Thread: Grading Companies - who are the trusted companies???

Grading Companies - who are the trusted companies???

I come from a baseball card and autograph background and, for good or bad, PSA and SGC are the market leaders in that industry. What are the equivalents in Vintage SW figures. I assume AFA but see others mentioned often. I have limited focus for grading as I only hope to assemble first 12 in AFA 80 and have four figures already (DV, TR, HS & Chewy). Anyone I should stay away from??? Thanks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll find a some folks will pull heavy in one way or the other, but AFA and CAS are both good companies. You're safe with either.

AFA and CAS in the United States. UKG in the UK. I wouldn't trust any other companies.

Lieutenant Commander Your_Scoundrel's Avatar

Right now the only North American options are AFA and CAS. While that in the UK and regions near it is UKG. So there is not any that stayed long enough to have us warn you about.

- When it comes to CAS, please note that a 90 day turnaround with their Museum Archival upgrade will cost you around $50, minus shipping costs and insurance. With $100 more you can get it back in 7 days.
    - When it comes to AFA, $110 will give you the Archival package: UV resistance upgrade and a 7-10 day turnaround. This also does not include shipping costs and insurance.

I highly recommend that you get the upgrade because the standard cases are not made to keep UV from hitting the figures, bubble, and/or card. So having it will also help maximize your investment while you collect these figures. And be able to do so anywhere that is not a closet or a windowless room.

Plus I have done business with both AFA and VGA, their video game counterpart. But because I made a mistake on purchasing a few pre-Disney "Vintage" figures, I have to hope that selling those will help me try out CAS. So for business and turn-around, it will be around another few weeks before I can say which one is better.

And I also know nothing about UKG outside the point that I do enjoy their cases. Which is all I can say about them right now.

I like what I have seen with the custom CAS cases. I just completed my loose set of knickerbocker lord of the rings figures. It took me over 7 years to collect all 8 pieces. They are worth a ton. A very hard set to complete seeing how even ebay only has 25 to 30 pieces listed on average. Most of the time they are Frodos and most are missing pieces. I will be grading these. I may look into Cas because of their custom cases. I also have the button set, so I'm thinking a custom case would serve me well.
    Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

I just spent some time looking through the cas site, and I have to admit I'm really impressed . They have great cases that display pieces. I almost bought the rebo band case. I love the way the pieces sit inside without the AFA assembly line look.

I also really like the no grade option with validation of the piece. I am still convinced the grade is the big issue when it comes to buying and selling, and not the validity of the piece. Sellers chase numbers period. Hence they destroy beater mocs or other sealed figures to get the highest grades.

With the way repros are going, we may need to think about grading just to secure our high end pieces. After all, if we need to use insurance , we can now fall into the burden of proof. Insurance lawyers are experts when it comes to payouts, and I'm sure they understand the toy collection markets. A collector can say their priceless star wars mint loose collection has gone, and have all repro weapons. When they get caught, it just looks really bad for the rest that don't have repros.

I will be thinking pretty hard on this now but only on my high end items.
    Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

I have had some super-rare items that UKG were not confident to authenticate /grade even though I knew they were the real deal. Ended up having to ship them across the pond.
    May you live in interesting times.

Quote Originally Posted by Original12 View Post
    I come from a baseball card and autograph background and, for good or bad, PSA and SGC are the market leaders in that industry. What are the equivalents in Vintage SW figures. I assume AFA but see others mentioned often. I have limited focus for grading as I only hope to assemble first 12 in AFA 80 and have four figures already (DV, TR, HS & Chewy). Anyone I should stay away from??? Thanks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AFA, UKG are good. Stay AWAY from CAS, no one wants to talk about it, but CAS is not entirely trusted by the community. CAS is not a market leader either so it wont fit your criteria. Just look at ebay and you can see how their prices dont even keep up with AFA graded SW vintage items and furthermore, CAS is still new, no one knows if they will really be around in the future. AFA and UKG are established companies. But read the thread, its a long one

Read this lengthy thread on here to find out more about CAS

https://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1134869

Original 12, don't listen to Hoth My Fav. He is the local troll that only plugs AFA. I'm surprised it took him this long to make his anti-CAS speech. AFA and CAS are both just fine. Both companies do tons of grades and the turn around time can be slow with either due to the volume they handle.