Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IF Disney/Kathleen Kennedy Wanted to Humiliate Luke Skywalker What Will They Do Next

uhm.... where are you getting this stuff from?
    dude. he is not "in charge" of all facts.
    he is only in charge of "keeping track" of all facts.
    he does NOT write stories.
    he only KEEPS TRACK of stories.
    he does NOT determine what the franchise is about.
    he was a VIDEO GAME TESTER before he got this job....
    ....and he's NOT in charge of the story group (OMG). that would be Kiri Hart*

you say, he's been doing this job since the EU... (and look how well THAT turned out)....
    ... but the story group was only founded in 2012 -- are we even talking about the same thing?

(the story group did not exist at the time of the EU, when Leland Chee was a game tester for LucasArts;
    the "story group" STARTED in 2012, under the direction of Kiri Hart)*

it only exists to prevent contradictions between platforms.
    they are not the gurus at the top of the mountain, responsible for the creative direction of every star wars story**
    they are the corporate equivalent of a VISUAL DICTIONARY -- they are basically just a "reference library", to act as a "sounding board", to assist the writers, in telling coherent stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanity Fair
    What the story group does NOT do, Hart said, is impose plot-point mandates on the filmmakers.

Johnson told me he was surprised at how much leeway he was given to cook up the action of Episode VIII from scratch**.
    https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...over-portfolio

https://www.reddit.com/r/saltierthan...re_their_main/

^^ the writers (like Rian Johnson) will "bounce" ideas off the story group,
    to see if there are any in-universe contradictions they need to be aware of.

but, much like the old EU, the writers are free to do whatever they please**.
    the story group does NOT mandate plot points.

Did you guys have moments where you thought Kathleen Kennedy or the story group wouldn’t go for some of the bigger, shocking elements of the movie?

Rian
    :...the truth is, it wasn’t so much that they were policing me or reining me in.
    If anything, I would be drawing it all out and it would lead me to a place where a big decision would happen
    and I would think, “Oh my god, is this OK? Can I do this?” And I would put it in front of them and most of the time they would say,
    “Yeah, that is a big crazy move, go for it.” It was more about protecting me from censoring and self-editing myself out of fear...
    ^^ read: the story group encouraged him to do whatever he wanted, they actually tried to prevent him from "self-editing" his OWN ideas.

Were there any big decisions that the story group and Kathleen Kennedy sort of stopped in their tracks and had to take a deep breath and think over?
    Rian: I mean, we thought about all of it extensively and talked about them and talked them through. There was nothing that got nixed out of fear...
    ^^ read : the story group functions as a SOUNDING BOARD for the writers' ideas. they are NOT "co-writers".
    they only "ASSIST" the actual writers, to tell, whatever stories the writers WANT to tell (helping them to 'place' their stories, within the SW universe)**
    here again : they do NOT mandate plot points -- they only 'keep track' of plot points, to prevent contradictions between platforms.

-=====-

Under their guidance, the franchise’s narratives are linked no matter the platform, whether it’s television, games, theme parks, publishing, merchandise or, of course, film... they don’t see themselves as gatekeepers but as partners furthering the stories their creators want to tell.... Kathleen Kennedy founded the group in 2012 when she succeeded George Lucas as president of Lucasfilm, putting Kiri Hart, a former film and TV writer, in charge of the unit. Ms. Hart’s first move was to make the story group entirely female...
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/22/movies/star-wars-last-jedi-women-run-universe.html

-=====-

NOBODY told Rian Johnson what to write -- not even Leeland Chee! (ROFL!)

according to Rian, the "story group" had their discussions without him (see below).

but in the end, he was allowed to do whatever he wanted -- and "nothing got nixed".

Last edited by Cobalt60; 01-28-2019 at 05:52 AM.
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Your_Scoundrel View Post
    Something he has been doing every since George Lucas allowed an Expanded Universe to be made
    GL "allowed the EU to be made" in 1978 -- Leland Chee got his start as a "game tester" on the Episode1 video game -- there is NO WAY he was in charge of the "Story Group" back then.

the "Story Group" did not exist back then. it started in 2012, under the direction of Kiri Hart. we are OBVIOUSLY talking about 2 different things. cheers.
    Last edited by Cobalt60; 01-28-2019 at 05:46 AM.
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

Im suprised that no one has made the connection between Luke and King Arthur.

One of my favorite movies growing up was Excaliber. Lukes life mirrors Arthurs pretty much to a T. Arthur even gives up after a betrayal, and must be reminded of where his rightful place is by a untemptable Knight who came from nothing. Arthur must also face his evil nephew(son) in the final battle. I would argue that Rian was making a homage film with the Last Jedi.

If you guys havent seen Excaliber, go check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by edbates View Post
    Im suprised that no one has made the connection between Luke and King Arthur.

One of my favorite movies growing up was Excaliber. Lukes life mirrors Arthurs pretty much to a T. Arthur even gives up after a betrayal, and must be reminded of where his rightful place is by a untemptable Knight who came from nothing. Arthur must also face his evil nephew(son) in the final battle. I would argue that Rian was making a homage film with the Last Jedi.

If you guys havent seen Excaliber, go check it out.
    Lucas did use the story of King Arthur as one of his insperations for Star Wars so it makes sense that Rain would also use it

"the king without a sword; the land without a king..?"

Luke/Arthur is betrayed by a rival for his wife's affections..? a fellow knight, whom he "tricked" into service, takes the time to **** Luke's wife..?
    (not quite the same).

so what does Arthur/Luke do..? he takes "Excalibur", and tosses it over his shoulder like week-old chips, with an eye-roll at his "future student"?
    (not quite the same).

I dunno. I loved Excalibur, but I'm just not seeing it.

for a true Tribute to Excalibur: watch "Ready Player One". LOL

"anal nathrak, uthvas bethud, do che-ol di-enve!" LOL
    Last edited by Cobalt60; 02-12-2019 at 02:18 AM.

A dream to some. A nightmare to others!

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt60 View Post
    "the king without a sword; the land without a king..?"

Luke/Arthur is betrayed by a rival for his wife's affections..? a fellow knight, whom he "tricked" into service, takes the time to **** Luke's wife..?
    (not quite the same).

so what does Arthur/Luke do..? he takes "Excalibur", and tosses it over his shoulder like week-old chips, with an eye-roll at his "future student"?
    (not quite the same).

I dunno. I loved Excalibur, but I'm just not seeing it.

for a true Tribute to Excalibur: watch "Ready Player One". LOL

"anal nathrak, uthvas bethud, do che-ol di-enve!" LOL

Seems pretty close to me. Obviously some things are diffent, but the whole idea of having our hero mope around is what caught my eye. The fact that both stories have a character(Rey/Percival) searching for a way to bring back this Hero to save the kingdom should be an obvious connection.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123