time ago. he scores NO points, for keeping silent.
    (anyone who has thoughts of suicide needs to talk to someone. NOW. not 20 years from now).


    you seem to be forgetting that suicide is caused by mental illness.
    this is something that we ALL need to be more understanding of.
    AND more aware of.

    Ahmed should have told someone he was feeling this way. and he SHOULD HAVE received help for this 20 years ago.
    it's a travesty that he did not.

    I feel for the guy, in that he never got help... nor even talked to anyone... for 20 years after the fact that's incredibly sad.
    so yeah. I feel bad for him. (don't get me wrong). but I don't feel bad for disliking his performance.
    the audience has every right to dislike an actor's performance. and throw "rotten tomatoes", as they see fit.

    just as HE has every right, to NOT CARE WHAT PEOPLE THINK OF HIM!! (like I taught my own children)
    (like 99% of all millenials today LOL -- they are IMPERVIOUS to criticism, why? -- because they don't care WHAT you think! LOL)



    end of day: every actor gets bad reviews. it's part of the job.
    even actors who have been doing it for 40 years (like Mark). they take it in stride (like Mark). they conduct themselves as professionals (like Mark).
    bad reviews are to be expected, especially at the start of your career. and this was Ahmed's first try at this. he had never acted before. so what did he expect?
    his previous job was a dancer/percussionist in the stage production of "STOMP" -- he was a "theatrical musician" before this -- this was his first job as an actor.
    --> bad reviews are NORMAL for actors at the start of their career --> but Ahmed's reaction, was NOT normal. dude needs help. I hope he gets it. cheers.
    Last edited by Cobalt60; 02-13-2019 at 02:00 AM.
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

  5. #25
    Adults need to take responsibility for their choices/directions/initiates.

    Blaming others for your own shortcomings/failures/misfortunes is allowing others to control your worth and your life. SW fandom is overrun with loons— on both sides. As many as there may be losers that attack the actors/directors/producers personally, there are those that will take it personally when anyone criticizes these films. If Ahmed truly felt worthless and suicidal directly because of the attacks of some fans, then it’s mainly his problem and hopefully he had help in dealing with it. I’m not being “insensitive”, I’m being realistic by placing the context of what he went through in the film industry. It’s not a “normal” profession. It's a profession where your sole (and current) appearance and performance is being judged and determines your success and value. And those willingly participating in this warped reality needs to learn very early on not to take any bashings (casual “threats" included) remotely seriously. I hope Ahmed is in a better place— mentally and physically these days. And if Ahmed wants to blame someone, maybe George should have been the first person to point the finger at for writing and directing such a poorly-directed character.

    (But ti's so trendy to blame the “toxic” fandom of angry nerds these days rather than owning up to your lazy, soulless, and hollow offerings, isn’t it, Hollywood…???)

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    Adults need to take responsibility for their choices/directions/initiates.

    Blaming others for your own shortcomings/failures/misfortunes is allowing others to control your worth and your life. SW fandom is overrun with loons— on both sides. As many as there may be losers that attack the actors/directors/producers personally, there are those that will take it personally when anyone criticizes these films. If Ahmed truly felt worthless and suicidal directly because of the attacks of some fans, then it’s mainly his problem and hopefully he had help in dealing with it. I’m not being “insensitive”, I’m being realistic by placing the context of what he went through in the film industry. It’s not a “normal” profession. It's a profession where your sole (and current) appearance and performance is being judged and determines your success and value. And those willingly participating in this warped reality needs to learn very early on not to take any bashings (casual “threats" included) remotely seriously. I hope Ahmed is in a better place— mentally and physically these days. And if Ahmed wants to blame someone, maybe George should have been the first person to point the finger at for writing and directing such a poorly-directed character.

    (But ti's so trendy to blame the “toxic” fandom of angry nerds these days rather than owning up to your lazy, soulless, and hollow offerings, isn’t it, Hollywood…???)

    It goes the other way too. Just saying its the actors fault gives the crazies an out. Being rude and disrespectful should not be tolerated by anyone for any profession.

  7. #27
    ^^^ Absolutely.

    In an ideal society, genuine kindness, understanding and generosity would be instinctive traits in people. But the reality is, people remain malicious, manipulative, contrived and deceptive— while hiding behind the facades of preaching for “tolerance” and “respect”. And this facade of a “kinder, more inclusive and diverse” Hollywood is nothing more than any titanic business sensing the idealism/superior-complex of soundbite SM-culture of the times and going along with it because that’s what will profit these corporations. And blaming the “toxic” fandom— and generalizing everyone who is critical of this Sequel/nuSW as racist/sexist/bigoted deflects any responsibilities of the Disney corporation from actually offering any quality products.— or engaging in a constructive discussion.

    Those that take SW so personally— on both sides, aren’t mentally-healthy. I suppose I’ve never been passionate enough to “hate” anything of SW, when the “real world” is so full of destruction worthy of true hate. This Sequel is the epitome of reductive entertainment, but I’ve never felt anger, let alone “hate” towards creatively-bankrupt, business-as-usual people like Kathy/JJ/Rian. I, like many others, see through their gimmicks. And they'd prefer to call us names...

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    ^^^ Absolutely.

    In an ideal society, genuine kindness, understanding and generosity would be instinctive traits in people. But the reality is, people remain malicious, manipulative, contrived and deceptive— while hiding behind the facades of preaching for “tolerance” and “respect”. And this facade of a “kinder, more inclusive and diverse” Hollywood is nothing more than any titanic business sensing the idealism/superior-complex of soundbite SM-culture of the times and going along with it because that’s what will profit these corporations. And blaming the “toxic” fandom— and generalizing everyone who is critical of this Sequel/nuSW as racist/sexist/bigoted deflects any responsibilities of the Disney corporation from actually offering any quality products.— or engaging in a constructive discussion.

    Those that take SW so personally— on both sides, aren’t mentally-healthy. I suppose I’ve never been passionate enough to “hate” anything of SW, when the “real world” is so full of destruction worthy of true hate. This Sequel is the epitome of reductive entertainment, but I’ve never felt anger, let alone “hate” towards creatively-bankrupt, business-as-usual people like Kathy/JJ/Rian. I, like many others, see through their gimmicks. And they'd prefer to call us names...

    Kathy/JJ/Rian never called me any names. Nor have I heard of them ever being disrespectful towards “fans.” It seems to me that you are hearing and seeing what you want to.

  9. #29
    ^^^ Of course they’re not calling you names— you’re gleefully lapping up all their sh*t! They love you LOL

  10. #30
    this thread got me thinking...

    one of the things I like about SW is the fact that the storytelling relies on 'fresh faces' (from relatively unknown actors). afterall, part of the allure of SW is the fact that we are seeing "stuff" on screen that we've never seen before, not even in our imaginations -- Xwings, TIE fighters, walking Armored-Elephant-Things -- this spectacle is only reinforced by the fact that Our Heroes are also unknown to us. ((read: TFA would be a whole different animal with Selena Gomez and Justin Beiber as Rey/Ren -- just as ANH would have been a different animal with Sissy Spacek and John Travolta as Leia/Luke)). I think having "familiar faces" in the key roles would take us out of AGFFA and constantly jerk us back to the Real World (unless of course it's Alec Guiness or Liam Neeson because they are just good at their craft); but having "fresh faces" like Daisey Ridley actually helps the audience to maintain the fantasy. so basically: I think "fresh faces" are required in SW, to maintain the Fantasy element. simply put.

    but the flip side of that coin is "inexperienced actors". actors who have NOT paid their dues in Hollywood, therefore, they are NOT equipped to deal with the pressures of being thrust into such an ENORMOUS spotlight. Ahmed Best had never acted before, in anything. he was cast for his "gait" and his body language, as evidenced in the Broadway production of "STOMP". he had never acted before in his life (let alone created his own cartoon voice for a character like jar jar in a movie as widely seen as SW). this led to (a) unrealistic expectations on his part (as he reveals in his heartfelt video), he actually thought this SW gig was going to launch him into a serious acting career like Harrison Ford -- he thought it would be the start of something BIG -- and he was CRUSHED when it didn't happen for him; and (b) he had no idea how to deal with "rejection". which is 99% of an actor's job during those first years while he is "paying his dues" (so to speak). to be blunt: Ahmed had No Clue. he was NOT prepared for the spotlight he was thrust into; (nor was Jake Lloyd; nor it would seem, was Kelly Marie Tran); and "Hollywood" cruelly ate him alive.

    back in 1977, the "Big Three" had Carrie to guide them LOL she knew "Hollywood" like the back of her hand, she knew how to play the system, and she did NOT take it seriously. There's no doubt she helped Mark along the way. Meanwhile Harrison had been to Hollywood-and-back, he was completely jaded by the system, so there was NO WAY he was going to take it all personally LOL. looking back on history, it seems like these three were uniquely prepared for what was about to happen.

    but now, the SW formula requires "fresh faces" in a time when NO young actor could be "prepared" for THIS particular spotlight. Boyega seems to be handling it the best. he just grins and says "...don't care, mate" and just shrugs off all criticism with flippant humor. it's kind of annoying in a way, because in interviews, he never seems to take his job seriously (the way Mark does). but at the same time, it's a perfect defense shield, so I can see why he does it.

    --> Ahmed should take a page from Boyega's Book, as well as Marks LOL every time somebody says they don't like jar jar he could just smile and say "..don't care, mate" ((and/or blame the Director)) LOL cheers!
    Last edited by Cobalt60; 02-17-2019 at 02:15 PM.
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •