Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BrickLink AFOL Designer Program

BrickLink AFOL Designer Program

I don't see an official thread on this topic, so please merge this with the appropriate thread if I missed it. However, I thought my fellow Lego collectors around here might want to be aware of this program, as it is coming down to the crowdfunding stage. BrickLink and Lego have teamed up to create a program through which various AFOL designs are going to be turned into boxed sets. Lego has said they won't be Lego branded, but they will carry the Lego 60th Anniversary logo, which makes them seem somewhat official to me. These sets will only be available through BrickLink, and I'm not sure how much publicity they're going to get outside of the AFOL community.

Indications are that there will be 16 sets up for crowdfunding, and eight have been revealed thus far. I'm not technologically savvy enough to paste pictures here, so I'll link the page with the announcement of the finalists:

https://studio.bricklink.com/v2/buil...r_winners.page

I'll update this post as the other finalists are revealed

FINALISTS

1) Viking Ship 3D Mosaic
    2) Clovershire Castle
    3) Science Tower
    4) Antique Fire Engine
    5) Hot Shot Carnival
    6) Skyline Express
    7) The LEGO Story
    8) Isle of Peril
    9)
    10)
    11)
    12)
    13)
    14)
    15)
    16)

Go take a look and consider which sets you might support.
    There is a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in
    - Leonard Cohen

I didn't want to pollute the primary topic post with my opinions - that's what this post is for!

Viking Ship 3D Mosaic - I like a nice Lego ship as much as the next person, but this set isn't my cup of tea. I'd have much preferred a full-on Viking ship. Unlikely I'll support this one.
    Clovershire Castle - I like some of the detailing in this set, but it's just a little small for my taste. I guess the word "castle" has me thinking too big.
    Science Tower - This is my favorite of the first eight revealed. I like the design, and I'm a science geek at heart. This is a definite order for me.
    Antique Fire Engine - This looks rather nicely done. I don't know if it's technically to scale with the Creator Expert cars that have been released over the last several years, but I could certainly see displaying it with them.
    Hot Shot Carnival - This is another definite order for me. It's out of scale with the current carnival sets (which is too bad) but I still enjoy the theme
    Skyline Express - I'm guessing this will go over well with the train/monorail fans out there. Another one that's not really my thing,
    The LEGO Story - This seems to be a set for the true Lego enthusiast. I confess I don't care that much about Lego's history. I know...blasphemy.
    Isle of Peril - This set reminds me a lot of the initial Minecraft microworld sets. I didn't care for those at all, and this doesn't look much better to me.
    - Leonard Cohen

I briefly touched on this is in an article of the Forma crowdfunding programme, but since it wasn't going to include any SW builds my interest went off the boil.

I do like The LEGO Story proposal though.

If it closed up to a square and came with a roof I'd be throwing money at the crowdfunding campaign.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 01-22-2019 at 12:52 AM.
    LEGO Star Wars content manager - Rebelscum
    LEGO Star Wars forum administrator - Rebelscum
    RLFM Representative - LEGO Ambassador Network

I remember hearing about this months ago, but it completely fell off my radar until now. Excited to see which sets will be available for crowdfunding!

The original link is throwing an error. Anyone have an updated link?

Quote Originally Posted by oneknightr View Post
    The original link is throwing an error. Anyone have an updated link?
    It's working fine for me. Goto Bricklink - it's in their header.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    It's working fine for me. Goto Bricklink - it's in their header.
    So odd. It's working now but thanks! It might be a work firewall thing that threw the error earlier.

Hot Shot carnival looks cool but definitely not to scale with the current amusement park sets are DJ originally mentioned. The only other set that piques my interest is Skyline Express. It definitely brings back monorail memories.

Well, I forgot that we can't edit posts any longer, so I'm copying my original list here. We've got four new sets added to the list, including a 2000 piece castle that hearkens back to the classic Castle theme. Now I'm hoping there's a classic Space set in the last four.

I'll continue to update this list as the last finalists are revealed

FINALISTS

1) Viking Ship 3D Mosaic
    2) Clovershire Castle
    3) Science Tower
    4) Antique Fire Engine
    5) Hot Shot Carnival
    6) Skyline Express
    7) The LEGO Story
    8) Isle of Peril
    9) Lowenstein Castle
    10) Bikes!
    11) Imagine It! Build It!
    12) Steampunk Mini Chess
    13)
    14)
    15)
    16)
    - Leonard Cohen

The final sets have been announced:

FINALISTS

1) Viking Ship 3D Mosaic
    2) Clovershire Castle
    3) Science Tower
    4) Antique Fire Engine
    5) Hot Shot Carnival
    6) Skyline Express
    7) The LEGO Story
    8) Isle of Peril
    9) Lowenstein Castle
    10) Bikes!
    11) Imagine It! Build It!
    12) Steampunk Mini Chess
    13) Wild West Saloon
    14) Eight Studs
    15) Vintage Roadster
    16) Poseidonia
    - Leonard Cohen

I quite like the Bikes set, but it looks a ride-hire scheme and they don't work in my LEGO town.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 01-27-2019 at 04:47 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast