Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Focus Collecting

Focus Collecting

It's been a while since anyone has done one of these. Do you focus collect? Where are you at with your focus? What's your reason for your particular focus?

For me I have a few mini focus. I'm focused primarily on completing a mint to near mint loose run (getting close), but I also collect any and all things Hoth related. I just can't seem to get enough of it. I pick up not only the toys, but cards, tins, posters, coloring books, magazine, you name it. The weirder the better. The biggest reason I accumulate Hoth collectibles, other than because ESB is the greatest movie, is because I always enjoyed the vast array of Kenner toys. Both 3 3/4" and micro. The playsets are great, the vehicles are fantastic, and the figures are incredible. Last year I started ratcheting the focus up even more by targeting in on the Snowtrooper. He's easily my favorite figure in the entire line. Yes I know how ironic that is due to my name on here, but the guy just has this feel to him that seems to suggest that he is the ultimate soldier. I've been slowly picking up anything that has a Snowtrooper on it whether it's vintage or modern and I don't even collect modern. Dialing the Snowtrooper focus in better this year I can tell is going to do more damage to my wallet than an unshield tie fighter flying through an asteroid field. Can anyone say Uzay? hahaha. One day, but not today. So what's your focus?

I focus on 76-79 original star wars. In addition to toys I also collect posters and other theater related memorabilia. For 20 years I only collected sealed boxes or MOCs but about 5 years ago I started getting loose first 21 and their variants too.

I have most of what I'm after and slowly paring down my collection of duplicates and non-sw era stuff

Quote Originally Posted by WampasGottaEat2 View Post
    It's been a while since anyone has done one of these. Do you focus collect? Where are you at with your focus? What's your reason for your particular focus?

For me I have a few mini focus. I'm focused primarily on completing a mint to near mint loose run (getting close), but I also collect any and all things Hoth related. I just can't seem to get enough of it. I pick up not only the toys, but cards, tins, posters, coloring books, magazine, you name it. The weirder the better. The biggest reason I accumulate Hoth collectibles, other than because ESB is the greatest movie, is because I always enjoyed the vast array of Kenner toys. Both 3 3/4" and micro. The playsets are great, the vehicles are fantastic, and the figures are incredible. Last year I started ratcheting the focus up even more by targeting in on the Snowtrooper. He's easily my favorite figure in the entire line. Yes I know how ironic that is due to my name on here, but the guy just has this feel to him that seems to suggest that he is the ultimate soldier. I've been slowly picking up anything that has a Snowtrooper on it whether it's vintage or modern and I don't even collect modern. Dialing the Snowtrooper focus in better this year I can tell is going to do more damage to my wallet than an unshield tie fighter flying through an asteroid field. Can anyone say Uzay? hahaha. One day, but not today. So what's your focus?
    you sound like me only for me its cloud city instead of hoth (hoth is great too!) i dont really focus but i do like any and all shaak ti figures (not vintage i know but it is a focus i have in modern collecting)
    in vintage i like leia. i dont know why if its because of carrie fishers death or something else but suddenly i just love leia so much more than i did (and she was always one of my favorite characters) ive managed to hunt down all the leias in vintage(anh hoth bespin endor boushh) i just need to complete them all (except for boussh) with weapons and a cape for anh leia. im not going to buy a million figures of her just one of each.
    after that im going to start on the 6 inch line and get my favorite leias there as well as any other modern leias i need.
    i just ordered the sote comic pack leia but im off topic gotta stay on vintage.
    lando's not a man he's a power blaster

My focus was

A complete set of figures with 80 to 85 grades or as clean as possible loose /complete (finished)
    A complete set of large kenner figures loose/complete (finished)
    Not all but most vehicles and playsets (still missing an A wing, B wing, reble command center, tie interceptor and damaged tie)
    Complete set of cases (have all but 1, the vinyl case with wampa on it )
    1 of each release card back moc. Exe: 12 back, esb, rotj and potf. (Finished)
    Paper work inserts ( not really sure if I can ever say complete because I'm always finding cool paper work and there are tons of examples)
    Mailers (have a few including a Han popy)
    A couple of boxed items (have an opened speeder bike and a couple of boxed items)

I may start with a few micro pieces. Not sure yet.
    F.S.C.M.E. Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

I focus collect sporadically on select characters. I recall when The Force Awakens came out, I had to have anything and everything of First Order Snowtroopers. Then that focus became Greedo. Greedo to Zuckuss. Zuckuss to TIE Fighter Pilot. Currently, I guess my focus is the vintage line.
    "Evacuate? In our moment of triumpth? I think you overestimate their chances!"

Not when I first started re-collecting as an adult in 1999. I wanted it all (loose, MOC, MIB ). After achieving that, I started after baggies, 2 packs, and 3 packs. 3 packs got too pricey, so I went after 2 packs exclusively - which were endlessly fascinating and entertaining. It became a focus, and my research into them (and generously shared knowledge) led to me becoming known as "Jimmy 2 Pack". Along the way, I picked up other foci as well: Yoda, R2-D2, etc. I still never felt comfortable calling my self a focus collector though.
    Last edited by Jimmy_2Pack; 01-17-2019 at 09:48 PM.

im like you jimmy im more sporadic on it i havent bought any shaak tis in years (still want a tfu version) and with all the darth vader gifts ive received over the years you might consider him a focus too
    im also super crazy about captain phasma too currently i only have the two pack with finn but i want a 12 inch 6 inch and some others as well.
    lando's not a man he's a power blaster

I love the idea of focus collecting and have great respect for those that can strictly stick with one or two characters.I have two main character focus runs: Jawa and Leia Organa. The Jawa run started back in late 2011 and the Leia one in late 2012. The Jawa is my favorite character as an adult and Leia Organa was one of my childhood favorites.

I also have smaller mini runs for Greedo, Walrusman, and Tuscan Raider, because it’s hard for me to just stay focused on two characters and these characters also bring back wonderful memories from childhood. I like having some focus with my collecting, while still giving myself the freedom to branch out a bit.
    Wanted: Jawa sample proofs,a textured cape Leia, and any Boushh proofs. I'm also currently looking for a 21 ESB back Leia Organa proof. I have cash and many great trade items!
    My Feedback:http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1070625/

After completing my childhood loose collection with the weapons I was missing, I decided to focus on non-MOC Farmboys. Non-MOC for three reasons: 1) Cost. MOC's are significantly more pricey. 2) I do worry a bit about bubbles falling off and lifting. 3) I like to be able to handle my toys

I've primarily focused on loose Farmboys and bootlegs, foreign cardbacks, baggies, and have landed a few preproduction pieces that are the highlight of the collection. ... At this point, I still need an Aussie Orange Hair, a scarred COO PBP loose, and then starting to dip my toes into mailer sets.

Focusing on Luke has prevented me from going off the rails and trying to just collect anything and everything, but I also truly enjoy the tiny differences between them all, the subtleties that most people wouldn't even notice... And therrer's just something so iconic about THAT figure in particular. It's where it all began!

Quote Originally Posted by teach42 View Post
    After completing my childhood loose collection with the weapons I was missing, I decided to focus on non-MOC Farmboys. Non-MOC for three reasons: 1) Cost. MOC's are significantly more pricey. 2) I do worry a bit about bubbles falling off and lifting. 3) I like to be able to handle my toys

I've primarily focused on loose Farmboys and bootlegs, foreign cardbacks, baggies, and have landed a few preproduction pieces that are the highlight of the collection. ... At this point, I still need an Aussie Orange Hair, a scarred COO PBP loose, and then starting to dip my toes into mailer sets.

Focusing on Luke has prevented me from going off the rails and trying to just collect anything and everything, but I also truly enjoy the tiny differences between them all, the subtleties that most people wouldn't even notice... And therrer's just something so iconic about THAT figure in particular. It's where it all began!
    Hello fellow farmboy collector! I too have quite a few missing the same ones you are plus a glasslite and Hungarian. I'm a perfectionist and need mint complete examples and the prices for those accessories is just too crazy for me.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast